Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY temporary rear window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, my FWD window was broken by a vandal couple weeks back. I really like this car so I'm a bit sad about it. Combine that with insurance company making noises about the rental car because the parts are still on order.

So I figured why not try to rig up something temp.

I got some 1/8" smoke plexi at tap plastics. Did a rough template of the window opening using an old coroplast election sign and a box cutter since coroplast is super easy to cut. Then used coroplast to mark cut lines on the plexi and cut plexi out with a circular saw and a metal abrasive blade. The 1/8" plexi fits fine in the upper and lower tracks where the original glass was so it turned out to be reasonably secure. I finished it with gaffers tape on either side. road tested to 80mph.
MVIMG_20180901_172034.jpg MVIMG_20180901_173604.jpg MVIMG_20180901_174453.jpg IMG_20180902_194050.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely applaud you on your craftiness, but the safety-minded side of my brain has compelled me to reply to this as a caution.

That plexi will easily turn into a guillotine in an accident, no matter how much gaffers tape you use. I hope this is very very very temporary.

If you have passengers, especially children in a car seat, please don't put them right next to that 'window'.

Hope all goes well with the permanent repair!