Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY: Removing 2nd Row Center Console w/ Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured my kids wouldn't need the 2nd row center console since they are in their carseats for the next few years. But once they get out I'll install the console back in. Also a no brainer if you are considering the 6 seat configuration with vs without center console.

Only need a couple tools shown in the first photo. Just get the pry tool underneath the front console and start pulling. I actually used 2, position both on the bottom but one closer to the left side and one on the right. Clips shown in photo 2.

Photo 4 shows where the bolts are. If your hands are small enough, you can probably get the the rear bolts without taking off the rear cover of the console. I was able to get to all 4 from the front. It helps if the socket you use is a 12 pt and not a 6 pt.

Photo 5 shows the wood I cut up to put in the hole. It's right around ~3" deep, a little less.

Photo 6 and 7 shows the 3D Maxpider floor mat I just got. I only received the 2nd row so far, but as you can tell it will cover it up just fine.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 9,290
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 4,144
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 4,142
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 4,094
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 4,176
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    784.9 KB · Views: 4,089
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 4,381
This is awesome I had my heart set on the 7 seater until the made it a manual...Then I figured 6 with NO console since Tesla says it's not removable. Seeing your post makes me think the 6 w. center console is the best option, since it's basically a freebie.

My kids are in seats also, but I may leave this in until it becomes a nuisance. Then perhaps I take it out and have them use the center isle.

Your post couldn't be more timely - I'm placing my order soon.

Reactions: gtg749m
First of all, much thanks to the OP.

Because Tesla doesn’t make floor mats for the 6-seater w/ center console, I had to use the OP’s post to help me install a modified version of the 6-seater w/o center console floor mat. Took a little work, but took only 30 min.
View attachment 289174 View attachment 289175 View attachment 289176 View attachment 289177
Only downside I see to this installation is that you cannot remove the mats without first removing the center console. It would make removing/cleaning the mats a bit more difficult.

I figured my kids wouldn't need the 2nd row center console since they are in their carseats for the next few years. But once they get out I'll install the console back in. Also a no brainer if you are considering the 6 seat configuration with vs without center console.

Only need a couple tools shown in the first photo. Just get the pry tool underneath the front console and start pulling. I actually used 2, position both on the bottom but one closer to the left side and one on the right. Clips shown in photo 2.
he existing
Photo 4 shows where the bolts are. If your hands are small enough, you can probably get the the rear bolts without taking off the rear cover of the console. I was able to get to all 4 from the front. It helps if the socket you use is a 12 pt and not a 6 pt.

Photo 5 shows the wood I cut up to put in the hole. It's right around ~3" deep, a little less.

Photo 6 and 7 shows the 3D Maxpider floor mat I just got. I only received the 2nd row so far, but as you can tell it will cover it up just fine.
Excellent information. Could you please help me in sharing the floor dimensions of the center console so that I can make an opening on my existing floormat whoch has no center opening? I see that it's right at the middle of the two leg openings. Thanks

Sorry not sure. I originally ordered my X with the console but then shortly after my sales team learned the factory is no longer installing them, it’s now a service center installed item. As a result, they didn’t charge me for the installation.
Same scenario here, ordered with center console and Tesla stopped making them with a center console. My order was placed when the 6 seat with console was just a $6,000 option. I was told I could pick up my car and there is an option to install after delivery. At delivery the revised 6 seat configuration without center console was now a $6,500 option. I had to pay the $6,500 and no console. To make it right, they offered me a $200 store credit to cover some of the cost.
At delivery, I was told it would be around $580 total cost but when I ordered a few weeks later it came out to be a $875 option and the $200 they said could not be used for the center console but only on items on their online store. Disappointed.
@Paul8810, Did the offer to cover the entire cost or just the installation (labor)?

Last edited:
My situation was more complicated, my first car came with the center console but wrong color interior (mistakes happen - didn't order my car online since I wanted the console and at that time it was only available "off menu"). They reordered the car, but that happened at the time the factory decided they wouldn’t be installing them anymore and instead provide a retrofit kit to SCs, so I was told. I ended up taking delivery of the car and a few weeks later when the console parts arrived returned and they installed the console.

@Amit519 I also ended up paying the extra $500 (actually $650 CDN since I’m in Canada) from my original order, but there was a point where they increased the cost to to 6 seater (circa aug 2019) but they they didn't adjust the off menu center console price - so when I originally ordered car with the console it came with a $650 discount from what I would have paid for a 6 seat without console. Later when they re-ordered the car with the right color interior, the spec sheet indicated 6 seat no console and was $650 more than my first spec sheet. Sounds like you got caught in that accounting error too.

At the end of the day, as a result I got a 2020 Model year, newer front seats and the console so I'm a happy camper.