Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY repair: EPB_w053 - Parking brake did not release, EPB_w052 - Parking brake functions degraded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I know it's been talked about a bunch over the past couple years, but I wasn't able to find a thread discussing the DIY repair method for these two errors.

Recently my 2015 S 85 started reporting the above two errors. After having my wife stand outside the car and cycling the car between P-D I was able to figure out the electric parking brake was no longer working on the passenger side. Some of you have experienced the same issue but were instead unable to release the parking brake; this should apply to those too.

After reading the threads here I found out the hard way Tesla doesn't just replace (or even offer for sale) just the electronic motor but instead opts to replace the entire parking brake caliper, sometimes on both sides to the tune of €1600-1800 for both sides!

Not wanting to settle for that (and throwing away perfectly good parts since just the motor is 'defective') I figured I'd take apart mine and see what I could do.

Below is a write-up of how I disassembled the motor and repaired fixed the EPB_w053 / EPB_w052 errors for a mere €37 in tools & RTV.

If you don't want to try fixing your own, or if it doesn't work, you can find the motor on AliExpress for ~$60. The part number is 40C07812.
Note that I haven't bought this and can't vouch for its quality, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the exact same part. At least it looks the same and all the marking match up.

Tools required:
- A jack
- A jack stand (optional, but highly, highly recommended)
- A flat blade screwdriver
- Torx T25 bits (preferably long since there's not much clearance either side of the parking brake motor body)
- White lithium grease (I couldn't find any so I used ballbearing grease instead).
- Brake cleaner or degreaser and a (tooth)brush
Optional:
- Some RTV
- A razor blade or small plastic scraper

If you're attempting this I assume you know how to take a wheel off, so let's skip that and get to the good stuff. :)
Just make sure you've engaged Jack Mode prior to jacking up the car.

Here's my passenger side rear; main brake caliper on the left-hand side of the picture and the parking brake caliper on the 2 o'clock.
The electric parking brake motor is bolted into the back of the caliper.
At this point hose down the motor with the brake cleaner or degreaser where it bolts into the caliper and scrub the grime off of it to prevent it from falling into the caliper later on.

1.jpg

The first bolt is on the left-hand side, accessible from the top. You'll need to feel around a little. If at this point you can still feel some crud in the bolts, get out the brake clean again and spray into it so your torx bit makes good contact.

If you strip out these bolts there's no other option but to take the whole caliper off. So take your time, there's only three of them, all accessible from the top.
2.jpg

The second bolt is right in the center. Can't miss it.
3.jpg

Finally the third and last bolt is on the right. It's not too hard to find.
4.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the next step but with those bolts removed the EPB motor should come off easily.
Before you start yanking on it remember the plug is still attached. To release the plug take your flat-blade scewdriver and push against the red tab with a reasonable (but not plastic-breaking) amount of force. Now try to wiggle the connector off. If it won't come off, light up the black plastic 'flap' and try again.

You should now have the EPB motor disconnected. At this point I'd recommend bringing it inside (if your wife lets you).
Start by removing the c-clip that surround the area where the motor bolts into the caliper. There's not too much strength on this clip; I was able to get it off using two flat-blade screwdrivers in opposite direction. Engage safety squint in case it flies off.

There should also be an o-ring here. Take it off as well.

5.jpg

Now remove the two remaining torx bolts. Again T25's.
6.jpg

Before you start separating the two halves make a mark so you know how it lines up come reassembly.

Now it's time to split the EPB body. Start at #1 (below the metal 'plate' that's sandwiched between both halves).
Once that's loose you can split #2 but you only pull it up enough so you can see / clean inside it, there's some resistance there which I believe is the wiring for the plug up top so be careful.

Note: keep the EPB motor with plug facing when you take it apart or else the gears may fall out (not too big of a deal, they only go back in one way).
8.jpg

With the halves separated you'll end up with this. Note the flakes of salt that came off of mine as soon as I opened up.
Now it's time to get cleaning. Avoid gauging the surface; the smoother the surface, the better the seal you'll have going forward.

I'd recommend laying parts out in the order they came out, in the orientation they came out.
If you're reapplying grease, clean off all the old grease off the gears and surrounding surfaces before applying the new grease.

If your o-rings are still flexable (mine were) clean off the salt/crusties off of them and apply a light coating of grease so they continue to stay flexable.
Since the most salt was by far found in this part of the EPB motor I decided on running some RTV around the outside where the o-ring goes to help it seal better.
If you want to do this is up to you, but I figured (when applied sparingly!) it can't do any harm and clearly the old o-ring didn't seal 100% anyway.

7.jpg

That's it! Make sure you reassemble it the same way, don't forget any parts like the c-clip and, if you applied RTV, now is a good time for a coffee break to give it some time to set up.

In order to prevent the gear from engaging I'd recommend bolting the EPB motor back in place and *then* plugging the connector back in.
Once complete, cycle from P-D a couple times. The error should now have cleared. If not, either you didn't do the right side or the EPB motor is beyond saving. They're up for sale on AliExpress but I haven't tried them so your mileage may vary.

Hell everybody, this Is my first post.
I want to share my experience because I had the same problem.
I really hope I might help somebody to save 1500+$
Suddenly the parking brake on the passenger side didn't release anymore.
Foto
I've tried to repair the part as described in this post.
Btw, be careful to unscrew the right screws as I was mistakingly unscrewing at first the wrong one and the motor didn’t come off right away and i risked to brake a part.
Foto
Sadly I wasn't successful, even I could disassemble it , clean it very well (it looked even worst than yours Xiomax) and reassemble it. Before I tried put it back, I was checking if the motor was rotating (to engage and release the brake) by connecting the electric plug and engaging/disengaging the parking brake. It did actually work, but at the end of the installation I got the same error as before.
Foto
Ok, I thought, it was somehow broken but I didn’t get why
So I decided to order the part 40C07812 from Aliexpress as suggested (I actually bought 2 pieces, just in case ;-) for 55$ each) and it arrived in 15 days!
Foto
I mounted it 3 days ago and it’s still working! Happy me and my wallet!
3x Foto
BTW: Did you know Tesla Service in Switzerland is getting wopping 235$ an hour ? Crazy isn't it?
I wonder how it costs in the US...
Looks like you've got the integrated caliper where electric parking brake is integrated into the unit. So the same part number is compatible with it? That's great news for owners of the newer models (including MX it appears)! Appreciate you sharing this!

Made an account here just now to say thanks OP! I literally just finished this very job (both sides) about fifteen minutes ago and this guide was essential. Cheers!

I would love to have words with the Brembo engineer that decided on this solution… Both gearboxes were full of crud, but the motors themselves were fine, if a bit grotty.

Also wanted to note that replacement motors can also be found on ebay.

Thanks for the tips. Saved $1,200 (Tesla's quote) by simply dismantling and cleaning the actuator.

A couple of pointers to help make diagnosis simpler:

1. To determine which side of the car is having issues with the parking brake simply jack up each side and see which wheel is free/stuck depending on what error you are getting.

2. After you have removed the actuator from the parking brake caliper try turning the sprocket by hand/wrench. If you can manually engage/disengage the brake then you know the caliper is good and you likely only have an actuator fault.

3. Removing the electrical connector from the actuator can be a pain. Use a small flat headed screwdriver to push the small red tab out of the housing. You can then lift the black tabs to remove the connector.

4. The actuator is available for sale on Amazon now in addition to Ebay and Aliexpress. Trying cleaning it first and lubricating the gears as it might not require replacement.

Reactions: wga22
Here is a postmortem of what worked for me.

2015 Model S
Symptoms:
  1. car gave errors that "Parking was disabled" (or something like this)
  2. I had trouble putting the car in park (would only go into R-N-D, and even that was inconsistent)
  3. The car would turn itself off, but looked to stay on
  4. Car wouldn't roll freely
  5. After taking wheels off each side, and freeing the Parking brake via the wrench approach, I determined that only one side had "motor noises"

Fix
  1. Replace the actuator motor
  2. clean and lube the sliding rods for the disc pads

• Informative
Reactions: hydro
3 Torx screws hold the motor and wormdrive to the back of the caliber. Be careful to undo the ones that hold the wormdrive, not the 2 that hold the motor to the wormdrive. But if you do pull just the motor, go back and pull off the wormdrive as well.

The new gears of the wormdrive contained white grease, however there was clearly NEVER grease in the original ones; and couldnt tell that it was needed. Perhaps it was a light grease. There was no wear on the gears or dirt.

1707180348239.png

• Informative
Reactions: hydro