Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Half Shafts

Here is how to get the half shafts in. If your parking brake is locked like mine, have to insert the gearbox end first. If insert hub end first, can not rotate shaft to engage spline on gearbox.

Need to unhook wheel speed sensor wire to gain enough space to insert the half shaft

IMG_3011.jpegIMG_3013.jpeg

Subframe Torque Values

Here are some subframe connection torque values. Set upper and toe link to original marked position prior to removal to preserve camber and toe angles. Early Model S had very aggressive negative camber on rear and wear out inner edge of the tires quickly. My was set close to 0 camber angle to preserve the tires.

1/2" universal + not inserting all the way into the socket to torque the upper link nut.

IMG_3015.jpegIMG_3014.jpeg

Parking Brake Connector

Really hard to insert the red locking tab. Be sure to pull on the plug after locking to see if properly locked. Trick is the plug has to pushed hard (some can't do by hand) before red tab would lock properly. Pry on the connector and press (sometime need to tap with a tool) in the red locking tab.

IMG_3022.jpeg

Reactions: Droschke and vanR
Mount LDU+Subframe Assembly on the Model S

Lifting and aligning the subframe bolts are much harder than dropping the subframe. A scissored lift table would have been much better than a motor cycle jack that will shift the subframe assembly backwards as it lifts. Furthermore, have to mount the shocks while the subframe is shifting backwards as it lift... And through 9/2014 cars have the wiring harness connectors behind the rear subframe leaving very little clearance in front and rear of the subframe.

Mid aero shield mounting tab

During the struggle, managed to knock off the front aero shield middle bolt mount. Getting rid of this provided an extra inch of space for front/rear of the subframe and made it much easier. Thought about breaking this off during the subframe removal and now its done haha. Probably can find much easier way to secure the mid frontal of the aero shield. May not even be necessary.

IMG_2550.jpeg

Rear Subframe Connectors (9/2014 and earlier cars)

Here is how to protect these connectors during the lift

IMG_3016.jpegIMG_3020.jpeg

Aligning Subframe Bolt

Motor cycle jack will eventually bind up on lifting as it travels upwards and backwards. Did the following things to get the subframe bolt holes aligned

- Sledge hammer 4x6 wood to knock motor cycle jack + subframe assembly side ways
- 2x Floor jacks to lift the rear subframe once motor cycle jack can not go any further. Once the motor cycle jack bound up during the lift, rear of subframe was lower than the front. 2x Floor jack continued the lift to get the rear subframe bolts in.

Torque Values

Shock absorber bolts (140Nm)
Brake caliper bracket bolt (120Nm)
B+ B- cable nut (9Nm)
Subframe bolts (140Nm)

Adding G48 Coolant

LDU mostly empty of coolant (some remained post bench coolant circuit leak test) If the car's coolant line was quickly plugged during removal, will need add about 2L+ of coolant. Car bled the air itself once it woke up and repeatedly performed bleeding during charging and a firmware upgrade that came while the car was down last 2.5 months.

Car up and running

No errors. No abnormal noises. Logging miles now on Ceimin triple lip yellow seal on 600->1500 grit coolant shaft surface prep. Will update seal status on website in signature

IMG_3023.jpeg

Reluctor Chamber Drain hose inspection

$5 Aliexpress borescope image through rear driver side wheel opening. Will route drain hose to easy inspection location. Make a loop (below drain tap) to capture any coolant before hose exit for inspection.

2022-11-15-21-44-43.jpg

Last edited:
Coolant Air Bleed

Most of the air bled out during initial power up, plug-in charger and then firmware update (which just rebooted the car). Some combination of repeatedly disconnecting power and/or repeatedly plug/unplug charging would perform this initial bleed

How to bleed air out of coolant on Tesla model S - YouTube

Note on the power dis/reconnect sequence. It isn't clear on the reconnect order.

Disconnect : 12V negative first, fireman's loop next
Reconnect : Tesla service manual just says "reverse". Above video reconnects fireman's loop followed by 12V negative. I did 12V negative and fireman's loop on initial power up after LDU reinstall. Seen that done somewhere and figure it was safer.

After initial bleed which consumed majority of the 2-3L of lost coolant during LDU rebuild. Another 3 drive cycles for total of 1+ hour slowly bled out the remainder air and stablized. One natural worry is... is the lowered coolant going into the LDU? Its unlikely to have that much leak without LDU having some problems. If tapped a drain on bottom of motor end plate (pic 1&2 on this link) and inverter housing, then can be more sure.

Coolant Leak Scare

After installing rebuild LDU on the car, found a wet patch (not a puddle) on the floor next morning And felt dampness below the coolant manifold. This was due to 1 or maybe 2 factors

- Wet patch was probably leftover splashed coolant when connecting the car's coolant inlet hose to the LDU coolant manifold. Despite cleaning up, the car is then taken off the jack stands. Test driven a couple of times. Ample opportunity for any coolant hiding around the area to drop to the floor.

- Originally tightened the bottom 2 bolts on the coolant manifold to 4Nm which isn't very tight at all. Guessing may have had a very small leak despite the o-ring and the sealant. Of course the dampness could also be from the splashed coolant as its the lowest spot.

Cleaned up the wet patch and tightened the bottom 2 coolant manifold bolts (just snug tight with a small 1/4" ratchet. probably 8-10Nm) Now its all dry below the coolant manifold after 90 miles of driving and nothing on the garage floor for 2 days.

Routing the drain tube

Clear silicon drain tube from the reluctor chamber drain tap can be routed externally for easy sight glass coolant leak inspection

- Loop around coolant inlet hose and secure with a zip tie to reduce pulling load on the tube and drain barb fitting
- Cut a hole to exit the tube and make a loop at the end. Leaked coolant would drain but loop would save some evidence of the leak

Note during early stage of seal leak, not enough coolant will collect and drain. Only way to know is periodic more cumbersome inspection of the speed sensor (raise rear safely, remove a bunch of bolts and screws, 2 fins, aero shield, pull speed sensor)

IMG_3025.jpeg

LDU Whine Noise Changed Post Rebuild

Downhill regen whine is gone but the faint new whine that started before rebuild is still present.

Changed 5 bearings (2 SKF rotor ceramic, SKF 6208/6207 on primary shaft. FAG intermediate shaft counter bore roller bearing) Only observed damage was 6207's outer race got spun in the bore (post #47). Perhaps this was the source of downhill whine? Maybe overheated? No idea. New 6207 installed with retaining compound (post #50) 6207 was installed with retaining compound on an Rev R LDU.

Faint whine starts at 31-32mph during acceleration. 5 new bearings above and 1500mL of Pennzoil Platinum Dex VI compat ATF. The 3 big bearings (2 on differential, 1 on intermediate shaft) was not changed nor anything inside the differential.

LDU was a 2017 Tesla Rev Q rebuild and original manufacturing date in 2013. Perhaps some wear in the differential which probably was not changed on Tesla rebuild. I'd assume Tesla rebuild would have changed out all 6 bearings in the gearbox along with rotor ceramic bearings.

Post Rebuild Analysis

Realized a number of things post rebuild. Unfortunately TMC doesn't allow editing changes of content older than an hour. So here is a list

Temp Sensor Disassembly

Disassemble temp sensor connector. I believe when pulling out the wires in post #35, some micro plastic stops internally in the connector was likely damaged. During assembly (post #55), inserting the wire would not click or lock by itself and easily slide out. However, once the blue tab was installed, all the wires are fully locked so its fine. During disassembly, I looked for locking tabs etc (with a magnifying eyewear) that commonly lock these wire in the connector but didn't find a way.

Alternative to disassembling the temp sensor connector is to remove the inverter. This has advantages and disadvantages. Advantage is the ability to assemble the 2 gearbox halves with the inverter off and maybe even vertically with the inverterless half dropping down on the gear set with good control. Disadvantage is reinstalling the inverter and easily damage the coolant o-rings, may need yellow loctite (probably 577 glycol resistant), and additional disassembly of the inverter (post #51 and #52) . Disassembling the temp sensor is probably a better solution if no other reason to remove the inverter.

Scissor lift car better than motor cycle jack

Scissor lift cart would have been easier than motor cycle jack during LDU+subframe reinstall per post #62. But cost more of course.

Breather caution on upside down gearbox assembly

If assemble both halves of the gearbox upside down for firmer inverter footing per post #55, then need to consider any fluids clogging the breather. My gearbox was pretty free of any flowing fluids after long rebuild process.

Testing New Bearings vs old

Testing new bearings is challenging. Ceramic bearings will make noise if rotor is slightly uneven (noted in post #53). New bearings have factory protection but not lubrication. Adding lubrication will not cover all corners of the open cage ball bearings instantly even if soaked in ATF briefly. Anyway, no matter how careful I was in installing the new bearings, they never seemed smooth as the fully lubricated old bearing when loading radially (hold bearing and tilt shaft at 45 degree angle). But once in car, they are quickly lubricated far better than can be done by hand. Anyway, besides practicing safe bearing installation methods, have to basically trust the manufacturer/distributor gave you a good bearing.

Without knowing this, I spend quite a bit of time retracing my bearing installation steps. Bought a shop press and a second complete set of bearings before realizing the challenge with properly lubricating these open cage bearings.

Shop Press Unnecessary

Shop press is not necessary. Bearing splitter/puller can be used to press in the new 6208. Ceramic bearings can be tapped in by inner race. Coolant seal can be hammered flush with its bore using pipe + adapter.

SKF lock nut different than OEM

SKF lock nut in post #49 is not a match to LDU's lock nut. External dimension is similar and can use the same SKF tools. But inner diameter is smaller than LDUs.

There is no reason to change this lock nut and can just reuse the original. I just purchased one since it was $5 and was curious.

Coolant seal Installation error prone

Coolant seal installation is error prone and perhaps the most important part of this rebuild for 2 reasons

The seal and shaft are on 2 different part and fairly high precision over the the contact area. Usually, there are 2 scenarios

1. seal bore and shaft are both on the same mechanical part, This provides easy determination on how deep to seat the seal for proper contact on the shaft.
2. seal bore and shaft are not on the same mechanical part. For example half shaft insertion into the axle seal but the axle shaft provide very wide contact area to engage the seal so not much precision required.

Coolant seal and shaft is case #2 with seal nearly as wide as the shaft contact area. Need to measure carefully to know how deep to press in the seal into its bore. Also additional challenge of not folding/damaging an excluder lip on a PTFE seal. Read post #57 and #59 and carefully measure and practice the process prior to final assembly.

Aero Undercover front bolt tab unnecessary

This got knocked off due to tiny clearance. However, the aero undercover has a rigid metal bar/plate with 2 other bolts besides the mid point bolt. Furthermore, aero shield has many other bolts securing it. It is quite stiff and the outer lip of battery chassis faces rear ward. So unless planning to break land speed record in reverse or running serious F1 ground effects. This middle bolt and tab is completely unnecessary. Can probably tap a couple of bolt holes if really want to reattach this bolt. 10/2014+ cars may not have this issue with greater clearance from moving the rear subframe wiring harness connectors.

IMG_3024.jpegIMG_3026.jpeg

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be possible to swap the LDU for a more robust SDU or isn't this an option since there is no original 85+SDU configuration?

Yes, others have thought about this as well but I think unfortunately LDU cars is probably missing some stuff for SDU. Would have to make a RWD LDU car's brain work with a Dual Motor's rear SDU. Don't know if that can be done without hacking Tesla software and replacing some electronics.

If anyone has gone through the effort of turning RWD into dual motor car, it would probably outline some of what is involved.

Yes, others have thought about this as well but I think unfortunately LDU cars is probably missing some stuff for SDU. Would have to make a RWD LDU car's brain work with a Dual Motor's rear SDU. Don't know if that can be done without hacking Tesla software and replacing some electronics.

If anyone has gone through the effort of turning RWD into dual motor car, it would probably outline some of what is involved.

I believe there is also a S 75 without dual motor, think that is also a SDU?

I believe there is also a S 75 without dual motor, think that is also a SDU?

My understanding is all RWD MS is LDU

- QC Charge tech @ajbessinger who repairs Teslas everyday says all RWD are LDUs ( link )
- 0-60 spec of 2017 MS 75 RWD is 4.3s ( link ) Doubtful SDU can do that all on its own. Actually I'm quite surprised S 75 RWD can go that quick. My 2013 S 85 is like 5.4s so I guess Tesla found a way to increase performance.
- some ebay LDU sales will show compat with S 75 RWD

Rotor Primary Shaft Balance Alignment

There is an alignment mark on the spline joint between the rotor and. primary shaft. Presumably from balancing them together. The assembly sequence I used doesn't allow lining up this mark (shaft first followed by rotor in post #55 and #58). Don't know how much this matters as the shaft's diameter is small and should have minimum balance issues. Any rebuild effort that doesn't open the gearbox will be unable to line up this mark.

IMG_2670 (1).jpgIMG_2896.jpg

The assembly sequence would need to installed the rotor and endplate first followed by installing the primary shaft in order to line up this mark. It would then be impossible to confirm the primary shaft seal lip didn't fold during the shaft assembly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke and vanR
Raising rear to check speed sensor for coolant leak

This is probably the easiest way. No floor jacks. Just gradual ramp. Still not very comfortable and can't use a creeper but gets the job done. Wood edge cut at an angle and shallow ramps from Amazon. Ramps not very wide so tires will hang over the side but perfectly usable and safe.

IMG_3146.jpeg

Hi,

I am impressed by your achievements and your ideas, well done.

I allow myself to write to you here to have your opinion.

I created a discussion thread because my engine block ( ASY,P-TRAIN,SPORT, LARGE DU (1002633-01-T)is wet, so there is an insulation fault.

Tesla tells me that it is rainwater that has entered through the joints of the B+B high voltage cables.

Do you think it's more probably likely to be coolant? if so, he would have had me replace the high voltage cables for nothing.

I allow myself a second question, if I manage to dry the engine block, the current leak could disappear?

Seems unlikely its the the rain water. Those 2 cables are well protected from the elements (under trunk, have protective plastic cover on bottom) Since coolant leaks are quite common, its most likely the cause. Pull the speed sensor and check

Tesla LDU - Failure Testing (google.com)

You have Rev T of LDU. Does it say Reman? Here is an explanation

Tesla LDU - Revisions (google.com)

As I noted in the other thread ( link ), stator and inverter could both have coolant causes low isolation problems. Unfortunately, can't know which one or both until LDU is removed and opened up. But we have seen both coolant soaked stator windings repaired by drying out AND inverter function repaired by replacing corroded wiring harness

Just realized TMC doesn't include my signature for other members to see. Here are the 2 websites

Tesla LDU (google.com)
Howards Model S (google.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: Olle and Droschke
Leaving this note here for future homework.

Been thinking if can do 2 key mods (weep hole and sealing vent hole) with LDU in the car, it would be way easier to do preventive service.

Speed Sensor Cavity Vent Hole

This is perhaps easier of the 2. Need to close off the vent hole. Clearly accessible with speed sensor out.

But then there is no vent hole, is this a problem? Some LDU revisions don't have this vent hole so this was not a design issue during those revisions (of course, designer could be wrong also). If the weep hole gets added, there is a vent path anyways.

Reluctor Chamber Weep Hole

This is the hard without removing the LDU. People have suggested 2 ideas

Use a drill bit with a greased tip. Drill a little bit, remove, clean off shavings, repeat. The weep hole size is similar to pilot holes made for tapping a threaded hole for a drain line barb (not necessary really, nothing will come out of here even during initial leaks as coolant drops cling to the walls. Speed sensor inspection is best) Here is a video, not much debris after poking through the hole

As a test, can practice on an aluminum block.

Sinker EDM was the other suggested method. basically using electrical arc to remove materials. No idea what equipment and setup is required.

The installed manifold also doesn't leave much clearance. Nor is the manifold removable on the Model S (Rav4 EV yes) with subframe wrapped around closely around this area. the weep hole also want to land in the gap in the bore where manifold lip doesn't close (maybe ~2mm? gap, don't remember). But if miss, I guess have to drain through manifold lip or coolant will naturally seep between the space between the lip and bore (as long as no seal was put on this surface... which shouldn't have)

IMG_2993.jpgIMG_2994.jpgIMG_2959.jpg

if the LDU is on the car: impossible to drill at the very bottom (at 6 o'clock) of the reluctor chamber. therefore => impossible to evacuate the metal shavings:

- blocked in the reluctor chamber
- dropped at the stator/collector junction.

In solution A: the metal shavings will have fallen lower (at 6 o'clock) just next to the bearing (at the stator/collector junction).

In "solution C" (the collector lip is pierced): identical problem I think.
My LDU is on the car, my best option seems B ? If the coolant seam seeping.

big dilemma: let the coolant come back or risk sending aluminium shavings into the bearing.

Some aluminum shavings in a bearing that much of a problem?

Attachments

• 75C4ECFD-565D-4844-ACBA-DEB661363305.png
    75C4ECFD-565D-4844-ACBA-DEB661363305.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Attached, the drilling test (gently) from below an aluminum alloy plate.
There is just a piece that hangs above.

the drilling must be carried out without oil because the steel shavings can circulate along the drill. oil is no good: blocks metal shavings on the drill bit and they are deposited higher.

Attachments

• EC075A55-0330-4477-97B0-79B7F8586812.jpeg
    EC075A55-0330-4477-97B0-79B7F8586812.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 201
if the LDU is on the car: impossible to drill at the very bottom (at 6 o'clock) of the reluctor chamber. therefore => impossible to evacuate the metal shavings:

- blocked in the reluctor chamber
- dropped at the stator/collector junction.

In solution A: the metal shavings will have fallen lower (at 6 o'clock) just next to the bearing (at the stator/collector junction).

In "solution C" (the collector lip is pierced): identical problem I think.
My LDU is on the car, my best option seems B ? If the coolant seam seeping.

big dilemma: let the coolant come back or risk sending aluminium shavings into the bearing.

Some aluminum shavings in a bearing that much of a problem?

I would not advice attempt to drill externally without having experience to disassemble and clearly seeing the internal structure.

The rotor shaft and bearings will rotate at 6000RPM at 100km and coolant's PTFE seal will be cut by any metal shaving. I think chance of metal shaving causing more damage is very high

Attached, the drilling test (gently) from below an aluminum alloy plate.
There is just a piece that hangs above.

the drilling must be carried out without oil because the steel shavings can circulate along the drill. oil is no good: blocks metal shavings on the drill bit and they are deposited higher.

I have not done this before. My understanding is
  • Don't use oil until nearly drill through the hole. This allows the shavings to exit out the back of drill bit. This is why its necessary to know how deep can drill without oil before stopping.
  • After close to drill through. Use oil, drill only few turns, clean off oily tip with shavings, repeat this until all the way through.

Grease, not oil. The idea is for chaff to remain with the bit tip rather than wanting to migrate elsewhere. At bit break-through, you are using very low bit RPM and removing the bit from the workpiece to clean and re-grease the bit tip very frequently. With low RPM and frequent clean/regrease, you reduce the chance of chaff on the other side of the workpiece. This isn't new technology, it can be done.

---

How about using air-assist? Remove speed sensor, install rubber stopper (think wine bottle cork) with through-fitting. Use regulated compressed air supply to lightly pressurize the reluctor chamber. I'm thinking pressure in the range of 0.1 bar (1.5 PSI). If pressure loss through the reluctor chamber vent is high, either perform that modification first (plug the vent hole) or use a higher pressure at the air regulator (not necessarily higher pressure in the reluctor chamber, but you can't push much air though a device like this, so the pressure drop will be high, if air loss to the stator chamber is high:

0021521_vacuum-flask-stoppers.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Grease, not oil. The idea is for chaff to remain with the bit tip rather than wanting to migrate elsewhere. At bit break-through, you are using very low bit RPM and removing the bit from the workpiece to clean and re-grease the bit tip very frequently. With low RPM and frequent clean/regrease, you reduce the chance of chaff on the other side of the workpiece. This isn't new technology, it can be done.

---

How about using air-assist? Remove speed sensor, install rubber stopper (think wine bottle cork) with through-fitting. Use regulated compressed air supply to lightly pressurize the reluctor chamber. I'm thinking pressure in the range of 0.1 bar (1.5 PSI). If pressure loss through the reluctor chamber vent is high, either perform that modification first (plug the vent hole) or use a higher pressure at the air regulator (not necessarily higher pressure in the reluctor chamber, but you can't push much air though a device like this, so the pressure drop will be high, if air loss to the stator chamber is high:

View attachment 908066

Poster moved progress to another thread. He filled water from speed sensor hole with similar concept as air-assist. Then drilled. Car is running but of course can't inspect debris entry unless LDU is out and coolant manifold removed.

An update for those seeking to rebuild their LDU

@3k+ mile post rebuild. Found completely rusted and pitted shaft below the triple lip seal (first warning was rusty streak on speed sensor). So far, here is the best guess on the failure mechanism

- Some kind of protective coating was removed either by prior Tesla rebuild (reman LDU) or my very light sanding seeking to achieve the proper roughness finish for PTFE seals. The base shaft material is not stainless and will definitely rust if left in water+oxygen like most salvage yard LDUs sitting idle for long periods. There is a video of a Croatia EV repair business (they franchise repair methods in EU) showing re-chrome plating LDU shaft before milling+polishing for desired finish during repair ( link below )

- Fresh oxygen is likely introduced by the tapped leak drain port. Whenever coolant cools and contracts, vacuum would have pulled O2 in between the seal lips.

A worrisome note on multi-lipped seals is whatever gets into the chamber is probably staying there. Any solids will be trapped continuously damaging the shaft. But there seems to be reasonable number of multi-lipped seal out there in original LDUs and rebuilds. Perhaps shaft protective coating is the key necessary requirement. Anyway, just all guesses and estimates without any info from Tesla.

Anyhow, researching into spray flame shaft repair now. Just FYI for LDU rebuilders. Here are some added details on openinverter

Tesla Large Drive Unit (LDU) Motor Teardown and maintenance - Page 16 - openinverter forum
Tesla Large Drive Unit (LDU) Motor Teardown and maintenance - Page 16 - openinverter forum
Tesla Large Drive Unit (LDU) Motor Teardown and maintenance - Page 17 - openinverter forum

Also multi-lipped seal cage is much heavier and stronger to remove. Here is a nice trick to easily remove it.

Tesla Large Drive Unit (LDU) Motor Teardown and maintenance - Page 17 - openinverter forum

LDU rebuild website updated to include WARNING sections

Tesla LDU (google.com)

Last edited: