Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Repair Curb Rash on my 21" Uberturbine Wheel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case you didn’t know, be careful using smart summon pulling your car in and out of a spot next to a curb because the side cameras will not “see” the curb.
Just got a nice curb rash on my rim but managed to fix it myself for $28 with Dremmel, sandpaper and some spray paint from Home Depot.
Here are before and after pics and a YT link.

Took about 1 hour not includibg paint drying time in between. Wasn’t hard at all...except for my slightly bruised ego.

Curb Rash Before.jpg
Curb Rash After.jpg

Looks great! Can’t even blame mine on summon, just a lot of parallel parking... Might be a dumb question, but couldn’t you have started right away with the spraying after the initial sanding, instead of using the brush?

Thanks! I had to use the brush to cover the bare metal first and use as light of a coat of spray paint as possible just in case the color doesn't match too well (which wasn't the case).

In case you didn’t know, be careful using smart summon pulling your car in and out of a spot next to a curb because the side cameras will not “see” the curb.
Just got a nice curb rash on my rim but managed to fix it myself for $28 with Dremmel, sandpaper and some spray paint from Home Depot.
Here are before and after pics and a YT link.

Took about 1 hour not includibg paint drying time in between. Wasn’t hard at all...except for my slightly bruised ego.

View attachment 653579View attachment 653581
Looks very professional work. Can you share the color code. I have 2021 performance rims and can’t find the matching color

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
@spdracer888 hey there, wondering if you can help me out. I got a small knick on my Tesla Model Y Performance Uberturbine rim and i wanted to get the Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Paint & Primer - Carbon Mist but home depot being a pain and i cant seem to find it anywhere around me within reasonable distance (closest store is 50 miles away, wtf). Is there anything else i can use instead thats simple to buy?

i am waiting on this Amazon.com per different post. but you seem to have the closes and best fix so i wanted to get your 2c.

@spdracer888 hey there, wondering if you can help me out. I got a small knick on my Tesla Model Y Performance Uberturbine rim and i wanted to get the Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Paint & Primer - Carbon Mist but home depot being a pain and i cant seem to find it anywhere around me within reasonable distance (closest store is 50 miles away, wtf). Is there anything else i can use instead thats simple to buy?

i am waiting on this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HE66OK8/ per different post. but you seem to have the closes and best fix so i wanted to get your 2c.
Yeah, I can't find that color either. I'm guessing it was discontinued, so I sent an email to Rust-Oleum to see if there is a replacement color but have yet to hear back. I'll share whatever they tell me, though.

i am waiting on this Amazon.com per different post. but you seem to have the closes and best fix so i wanted to get your 2c.

Yeah, I can't find that color either. I'm guessing it was discontinued, so I sent an email to Rust-Oleum to see if there is a replacement color but have yet to hear back. I'll share whatever they tell me, though.

It's still available at the stores by me:

• Informative
Reactions: thesmokingman
Found this thread recently but couldn't find that specific colour. Instead, this was on the shelf and turned out to be a fairly close match ("Black Stainless Steel"): Universal | Metallic Spray Paint | Rust-Oleum

It's slightly less black than the original wheel paint, but after blending it gradually around the damaged area it's hard to tell unless very close up.
awesome, do you have a photo of your work?!

It looks pretty good!! Did you use a matte clear coat or just one spray bottle to blend it?
Good work!

I was debating the rust Oleum Matte gunmetal grey vs black stainless steel now I know which one to choose :)
Thanks! All I used was the paint (after some sanding prep). Started with a few coats on the damaged area (taped off), then expanded it to cover the 1-2 spokes around. Now that it's been a few days seeing in different lighting outside, I think it's a very close match. It's not perfect, but that has more to do with my prep and spray technique. I'd probably do better next time, which I hope isn't too soon!