Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Rear Tire Puncture Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since most nail and screw punctures seem to occur in the rear tires, I made a pair of “Puncture Guards” to protect the rear tires of my Model S. For the last 50 miles, they’ve kept my rear tires puncture-free! :)Time will tell if they’ll continue to work their magic in the future.

I don’t plan on testing these by driving over a road full of nails. But if someone wants to volunteer their car to do so, let me know.o_O I did confirm that the guards stayed on at well above freeway speeds.

Here’s what I did:

1. Popped out the two fasteners at the bottom of the forward inside portion of the rear fender wells (see photo)

Puncture Guard.jpg

2. Trimmed (though rather crudely) and drilled a pair of stiff thick rubber mud guards (Highland 1007100, www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MA588 ). Allowed them to curl at the inside of the wheel well to provide some high-speed stiffness and air/debris deflection.

3. Replaced the fasteners with longer TESLA 1006535-00-A Plastic Clips from the SC parts department. (Also available at www.belmetric.com/tesla-c-12_688_1061/d10075-tesla-clip-p-5823.html?zenid=97eabddi9b7mbtcj87p7001fp3)

Easy on. Easy off. No new holes in the car. And easy to restore to the original condition (just save the old fasteners). The guards shouldn’t pose any problems with tire changes or car washes. You may hear them briefly scrape the ground on stepped surfaces. Not to worry. They’re rubber. They can take it.

My Model S doesn’t have air suspension. If yours does, you’ll need to keep this in mind when setting the guards ground clearance and the cars ride height. Protection will be reduced as the guard-to-road clearance increases.

Why only the rear tires?
Most screws, nails, glass chards, chunks of tire wire, unicorns, etc., lie flat on the road until run over by your front tires (or the vehicle in front of you). After which, they bounce around and, with bad luck, point the sharp end up just before they reach a rear tire. Ouch!

On more than $120K car, Aesthetics alone won't do it for me. On my 2013 MS, over 50K miles and almost three and a half years later, just one incident of flat tire, which was overcome by the in car air compressor to give me enough tire pressure to reach a repair shop. But, to each his own.

I am very grateful for this post as there are currently few mudflaps advertised in England and they may not be effective or useful or even easy to fit , who knows. I just wanted to comment that if you live in North Yorkshire in the middle of an english farming community, as I do, you would need to get mudflaps as quickly as possible as the roads here are often, quite illegally , covered in brown liquid mud so much that you cannot see the tarmac road surface. I have owned my new Model S, for a week and every time i go out, in less than 5 minutes, it says it cannot see properly through the cameras, as they are coated in brown. I am hoping that mudflaps will help. Perhaps Elon Musk will have his designers alter some of the streamlining if possible when they get time, for English sales anyway. Any useful tips or knowledge will be gratefully received as I am still wading through information on the web mostly. My car is brown but under the mud it is red. I wash it every day. There is not a lot more I can do in winter here as the farmers transport manure and soil every winter, but leave most of it on the roads on corners, just where it affects you the most. I have to carry a wet cloth in a bag so I can wipe the cameras, the main one being the rear camera which stands out near the rear number plate. I might try and design something to deflect mud there as a covering will only get covered itself I think. Wish I lived in California. :)