TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

DIY Rear Tire Puncture Guards

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Haxster, May 8, 2017.

1. Haxster

Haxster Member

Since most nail and screw punctures seem to occur in the rear tires, I made a pair of “Puncture Guards” to protect the rear tires of my Model S. For the last 50 miles, they’ve kept my rear tires puncture-free! :)Time will tell if they’ll continue to work their magic in the future.

I don’t plan on testing these by driving over a road full of nails. But if someone wants to volunteer their car to do so, let me know.o_O I did confirm that the guards stayed on at well above freeway speeds.

Here’s what I did:

1. Popped out the two fasteners at the bottom of the forward inside portion of the rear fender wells (see photo)

Puncture Guard.jpg

2. Trimmed (though rather crudely) and drilled a pair of stiff thick rubber mud guards (Highland 1007100, www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MA588 ). Allowed them to curl at the inside of the wheel well to provide some high-speed stiffness and air/debris deflection.

3. Replaced the fasteners with longer TESLA 1006535-00-A Plastic Clips from the SC parts department. (Also available at www.belmetric.com/tesla-c-12_688_1061/d10075-tesla-clip-p-5823.html?zenid=97eabddi9b7mbtcj87p7001fp3)

Easy on. Easy off. No new holes in the car. And easy to restore to the original condition (just save the old fasteners). The guards shouldn’t pose any problems with tire changes or car washes. You may hear them briefly scrape the ground on stepped surfaces. Not to worry. They’re rubber. They can take it.

My Model S doesn’t have air suspension. If yours does, you’ll need to keep this in mind when setting the guards ground clearance and the cars ride height. Protection will be reduced as the guard-to-road clearance increases.

Why only the rear tires?
    Most screws, nails, glass chards, chunks of tire wire, unicorns, etc., lie flat on the road until run over by your front tires (or the vehicle in front of you). After which, they bounce around and, with bad luck, point the sharp end up just before they reach a rear tire. Ouch!

• Helpful x 2
  2. Haxster

Haxster Member

A few photos after a little trimming...

2017-05-09_CIMG1878.jpg 2017-05-09_CIMG1879.jpg 2017-05-09_CIMG1880.jpg

• Helpful x 1
  3. tliving

tliving Member

Wow. I put 50K miles on my first set of OEM tires. I got one screw in one tire early one. Had it plugged for cheap and then drove another 45K mile son it after that. Where are you driving with all the nails?
    p.s I live on a farm...

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Aesthetics alone ... no thanks. I'd take my chances ...

• Like x 2
  5. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Have to agree with steve841 here. For a luxury car, mudflaps? I had the weathertech ones on my YukonXL. But that was a Yukon :)
    To each his own I guess

6. ABVA

ABVA Member

On more than $120K car, Aesthetics alone won't do it for me. On my 2013 MS, over 50K miles and almost three and a half years later, just one incident of flat tire, which was overcome by the in car air compressor to give me enough tire pressure to reach a repair shop. But, to each his own.

7. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

Aren't the flaps just as likely to catch the head of a nail and flip it up just in time to puncture your tire?

8. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

How about range?