Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Tesla Model X Mud Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3637.jpg
IMG_3640.jpg

I got the Hong Kong ones from eBay as well. Good stuff. Needed to remove some excess plastic from the molding-process with a hobby-knife but that took like 10 seconds per flap. So not complaining.
I used 3 screws per front flap as the bottom part flexes too much to my liking. (2x3 screws means I cannibalised 2 screws from the rear set).
With those 3 screws per flap, they are solid like a rock. Bottom part does not flop about. I used the screw's full length. There is enough empty space behind the pre-drilled holes (drilled the lowest hole with the 3rd screw myself) so it's not a problem at all.
(Those weak metal clips I used merely to hold the flap in place while drilling holes for the screws)

They work really well.
Before, while driving in the pouring rain, it consistently took less than 10 minutes for both front fender cameras to become unusable due to crap being thrown up against the lenses. I'd clean them (while parked, doh) and within 10 minutes, too dirty again "error messages popping up saying "Left/right/multiple front fender camera(s) blocked or blinded". Drove me nuts. Hopeless! :mad:

Yesterday and today, raining cats and dogs here in central Europe, drove close to 400km in total and not a single message about fender camera's being unusable. I'm very pleased with the result. Both the optics (looks OEM) as well as not being nagged by "blocked camera error-messages" anymore. And the camera lenses really did not have grime on them when I checked them after arriving at my home.

Tesla should have shipped the X with mudflaps on the front. Not all of their customers live in SoCal...:rolleyes:

ElectricSteve, I just put my front mud flaps on with the extra screw you used. I did notice that there is a significant gap between the base of the mud flaps and the under-the-rocker panel trim, even when the rest of the mud flaps (the parts that show) fit nicely. I’m concerned that crud thrown up by the tire is going to get trapped in that gap. The mud flaps designer needs to revise the design to eliminate that gap.

On to the rears. I’m going to remove the tires for that.

View attachment 515351 View attachment 515352

I got the Hong Kong ones from eBay as well. Good stuff. Needed to remove some excess plastic from the molding-process with a hobby-knife but that took like 10 seconds per flap. So not complaining.
I used 3 screws per front flap as the bottom part flexes too much to my liking. (2x3 screws means I cannibalised 2 screws from the rear set).
With those 3 screws per flap, they are solid like a rock. Bottom part does not flop about. I used the screw's full length. There is enough empty space behind the pre-drilled holes (drilled the lowest hole with the 3rd screw myself) so it's not a problem at all.
(Those weak metal clips I used merely to hold the flap in place while drilling holes for the screws)

They work really well.
Before, while driving in the pouring rain, it consistently took less than 10 minutes for both front fender cameras to become unusable due to crap being thrown up against the lenses. I'd clean them (while parked, doh) and within 10 minutes, too dirty again "error messages popping up saying "Left/right/multiple front fender camera(s) blocked or blinded". Drove me nuts. Hopeless! :mad:

Yesterday and today, raining cats and dogs here in central Europe, drove close to 400km in total and not a single message about fender camera's being unusable. I'm very pleased with the result. Both the optics (looks OEM) as well as not being nagged by "blocked camera error-messages" anymore. And the camera lenses really did not have grime on them when I checked them after arriving at my home.

Tesla should have shipped the X with mudflaps on the front. Not all of their customers live in SoCal...:rolleyes:

I didnt think about a 3rd screw. I ended up clamping the clips for a tighter fit, no movement anywhere on the flaps.

I’m concerned that crud thrown up by the tire is going to get trapped in that gap. The mud flaps designer needs to revise the design to eliminate that gap.

If you look closely, you will notice that there is a "gap" between the plastic parts of the wheel-well anyway. Crus will build up there anyway. It's all plastic and sound-insulating matts down there so let it collect crud. Won't hurt anything.

I noticed the "less than ideal fit" at the bottom too. But don't expect the design being changed. Some Chinese guy in a shed designed these, made a couple of thousand of them and is now enjoying his Peking-Duck.

I just put the rear mud flaps on. I had to completely cut off the tab meant to catch one of the existing plastic fasteners. The designer tried to create an offset in the tab to compensate for the fact that the wheel well trim is higher than the wheel well liner. The designer goofed, and the tab has too much inward offset. Up is to the left, and the crooked tab is on the right. I used three screws to attach the mud flap & had to get four more screws to complete the job. The mud flaps came with too many plastic pop fasteners.
829AC3EE-F4F6-4AB6-826C-2EBA2977AC85.jpeg