Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Spare Tire Kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My DIY 2020 Model Y LR AWD Spare Tire kit:

1) Spare tire from a 3rd Gen Nissan Murano. 18x4 steel wheel, 5x114.3mm (or 5x4.5”), and 66.1mm bore. The Stock Nissan spare tire size is T165/90R18 and has a diameter of 29.69”. My stock 255/40R20 has a diameter of 28.03”. I may have a tire shop put a T165/70R18 for a diameter of 27.09”.

2) Chevy S10 pickup or Blazer emergency scissor jack. This one has the little domed protrusion that fits the Tesla’s jacking point. I know of this jack because I was the first to test fit this jack for my Chevy Bolt which has similar jacking points (on the ChevyBolt forums).

3) Chevy S10 / Blazer tire iron with 21mm (13/16”) hex lug wrench.

I test fitted it this morning using all the hardware listed above and drove it around the block a couple of times to make sure everything works.

I only tested it as a rear wheel, as I didn’t test fit it in the front, so if I have a flat in the front, the first thing I will do is to swap the rear to the front then install the spare in the rear.

I also made a little tool to remove the center cap from my 20” wheel.
2jEfnGG

How do you store it in the car, just laying on the deck in the back? I have this urge to remove the frunk liner and mount a spare and jack in there for road trips though I have only ever needed a spare once in my life so haven't found the need strong enough yet to justify it.

How do you store it in the car, just laying on the deck in the back? I have this urge to remove the frunk liner and mount a spare and jack in there for road trips though I have only ever needed a spare once in my life so haven't found the need strong enough yet to justify it.

I’m waiting for a vinyl spare tire cover to arrive then I’ll start figuring out where to put it. I noticed that the sub-trunk also has a liner. Maybe there’s room in there?

If there isn’t room for it anywhere to hide it, I may have to lay it right on the trunk and somehow secure it. Maybe I can flip it over and use it as part of some kind of cargo organizer?

Interesting experiment. I have a kit on back-order from Modern Spare...I will do a comparison once it comes in.

I'm curious about the load capacity of the tire (the MY is pretty heavy) also that of the scissor jack.
Interesting experiment. I have a kit on back-

Yeah I was going to order a Modern Spare, but they have the kits on backorder. This would be the ideal solution.

I had a planned trip so I needed it sooner. Doing all this extra homework looking up wheel center bore sizes, bolt center diameters, minimum wheel diameters, caliper clearances, vehicle weights, tire/jack ratings, and going around buying random pieces to assemble this kit through trial and error is not ideal. In the end it worked out.

The Goodyear T165/90R18 is rated at 2,149 lbs max load (from the tire).

For the tire, a Nissan Murano SUV weighs 3,823 to 4,137 lbs (Google).

A Model Y is 4,416 lbs (Google).

4 tires x 2,149 lbs would be 8,596 lbs. I don't know if the math is that simple, but this spare tire should be fine for the Y.

For the jack, a Chevy Blazer weighs 3,782 to 4,287 lbs (Google).

Reactions: Richh001
Got an update on this.

I recently got a 19” alloy spare tire from a Hyundai Equus with a T155/70-19 tire. The tire has a 1150kg / 2536 lbs limit which is enough given the MY GVWR / GAWR FT/RR of 5302 lbs / 3004 & 3306 lbs.

This tire also has a diameter of 27.5”, which is only 1/2” less than my stock 255/40-20 tires.

I also found a way to stow the spare without losing too much cargo space. I removed that one platform covering the shallow storage space up against the rear seat backs to get me a couple of inches. I then stored the tire tools in that shallow area and used a ratcheting tie-down to secure the spare against the rear seat back. I then put my cargo organizer in front of the tire and I’m done.

A3F69086-B46A-42CE-8F64-DF15413C7B6B.jpeg

65EAC9CD-3AB9-4B3C-B428-589E041B7694.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E644072-F718-4C99-995F-27B45684E768.jpeg
    9E644072-F718-4C99-995F-27B45684E768.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 156
Status
Not open for further replies.