Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY solution to deadening tire noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I look forward to your results. I have the Michelin Super Sports and the road noise drives me insane with my P85. I was convinced I had a wheel bearing going out due to the vibration I get from these tires (even on fresh wet pavement!). Tesla thought something was off too until they put some 19's on and the problem went away.

Hopefully this will be a good solution by the time I need to replace my tires again.

Given the number of patents filed recently - many sponsored by major tire manufacturers I really think this is going to be an option soon.

I just wonder if they will release special edition 'low noise' tires that are modified in factory or if some sort of solution will be given to tire shops to modify existing stock.

It really could go either way!

I figure if it's going to be done at the tire shops, there will be some sort of hardware released to actually do the work with a fairly simple process.

It would be a great upsell

I expected high shipping costs. That said, try harder for finding less expensive shipping. LTL boat, or air freight counter? Or get to Telsa's Hawthorn paper author on this topic and see if they have R&D funding that they could do on the tire shipping, or even put them in a trunk of a shipped car. They would need to be party to the results, of course. Good luck! This sounds phenomenal.

Got an estimate today. Shipping the Michelin tires round trip to Belgium will be $4,000 which makes this solution way too expensive. So I've asked Recticel to suggest options.

It's far cheaper if you take them as luggage. You deserve a vacation anyway--might as well make it a European one.

Suggestion: are those tires you're testing with available in Europe?

If so, you can order a Euro set for delivery to Recticel, then have Recticel ship them to you. Then you'll have a set of untreated tires (from the USA) and another set of the same tires, but with Recticel foam inside them. Easy for comparisons.

Suggestion: are those tires you're testing with available in Europe?

If so, you can order a Euro set for delivery to Recticel, then have Recticel ship them to you. Then you'll have a set of untreated tires (from the USA) and another set of the same tires, but with Recticel foam inside them. Easy for comparisons.

Recticel suggested that first then discovered tires sold in Europe are illegal in the US because they don't have the legal DOT data on them. True. So i'm waiting now to hear from Recticel again. My hope it that they'll just send me the foam.

Recticel suggested that first then discovered tires sold in Europe are illegal in the US because they don't have the legal DOT data on them. True. So i'm waiting now to hear from Recticel again. My hope it that they'll just send me the foam.

That's interesting. How do EU manufacturers (Audi, BMW, VW) etc. get around this when shipping to the U.S. ? Do they have stocks of US tires in Europe?

Finally heard from Recticel again. The guy I'm dealing with is going back to Belgium HQ again next week and will confirm whether I need to ship the Michelins (found a way to do it for about $500 but Recticel has to pick them up at the airport in Belgium) or if they will ship me the foam for a self-install.

After a long period of silence from Recticel we're finally making arrangements to ship my set of Michelin Supersport 21's to Belgium for fitting of the silencing foam. I tried to pertsuade them to send the foam to me but for this initial test they want to apply the foam under controlled conditions in their own factory.

I'm having the tires palletized next week and Recticel will arrange the shipping.

Thank you for the update, artsci.

We're all very excited to find out how it all works out. Hopefully you and Recticel are on your way to a complete DIY solution (kit) we can all purchase and take care of on our own.

Looking forward to the next update!!!

Last edited:
I hope you guys can work out a DIY kit as well. Are there any 19in tires being tested? I think a lot of people are wondering if their tires can get even quieter with foam. Can't wait for the results though.