Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY: Removing 2nd Row Center Console w/ Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 8.16.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 8.16.54 AM.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 426
  • Informative
Reactions: Woodwinds
It would be handy if someone could make a quick release style plate mechanism that would allow for easy removal and reinstall of the console.

i.e a plate at the bottom that is bolted down to the vehicle, and another that is bolted to the bottom the console. and the 2 of them would come together by way of a quick release mechanism.

Tesla could sell this as an accessory, and include a little round carpeted plug to go in place of the hole when the console is out

Reactions: GasNah
It would be handy if someone could make a quick release style plate mechanism that would allow for easy removal and reinstall of the console.

i.e a plate at the bottom that is bolted down to the vehicle, and another that is bolted to the bottom the console. and the 2 of them would come together by way of a quick release mechanism.

Tesla could sell this as an accessory, and include a little round carpeted plug to go in place of the hole when the console is out

BRILLIANT IDEA

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Old post but wanted to thank the OP for the photos and instructions. Just removed ours to see if we can use the space between the two seats for our dog and still be able to use all of the rear cargo space with the 3rd row seats down. The panels on the center console do take a little muscle to get off. I had to pop the white center clips on the side panels to get better access to the rear bolts. Could not for the life of me figure out how to get the rear panel off. Once I did get the console out, I could better see how the rear panel clips in. You need to take the top rear part off first. I've attached photos in case anyone is interested in doing this. I also put together a plug that is flush with the floor out of some spare wood and plywood top. I'll probably just grab a cheap floor mat or cargo liner to cover that area.

20200902_183517_copy_1512x2016.jpg 20200902_183410_copy_1512x2016.jpg 20200902_183422_copy_1512x2016.jpg 20200901_194212_copy_1512x2016.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Old post but wanted to thank the OP for the photos and instructions. Just removed ours to see if we can use the space between the two seats for our dog and still be able to use all of the rear cargo space with the 3rd row seats down. The panels on the center console do take a little muscle to get off. I had to pop the white center clips on the side panels to get better access to the rear bolts. Could not for the life of me figure out how to get the rear panel off. Once I did get the console out, I could better see how the rear panel clips in. You need to take the top rear part off first. I've attached photos in case anyone is interested in doing this. I also put together a plug that is flush with the floor out of some spare wood and plywood top. I'll probably just grab a cheap floor mat or cargo liner to cover that area.

View attachment 583959 View attachment 583960 View attachment 583963 View attachment 583965
Thanks for sharing, I went through this process as well and had a similar experience to yours. Can you share the dimensions of the plug you made? Right now I have mine filled with a role of TP. =) I do have a floor mat that covers for now.

I figured my kids wouldn't need the 2nd row center console since they are in their carseats for the next few years. But once they get out I'll install the console back in. Also a no brainer if you are considering the 6 seat configuration with vs without center console.

Only need a couple tools shown in the first photo. Just get the pry tool underneath the front console and start pulling. I actually used 2, position both on the bottom but one closer to the left side and one on the right. Clips shown in photo 2.

Photo 4 shows where the bolts are. If your hands are small enough, you can probably get the the rear bolts without taking off the rear cover of the console. I was able to get to all 4 from the front. It helps if the socket you use is a 12 pt and not a 6 pt.

Photo 5 shows the wood I cut up to put in the hole. It's right around ~3" deep, a little less.

Photo 6 and 7 shows the 3D Maxpider floor mat I just got. I only received the 2nd row so far, but as you can tell it will cover it up just fine.
Hey, what year is your model x? Do you know if the center console can be removed for a 2018 modelx?

View attachment 583959 View attachment 583960 View attachment 583963 View attachment 583965
Yes please, would you share the dimensions of the “cover” you made to plug the hole?

Reactions: AxeBro