Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY puddle lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,

I see all these puddle lights for the car doors with symbols like Tesla, X, S, and even some that are just bright. However, I've also seen some people with things like "Model 3" which I can't find on the internet. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken apart one of them to see what makes it say, X or Tesla? Also, I was wondering if you could adapt one of them to make it say your name or something like that. Do you guys know if this is possible? Thanks!

Hey there,

I see all these puddle lights for the car doors with symbols like Tesla, X, S, and even some that are just bright. However, I've also seen some people with things like "Model 3" which I can't find on the internet. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken apart one of them to see what makes it say, X or Tesla? Also, I was wondering if you could adapt one of them to make it say your name or something like that. Do you guys know if this is possible? Thanks!

Contact Abstract Ocean

You called? ;)

As mentioned above, the 'foil', which is about 7mm in diameter, sits inside a small protection tube. That's what makes the light assembly a bit more bulky. The foil, and the printing on it, is quite specialized, and there's regular and long-life versions. We carry the arabic 3 and ≡ versions at the moment, but without the 'model'. It's a quite limited space, and resolution drops nearer the edges, so there's a few challenges.

You can see an exploded view towards the end of our help article: Ultra-Bright Puddle Lights

Reactions: GigaGrunt