Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY RC Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added a couple of pictures above, you can see some of the 'metal shop' the laser welder and jewelry bench is on the one side you cant see from the pics.
I messed around with some titanium and aluminum earlier. i think I will probably use titanium and stainless steel mostly for the frame of my next S RC. We'll see, still designing it

No one has offered anything but I am starting to make one from scratch.
I realize you're early in the process, but assuming it's < $100 ... Are you taking reservations? If so, sign me up.

If it's more than $100, I might still be interested but I'd like more details and a ballpark price.

Feel free to continue the discussion in PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks!

< $100 just for the receiver and transmitter. I am looking at a $60-70 motor and ESC set that will probably make the new one do 25-50mph (gearing?) and smoke the tires!
I'm not sure how much time the first frame will take to build. My design has the weight ratio's exactly the same as the S and CG in the same spot. I might have to play around with battery position F/R to get it perfect but It should be fairly 'easy'. Batteries will be ~$20, Steering servo $10-20, titanium & SS- cheapish. Miscellaneous pre-made parts - not sure what I am going to fabricate yet.

I made it to TAP and picked up some 30mil polycarbonate. Much better for small vacuum forming. I ran a quick test this morning (before pk power hrs ; >
but didn't dry the poly again - so the air bubbles are still present. This stuff is much lighter and will really help keep the CG low

IMG_6962.JPG

worked much better. I think it will be good once I heat the PC fully and pre-dry it

IMG_6966.JPG

last side of the jewelry shop area - laser on the left, mmm, technology is pretty cool!

sounds a little low... my small Rc heli was ~$650. I'd guess more like $500 total (including cheap labor) tires run maybe $10 a pair, wheels $20. I'll probably source suspension parts from something else as well as a rear end differential. Random wiring and some lights. charge port magnets and connector It will be more than I should be spending on it :cool:

DSC00056.jpg

If anyone is interested in a logo 500se I might be into selling the big one (German made:wink:)

Last edited:
sounds a little low... my small Rc heli was ~$650. I'd guess more like $500 total (including cheap labor) tires run maybe $10 a pair, wheels $20. I'll probably source suspension parts from something else as well as a rear end differential. Random wiring and some lights. charge port magnets and connector It will be more than I should be spending on it :cool:
Ok, cool. Just looking for a ballpark to calibrate against budget.

Let me/us know if/when you are taking reservations or whatever. :)