Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Tesla Model X Mud Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I acknowledge putting mud flaps on the Model X is some what of a controversial subject.

With that said, I am tired of cleaning off mud and debris being flung up on to the side of the car by the front tires.

Since I could not find a suitable solution I decided to make a solution by taking a set of Rally Armor Basic Black Mud Flaps and mounting them on top of the fender well liners using the existing fender liner mount points.

This solution took me a couple of hours to complete mostly due to having to make a template to line up the flaps to get the coverage and look I wanted.

While this solution is not perfect, it is way better than nothing in my opinion .

In case you are interested in doing something similar below are some pictures of the how I modified the mud flaps and installed them.

I pretty am sure this process will work for the Model S, Model 3 and just about any other vehicle you cannot find a suitable solution for .

Mud flaps I used:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3AIOTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_zmJTDb36XY0PX

A2F9FF70-854F-4E41-833F-5C798C326464.jpeg

BA905177-F58C-4AEC-A769-D2AA61817639.jpeg

0E592189-2850-4AEA-8C1C-A4C1DA88CDFB.jpeg

Reactions: mswlogo
For DIY they look pretty good.

@BullishPip reminded me about considering mud flaps when I posted a pic of my Model X with mud on the sides ;)

Not trying to take away from your fine work or get your thread off track, but I just found these on e-Bay today and ordered a set.
They look similar quality to the ones folks are installing on Model 3. Kind of surprised not much info on them on the forum.
I also didn't find to much on the forum for Model X and Mudflaps. I will post a thread on them once installed.

4x Car Mud Flaps Splash Guard Fender Mudguard For Tesla Model X 2019 + Screws | eBay

If there is a thread on this style mudflap being installed on the forum please provide a link.

There are over a dozen venders on eBay selling these. I chose the one the link because of high reviews and some mention of a newer revision (which all the others might be as well). But some of the other venders have more pictures if you want to check them out. Just search Tesla "Model X" mud

Reactions: J__T and BullishPip
Thanks mswlogo! If I would have know about the eBay product I would have definitely tried those first.

If this custom setup causes me any issues I will definitely being trying those.

Please, if anyone has any experience and/or pictures of the eBay setup please share :)

@BullishPip finally got the ebay flaps installed. I only did the fronts so far. Not sure rear is needed.

They look pretty good.

I cut the supplied screws. There was another layer of something behind the plastic trim and I didn't want to the screw or drill to go through what ever that was.

So I predrilled the plastic trim, threaded the hole with an uncut screw partially screwed in, then pulled it out, cut it about in half and screwed that in.

49081473936_41ff45d910_h_d.jpg

49082090462_13cd6a0147_h_d.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: J__T
@BullishPip finally got the ebay flaps installed. I only did the fronts so far. Not sure rear is needed.

They look pretty good.

I cut the supplied screws. There was another layer of something behind the plastic trim and I didn't want to the screw or drill to go through what ever that was.

So I predrilled the plastic trim, threaded the hole with an uncut screw partially screwed in, then pulled it out, cut it about in half and screwed that in.

49081473936_41ff45d910_h_d.jpg

49082090462_13cd6a0147_h_d.jpg

Nice! Agreed (only need fronts).

Looks good!

Definitely a must have upgraded for those who drive in wet conditions.

My screws were not green. Flaps (and screws) seem to be holding up good. The Model 3 screws (China/Ebay flaps) showed rust on them after like 3 weeks.

Did you skip the rears?

Curious what snow tires are those?

Skipped the rears as some members recommended. Couldn't care less if the cars behind me gets stone chips. That'd teach them to keep a sensible distance behind.

Those snow tires are Dunlop - SP Winter Sport 4D - 265/45R20 104V

3rd winter. Great grip but noisy.

For those that have opted not to install the rear flaps, are you not seeing a ton of dirt and grim on the rear hatch? I can certainly understand and see all of the grime splashing up on the sides, but I've noticed an excessive amount on the rear hatch door.

Hello!

I bought those mud flaps from eBay for my X, they look good but I don't know exactly how to install them (Especially those square metal pieces?). There aren't clear instructions anywhere and I'm seeing 3 different pieces that look designed to hold the flaps in place (see attached pictures).

I would rather pay someone to install those things in my car, I'm in Ontario, close to Toronto. Any idea about which kind of company could do this for me?

The screws look too deep... Right?
model-x-mud-flaps-2.jpg
model-x-mud-flaps.jpg

I think yours look pretty good DIY or not.
I actually reached out to that company that makes all the mud flaps and floor mats. weather tech I think, way back in 2015 when I got my S... I said I need mud flaps for this thing. (I came from driving SUVs and Jeeps my whole life)
They said they didn't do cars... I said well way to miss the market dumbasses... I see lots of Model S / X 3 options now!

We did the amazon white ones on wife's 3. they look pretty good I think. I'm not sure if the Cyber Truck will need mud flaps. With my Jeeps if you left mud on too long it would hold moisture on the paint and rust it out. If the body is stainless... no need to remove the mud lol!

Thanks! Yeah, losing clients is never good, especially when you have the skill to do a job.

So, I just came from Tesla Service Centre! I asked for their opinion about those mud flaps and the screws, it's all good to install!

Look how bad is Canadian conditions to a Model X, my Falcom dor is damaged:

model-x-falcom-damaged-1.jpg
model-x-falcom-damaged-2.jpg
model-x-falcom-damaged-3.jpg

At the Tesla App, there is an option to repair dents, I'll ask for their option as well! Do you guys think that the warranty will cover this?

It’s the lower rear edge of the FWD’s that seems to get most beaten up by stuff thrown back by the front tires. Do these front mud flaps mud flaps extend down far enough to obscure the line-of-sight from the rear lower tire tread to the back ower edge of the FWD’s?

I bought the same kit from Ebay. It took me an hour to install them without taking off the wheels.

1.jpg

Hello!

I bought those mud flaps from eBay for my X, they look good but I don't know exactly how to install them (Especially those square metal pieces?). There aren't clear instructions anywhere and I'm seeing 3 different pieces that look designed to hold the flaps in place (see attached pictures).

I would rather pay someone to install those things in my car, I'm in Ontario, close to Toronto. Any idea about which kind of company could do this for me?

The screws look too deep... Right?
View attachment 511093 View attachment 511094

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 131
I tried the eBay source & they’re “on vacation” for a month or more. They’re in Hong Kong, so I think I know why they’re off line.

I’ve ordered a similar set from Amazon coming tomorrow. I’ll post some feedback later. They’re about $10 more expensive but I don’t want to wait until April for them via Hong Kong.