Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Tesla Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious. Has anyone accidently or otherwise, tried to wireless charge their phone with a Tesla keycard sandwiched between charge pad and the phone? Even more interested if it was a magsafe iPhone.

I'm thinking about seeing if a keycard or its mechanism might be able to be placed inside an existing phone case. Just not sure what the interaction of the charging field on the key card et. al. would have.
There habe been several posters putting cards in phone cases which I suppose is in essence what you’re thinking of here. I’m not sure what interference, if any might occur but the old phrase eggs in one basket springs to mind. I’d definitely keep the two completely separate.
I always take my wallet with the card in. …except when I go on holiday and forget it :eek:

It's purely magnetic induction charging the phone, i.e the pad putting out a magnetic field and that induces a current in the phone's wiring.

Tbh I wouldn't have thought it would affect the charging. You might get a small current induced in the keycard wiring but I don't think it would do any damage to the RFID chip or lessen the magnetic field going to the phone.

Easier to just try it by putting the phone on top of the keycard on the charging pad.

Just curious. Has anyone accidently or otherwise, tried to wireless charge their phone with a Tesla keycard sandwiched between charge pad and the phone? Even more interested if it was a magsafe iPhone.

I'm thinking about seeing if a keycard or its mechanism might be able to be placed inside an existing phone case. Just not sure what the interaction of the charging field on the key card et. al. would have.

I'm thinking the phone would charge but would be concerned that there's a slight possibility of cooking the chip in the Tesla card ... otherwise I would give it a try.

I really like this DIY key idea, very MI6 actually.

However, as my car is already a 007 item, I think I should be more traditional and insert this gadget in my shoe.

That way, nobody would know...

Then if I ever lost my phone/wallet I could impress my Wife with a high kick and easily open the car door... however, getting the car started once inside might involve some explaining...

Or I could hand over my shoe to a Hotel Valet at reception, with a nod-wink-wink

... what could possibly go wrong 😁

Last edited:
Stick I in your missus' back pocket and tell her to twerk to open it. Might be a bit high though unless she's 7ft!

No height issues for Tesla twerking ... so long as your a*se is facing the side of the car with the phone in your back pocket you will successfully trigger the door opening (and entertain onlookers at the same time). Curiously my wife just has to be within 20ft of the car and it will readily open with her profile no matter what I am doing with my phone ... no twerking required!

• Funny
Reactions: Cloggie
No height issues for Tesla twerking ... so long as your a*se is facing the side of the car with the phone in your back pocket you will successfully trigger the door opening (and entertain onlookers at the same time). Curiously my wife just has to be within 20ft of the car and it will readily open with her profile no matter what I am doing with my phone ... no twerking required!
Have you considered putting her on a diet?🤣

• Funny
Reactions: BailMY and Bantam
Hallo allerseits. Sie können den Chip auch von der Antenne lösen und selbst eine Antenne herstellen. Ich löste eine kaputte Schlüsselkarte und lötete den Chip an einen gewickelten Draht. Der Schlüssel funktioniert wie gewohnt. Ich habe zuerst einen Meter genommen. Dann nur noch einen halben Meter. Es funktioniert mit einem halben Meter, aber weniger gut.
As David Niven once said "Speak some known language" 😊