Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Retracting Charging Cable. Took me 3 days to figure it all out.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted my charging cable to retract as well as lock in position. I have seen other videos and ideas around, but I couldn't find anything that would work well for my application. This is what I came up with and it works great. There aren't many details in the videos, just a couple views of the mechanics of it. If anyone is interested, I can provide more details or help you figure out something for your application.

That's pretty cool, and a pretty slick install too. I am curious about the mechanics of it. I've watched your video a few times and I really can't figure it out...things are spinning opposite directions on that carrier...etc.

Opposite? In the video I believe the hole/portal in the ceiling is in the distance. At the start of the video the cable is being extended, then it is retracted and collected on the white spool as it is pulled and rolls away from the portal. So the cord is being retracted kinda by dual action. I guess not really, but it seems like it because the spool is collecting it and moving away.

Very cool.

It’s like one of these but for your car instead of your phone! Love it!

Curious how the end that connects to the supply is setup/handled. Is there just a bit of slack that can swing along and follow the white spool?

51HCTxPsTHL._SX679_.jpg

That's pretty cool, and a pretty slick install too. I am curious about the mechanics of it. I've watched your video a few times and I really can't figure it out...things are spinning opposite directions on that carrier...etc.

This might help give a better visual on the mechanics.

Yellow box = This is a fixed point. the end of the charger cable is made up here.
Green pipe = I used 1" EMT conduit as a track for the "pulleys" to roll on.
Blue Pulleys = I used old dolly hubs for pulleys. I just ripped the tires off. Also harbor freight has cheap ones. About $6 ea. The large center pulley that the charger cable rolls on is slightly bigger for ease.
Large Black round thing = you can buy this at Harbor Freight, tractor supply, home depot, Lowes, Etc... it is a retractable spool for an air hose. I took the air hose off. The gray cable you see is 1/8" steel cable that the air hose spool winds up and connects to the pulley system for the charger cable.

Here is a list of some parts I used

Tractor supply:

Larger pully: x 1 (I found one in the store with out the tire)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NNZAPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Smaller pulleys x 3
(they also have these with out the tire and cheaper at harbor freight)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-wheel-2-1-4-x-5-8-in-offset-hub?cm_vc=-10005

Air hose reel
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...7g73cnq3b6CeKMNsOYiZbo-n69r7fkERoC5C4QAvD_BwE

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NNZAPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reelcraft HR1145 Roller Guide Assembly, OD .630.906 Hose Roller Guide (this is to protect the cable as it is pulled from the attic)

I got this from work (I am an electrician)
Hoffman - ASE6X6X6NK, Pull Box - Screw Cover, NEMA 1 - Enclosures, Commercial Type, Boxes - Platt Electric Supply

Note: It is a 6x6x6 junction box that I cut in half, cut a hole in the plate to mount the roller guide assembly I purchased from Amazon. Then mounted it in the ceiling of the garage.

There is another minor detail I have left out that makes the system operate. If you were to assemble as shown in the 3D youtube image you will notice the charger cable is too heavy for the air hose reel to pull back. I also had to assemble a block and tackle pulley system for the 1/8" steel cable to lighten up the load. I'll have to make another video to illustrate that. As well as some other details.

Last edited:
Cool. “Some disassembly and assembly required.”

How much strain is there on the Wall Connector cable (does not look like much)/how is the strain relief done at the junction box (looks like you removed it from the Wall Connector itself and reconnected in a junction box)? Just a standard (large) cable clamp at the junction box knockout?

Cool. “Some disassembly and assembly required.”

How much strain is there on the Wall Connector cable (does not look like much)/how is the strain relief done at the junction box (looks like you removed it from the Wall Connector itself and reconnected in a junction box)? Just a standard (large) cable clamp at the junction box knockout?

Yup, pretty much. It was a little unnerving cutting the cable from the charger, but I left the factory terminal rings and enough to reach that first junction box above the charger. Then had to run (3) #6 AWG and (4) #14 AWG (probably could have downsized the ground and the #14's) in the conduit to the fixed point where the cable attaches. Yes, I simply used a large cable clamp into the junction box knock out. As far as the strain on the charging cable itself, yeah, not enough to worry about. The outer jacket insulation is pretty thick and the conductors inside are very flexible. I don't foresee any issues with wear, time will tell though.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Yup, pretty much. It was a little unnerving cutting the cable from the charger, but I left the factory terminal rings and enough to reach that first junction box above the charger. Then had to run (3) #6 AWG and (4) #14 AWG (probably could have downsized the ground and the #14's) in the conduit to the fixed point where the cable attaches. Yes, I simply used a large cable clamp into the junction box knock out. As far as the strain on the charging cable itself, yeah, not enough to worry about. The outer jacket insulation is pretty thick and the conductors inside are very flexible. I don't foresee any issues with wear, time will tell though.

Overall I really like this solution. If my wife ever gets a Tesla instead of her Spark EV, easy access to the charge port will be tricky given the space she would have to park in the garage. Currently I have a tool balancer setup for her, which works fairly well but is not ideal. But the Tesla will make this solution useless as the charge port would become inaccessible what with the garage door, other vehicles and their required positions, etc.

This solution, while complicated, could work well for me.

Thanks for sharing!

Very cool. A couple of suggestions:

1) I think your pulling cable is bearing (rubbing) agains that wood cross member? Might want to feed that through an eyelet of some type so that it doesn't dig into the wood.
2) Maybe put another cable guide (similar to the one installed in the drywall where the cable comes down) to make sure that the charging cable doesn't "jump" off the cable carrier as it moves.

My biggest concern here is that I think you've lost your UL cert on the charger now? If it catches fire, you're hosed (literally!). Wonder if you could have an electrician certify it?

Clever to mount the transformer in the main part of the garage instead of the attic. When I first saw the video, I thought maybe it was also in the attic near the pull system and had wondered about heat, especially in the summer. Really well done!

Very cool. A couple of suggestions:

1) I think your pulling cable is bearing (rubbing) agains that wood cross member? Might want to feed that through an eyelet of some type so that it doesn't dig into the wood.
2) Maybe put another cable guide (similar to the one installed in the drywall where the cable comes down) to make sure that the charging cable doesn't "jump" off the cable carrier as it moves.

My biggest concern here is that I think you've lost your UL cert on the charger now? If it catches fire, you're hosed (literally!). Wonder if you could have an electrician certify it?

Haha! Being that I am a licensed master electrician, I have no worries about the electrical installation. Heh.. I don't know if you noticed in the video all the loose wire stung through the attic (it's low voltage for the strip lighting in the garage), it looks horrendous, but functional! **Advice for anyone buying a home, beware if the previous owner was an electrician, plumber, or HVAC tech.**

Oh and your observation of the pulling cable is valid. I did notice that myself after filming the video, and that will probably be addressed very soon.

As for the added cable length, a concern would be voltage drop, which in turn, increases the amperage in the circuit.

I haven't done that math, but typically we don't worry about voltage drop in runs under a couple hundred feet.

But just for fun, I'm bored and waiting on my wife to get home so lets do some math...

The charger pulls a max of 48 amps @ 240 v. That would equate to 11,520 Watts.
Now because the service at your home may not necessarily be 240 v, it's doesn't hurt to get an actual reading for accuracy.
In my case, I am consistently at 247 v phase to phase. Given this data, The charger will pull a max of 46.64 amps @ 247 v.
With out any consideration to voltage drop, we can size our wire to 6 AWG which is good for 55 amps I think.
However, lets see how long of a run we can make before our voltage drop is too significant in order to support the current draw rated for our wire. (Note* The wall charger will operate on voltages ranging from 208 v - 250 v)
Let's first take the lowest voltage the charger will even operate on as an example... 208 volts.
At 208 volts the charger would pull 55.38 amps (given our 11,520 watts)
That's a little high so lets go with 210 volts to put us just under the 55 amps the wire is rated for.
So.. now our maximum voltage drop we are looking for is 37 volts (The difference between an actual reading of 247 volts and our minimum of 210 volts).
From here we can see how long of a run of 6 AWG wire we can have before our voltage drop reaches our minimum voltage of 210 volts.
I could pull out my book and give the actual formula for voltage drop... its something like VD= 2*K*I*L/Kcmil.. unless its 3 phase and that 2 changes to 1.73... K is a constant.. 12.9 for copper and I don't remember on aluminum.. I= the load in amps, L= length of wire, Kcmil = the circular mills of the wire..... but... a voltage drop calculator is much easier.. they have apps for that....
Anyway... lets get our max drop in percentage... given 210/247=.850202 that's 14.9797% max drop (1-.850202=.149797)
If punch all the values in with a starting voltage of 247v, ending voltage of 210v (or 14.97% drop), using 6 AWG wire, and a current of 55 amps it comes out to about 760 ft.

Is a good idea?.. absolutely not. Will the charger still work?.. meh... maybe?... will it burn your house down?... not if you have correctly sized overcurrent protection.

In any case, I ran about 25 ft extra... Which equates to a 1.029 v, voltage drop.

Note** those calculations were assuming the charging cable is rated the same as the actual wall charger. I actually have no idea what the allowable voltage range at the load side is. What ever it may be, it only would be dropping by a single volt, nothing significant.

But yeah.. Thanks for the input! It's always good to have extra minds and sets of eyes and on things. I can overlook things and don't always have the best approach. Haha!

Reactions: darth_vad3r
From here we can see how long of a run of 6 AWG wire we can have before our voltage drop reaches our minimum voltage of 210 volts.
I could pull out my book and give the actual formula for voltage drop... its something like VD= 2*K*I*L/Kcmil.. unless its 3 phase and that 2 changes to 1.73... K is a constant.. 12.9 for copper and I don't remember on aluminum.. I= the load in amps, L= length of wire, Kcmil = the circular mills of the wire..... but... a voltage drop calculator is much easier.. they have apps for that....
Anyway... lets get our max drop in percentage... given 210/247=.850202 that's 14.9797% max drop (1-.850202=.149797)
If punch all the values in with a starting voltage of 247v, ending voltage of 210v (or 14.97% drop), using 6 AWG wire, and a current of 55 amps it comes out to about 760 ft.

The wall connector measures resistance (via voltage drop for a given current). I'm fairly sure it will drop out for safety well before 210V if it measures a 248V (or whatever) open-circuit voltage. That being said, I don't know what resistance exactly it is set to drop out at. Anecdotally, it seems like as soon as drops get larger than 10-15V at 48A, people can start to have problems with charging halts (often the drop (resistance) is not dominated by the wiring in their house - but has more to do with the utility feed from the street - especially with overhead lines from what I gather). Presumably a halt would also be triggered if the utility-provided voltage suddenly sagged during a charging event, as that would be indistinguishable to the Wall Connector from resistance (though perhaps it tries charging again after a delay, in which case it would adjust to the new open-circuit voltage).

Obviously the installation doesn't know the exact wire length, so it can only measure resistance. Presumably the limit is picked such that for a typical installation length, that amount of resistance will not generate dangerous amounts of heat in that run length. Obviously not foolproof, as all the resistance could be focused in one spot and still cause a fire. But it's good that it detects drop regardless of the limitations - it's way better than nothing and is likely to trip in various dangerous situations.

For your installation, I wouldn't expect any of this to be a concern, of course.

Last edited:
The wall connector measures resistance (via voltage drop for a given current). I'm fairly sure it will drop out for safety well before 210V if it measures a 248V (or whatever) open-circuit voltage. That being said, I don't know what resistance exactly it is set to drop out at. Anecdotally, it seems like as soon as drops get larger than 10-15V at 48A, people can start to have problems with charging halts (often the drop (resistance) is not dominated by the wiring in their house - but has more to do with the utility feed from the street - especially with overhead lines from what I gather). Presumably a halt would also be triggered if the utility-provided voltage suddenly sagged during a charging event, as that would be indistinguishable to the Wall Connector from resistance (though perhaps it tries charging again after a delay, in which case it would adjust to the new open-circuit voltage).

Obviously the installation doesn't know the exact wire length, so it can only measure resistance. Presumably the limit is picked such that for a typical installation length, that amount of resistance will not generate dangerous amounts of heat in that run length. Obviously not foolproof, as all the resistance could be focused in one spot and still cause a fire. But it's good that it detects drop regardless of the limitations - it's way better than nothing and is likely to trip in various dangerous situations.

For your installation, I wouldn't expect any of this to be a concern, of course.

It would probably stop charging if there were a significant drop in voltage during an actual charge. However, the wall charger itself will operate on as low as 208 volts (a 3-phase wye connected system), not that we see that in residential.. but, In such a case, if it's maximum output is 48 amps, it would just charge a little slower. My rant above was mostly speaking hypothetically. I know the charger wont allow a charge at the a maximum rate of 55 amps with an input voltage of 208 V....(11,520 watts)... but if it did... I could have a run of wire over 500 ft long.

Needless to say, yeah 25 ft is no biggie.

However, the wall charger itself will operate on as low as 208 volts (a 3-phase wye connected system), not that we see that in residential..

Agreed it will operate at 208V - just very likely it will not if the voltage (at the car) starts at 240V (or 248V as in your case) with zero current. With an open-circuit voltage of 208V, it would probably engage the protection and shut off charging at something like 190-195V. (Again, no idea on the exact resistance threshold; these are just random numbers I am throwing out, based on anecdata.)

Again, not a problem at all for your setup. Seems just fine.

Thanks for sharing.
Have you seen a similar retraction mechanism before or was this approach designed from scratch?
I tried a tool balancer and was not particularly happy with the results.
I was wondering what your background is, now it makes sense (you must be a mechanical engineer as well).
Very clever!