Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice work. I found a local source here in central Virginia who did my front bumper for $250 total. (I had already done my own hood). Llumar film that had ceramic already embedded in it is what he used. I used the basic offering from northtints for my hood.
Anyways, he came to my home and did it inside my garage. Took him about two hours. He said the S/X bumpers for the refresh are actually "easy". He had a plotter inside his work van and used precut film. Only small issue I could see (and its minor) is here two sections of the PPF come together at the ends of the lower horizontal portion of the front bumper. Again, relatively minor. Rest looks great to me.

Good luck on the rest of your job!
Good to know. I live in MD DC VA metro area. If you don't mind letting me know the installer POC that did your bumper? That's an awesome price for it. And I'm willing to drive down to VA as long as I don't any rock chips on the way lol.

Reactions: zoomer0056
same here
If you've never installed PPF before then it's best to practice first. I removed that ugly front license plate holder. It was a perfect piece to start on. It is small so you can get free PPF samples to try. It has flat surfaces, curved surfaces and wrappable edges. Then I bought some precut pieces for areas on the S that are out of sight. The rocker panels were the first real pieces I applied. It was difficult because I was rolling on the ground. These pieces helped me get a good feel for PPF, how it moves, stretches and how to tack. These first pieces also helped me develop my own process and verify I had the right tools. Like everything in life, if you're not a natural you gotta practice and learn.

Reactions: DimaCA
Nice work. I found a local source here in central Virginia who did my front bumper for $250 total. (I had already done my own hood). Llumar film that had ceramic already embedded in it is what he used. I used the basic offering from northtints for my hood.
Anyways, he came to my home and did it inside my garage. Took him about two hours. He said the S/X bumpers for the refresh are actually "easy". He had a plotter inside his work van and used precut film. Only small issue I could see (and its minor) is here two sections of the PPF come together at the ends of the lower horizontal portion of the front bumper. Again, relatively minor. Rest looks great to me.

Good luck on the rest of your job!
Do you still have the information for the guy in Central Virginia?

Hi All,
I was reading this thread while searching for PPF. i had my latest 2023 Model Y 2 weeks back. I am planning to do DIY. May i know where did you guys buy complete kit ? I am from Frisco, TX, let me know if any professional service references you know and their charges in case if it is viable then i will go with outside service.

Hi All,
I was reading this thread while searching for PPF. i had my latest 2023 Model Y 2 weeks back. I am planning to do DIY. May i know where did you guys buy complete kit ? I am from Frisco, TX, let me know if any professional service references you know and their charges in case if it is viable then i will go with outside service.
I bought Expel precut PPF from Chris Renoson in BC Canada. Renoson Auto Films | Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coating Installers
Chris was the best to work with! He also sells precut window tint.

Last edited:
Reactions: DimaCA
Yes they deliver to USA. No USA taxes and the USD is strong against CAD.
I spoke to owner Chris. He is very nice explaining me details and pointing to me options in his website. Now i need to make final call to see if i can do DIY or go with professional service. I am afraid that i could go wrong while putting film on Bumper and fender. i see chirs videos very helpful but still unable to take dare step.

I spoke to owner Chris. He is very nice explaining me details and pointing to me options in his website. Now i need to make final call to see if i can do DIY or go with professional service. I am afraid that i could go wrong while putting film on Bumper and fender. i see chirs videos very helpful but still unable to take dare step.
If I can do so can you. Here's a thread describing my journey with Xpel PPF and Chris. DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S

Reactions: GoodKarma
If I can do so can you. Here's a thread describing my journey with Xpel PPF and Chris. DIY PPF on 2022 Blue Model S
In my case, that was the first time doing PPF ever. It turned out quite nicely. If I compare to professionally-done bumpers and fenders on two other cars, I would say I did a better job (it took me much longer than what a professional would spend). I did end up with a couple air bubbles but after piercing them, you cannot see them anymore. I would say go for it. The easiest would be the head lights (and they are small, easy to redo), fog lights. The front bumper is the most complicated part (but doable). I had some troubles with rear bumper (part near the hatch). For some reason, the film needed to be stretched and convinced a bit to go there properly but it turned out very well.

Zoomer has a nice thread that he referenced. It helped me a lot.

If you can get some help, it would be very useful. Even a kid that can spray the film and help you keep it in place would be very helpful for a large piece (like bumper).

Thanks all, very informative posts about PPF.

did some digging and didn't want to waste $2000 down the toilet if it doesn't plan out...

I think I will order a PPF from China that has great reviews. the whole model S 2023 would cost about $605 including shipping ( uncut, full roll .,60"x49ft).

7.5mil thickness
10 yrs warranty
coating tech .05mil
urethane - Lubrizol estane
adhesive - Ashland
Elongation at Break 225%
Peel strength 25n/cm
etc.....

Thanks all, very informative posts about PPF.

did some digging and didn't want to waste $2000 down the toilet if it doesn't plan out...

I think I will order a PPF from China that has great reviews. the whole model S 2023 would cost about $605 including shipping ( uncut, full roll .,60"x49ft).

7.5mil thickness
10 yrs warranty
coating tech .05mil
urethane - Lubrizol estane
adhesive - Ashland
Elongation at Break 225%
Peel strength 25n/cm
etc.....
Please keeps us updated with your review of the China PPF and the vendor link if you like it. Thanks.

Applied Xpel PPF to rocker panels yesterday. No assistant and no lift, it was a challenge. I discovered this 2022 model S has rubber jacking points which make hockey pucks unnecessary. Rocker panel is a long narrow piece at the lowest part of the car (it's not a car, its a Tesla!) and required tack at the end, reverse rolling off the backing, dry stick in a couple of places and other end. I got soaked while scooting on the ground. I learned a few things on first rocker panel. Important to tack the top edge and squeegee up and over the lip. Use a wet card (hard card with felt wrapped edge) on the door sill wrapped edge to help remove solution. Else solution will seep down. Don't use sill rollover as alignment point, use front and rear edges, rollovers will align by themselves. Now I know where my loose hair goes, under the film. It's easy to take out but it's better to wear a 'do-rag. The second rocker panel film went on very nicely. With each piece I gain experience. I choose rocker panels to do at beginning of this project because they are out of direct line of sight making minor defects hard to see. I learned on them. The next pieces will be the doors. Large flat surfaces that have to be perfect. The patterns will be extended on three sides. I will remove top door trim for three side wrapping. Leading edges will not be wrapped.
Thanks for the great info and pointers. Amazing install.

Applied Xpel PPF to rocker panels yesterday. No assistant and no lift, it was a challenge. I discovered this 2022 model S has rubber jacking points which make hockey pucks unnecessary. Rocker panel is a long narrow piece at the lowest part of the car (it's not a car, its a Tesla!) and required tack at the end, reverse rolling off the backing, dry stick in a couple of places and other end. I got soaked while scooting on the ground. I learned a few things on first rocker panel. Important to tack the top edge and squeegee up and over the lip. Use a wet card (hard card with felt wrapped edge) on the door sill wrapped edge to help remove solution. Else solution will seep down. Don't use sill rollover as alignment point, use front and rear edges, rollovers will align by themselves. Now I know where my loose hair goes, under the film. It's easy to take out but it's better to wear a 'do-rag. The second rocker panel film went on very nicely. With each piece I gain experience. I choose rocker panels to do at beginning of this project because they are out of direct line of sight making minor defects hard to see. I learned on them. The next pieces will be the doors. Large flat surfaces that have to be perfect. The patterns will be extended on three sides. I will remove top door trim for three side wrapping. Leading edges will not be wrapped.
Thanks for great writeup and share... what an inspiration.

I am receiving car tomorrow and contemplating to give professional guys $7000 NZD to wrap car with XPEL PPF and maintain ceramic inside-out for 4 years (quarterly touch-up etc. or go down DIY route and gain some experience, backpain, disappointment, or simply good results with satisfaction of doing it (bragging rights)...

Still undecided.... don't have garage as big as yours but big enough for 2 cars - might be a minus point.... on the other hands we have no dust issues - and I can always start sprinklers before starting work to make sure no dust is loose around house and in front of garage, so it can't get into garage.