Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY tire rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably good to use two jacks and secure it with jack stands just in case. Safety is always a must when I do anything around cars. Better be safe than sorry, it only takes a second to be sorry. I would put a long 2x4 between lifting points and slightly rest the jack stands close to the lifting points... Just my $.02 hate to see anyone get hurt.
How would you secure it with regular jack stands? Just put them under the jacking points? Or get those two legged stands?

I agree it would be good to get a recommendation from Tesla on this. As mentioned above, the owner's manual is completely silent about it. I have searched online and so far cannot find any official word or credible source stating whether or not it is acceptable to lift our cars from one lift point when changing a tire. It's actually kind of a strange omission. I hope we get some clarification on this.

Those are serious stats. I guess everyone should be good then.

I'm still waiting to see Manufacturers Recommendation from @xyeahtony
They sure are! Multiple accounts across 7 different Tesla’s over a period of 6 years is seriously good enough for me. Wicked good stats! Definitely enough to publish my own “how to lift your Tesla without causing the frame/battery damage” manual!
What’s your email? I’ll send you one!

• Funny
Reactions: SSonnentag
I doubt it matters on the dual motor (AWD/LR) versions.. but I use the single jack method on the rear location of my single motor (Model Y Standard Range) with no issues. I figured single motor was located in the rear, which meant the cars weight is rear biased.. and it was best to use the lift point that was also rear biased.

I have a cordless 20V Dewalt 1/2" wrench with up to 1200ft/lbs of torque.. and it literally took 15 mins to do the entire car. Jack up one side.. remove both wheels.. swap front to back.. reinstall both wheels.. tighten to 129ft/lbs.. lower jack.. flip car around and repeat for other side. Also helped that I used a 125ft/lb torque stick when re-installing the wheels.. so when it was time to go around to all 4 wheels and check the torque spec it was almost immediate click on all 4.

Considering tire rotation is about the only semi-annual maintenance necessary on this car.. both the cordless 20V Dewalt 1/2" wrench + torque stick + torque wrench are a wise investment to those owning this vehicle long term. I didn't buy these items specifically for this car.. already owned them for working on my previous vehicles.. and was really happy to have the tools needed to keep my Tesla properly maintained.

Not sure why there is so much discussion on this. when the mobile service came to install my winter tire set, they set their jack at the rear side jack point and lifted up both tires on one side, do the swap and they went to the other side. Their jack did have a solid rubber pad where the jack comes in contact with the car jack points. I did ask questions and he said this is how they are trained. I used the same method when I swapped back to summer tires / rims.

• Informative
Reactions: patnshan and rjpjnk
I’ve been using a puck and a 2-ton jack to do my rotations for 2 years. My brother has been doing it this way for 5 years. So do all of our Tesla friends. We all have enjoyed the jack and a puck being able to lift the car enough to be able to access both the front and rear tires.
Guess what? None of us have had a problem. No squeaks, no rattles, no bent frame etc.. we have all been fine.

Stop being a poo poo head will ya?
I've been rotating the tires on our 2 Teslas with one jack as well -- I think you should re-think the "2-ton" jack you're using though... The Model Y weighs more than 2 tons (4500lbs I believe).

Last edited:
Not sure why there is so much discussion on this. when the mobile service came to install my winter tire set, they set their jack at the rear side jack point and lifted up both tires on one side, do the swap and they went to the other side. Their jack did have a solid rubber pad where the jack comes in contact with the car jack points. I did ask questions and he said this is how they are trained. I used the same method when I swapped back to summer tires / rims.
Me neither, but apparently @mswlogo believes Tesla mobile service and everyone else is doing it wrong. Apparently he knows more than all of us, including those who are trained by and work for Tesla.

I've been rotating the tires on our 2 Teslas with one jack as well -- I think you should re-think the "2-ton" jack you're using though... The Model Y weighs more than 2 tons (4500lbs I believe).
Yea.. I’ve thought about that. However only lift one side means that the whole bulk of the car is not being suspended by the jack.. but yea, I do the tire swap really quickly and never leave it up for more than necessary- and I certainly wouldn’t get under the lifted side. But yea, I have a better jack on my list!

Reactions: Lucas007 and iamnid
I’ve been using a puck and a 2-ton jack to do my rotations for 2 years. My brother has been doing it this way for 5 years. So do all of our Tesla friends. We all have enjoyed the jack and a puck being able to lift the car enough to be able to access both the front and rear tires.
Guess what? None of us have had a problem. No squeaks, no rattles, no bent frame etc.. we have all been fine.

Stop being a poo poo head will ya?
What puck do you use to lift side of car with one lift point? Is it rubber or metal?

What puck do you use to lift side of car with one lift point? Is it rubber or metal?
It’s rubber.

One jack point is fine and that's the way I do it. People saying that a lift must be used are blowing smoke. Engineer here and I tend to see through a lot of the BS... unless someone shows me the structural FEA that proves otherwise I will continue to use a single jack for rotations.

These are the pucks I use and are superior quality versus the cheap ones: Steelman Tools

Reactions: patnshan
Why does Discount Tire used jacks to put new tires on the car right in front of an available lift? I always watch when I get new tires put on and they did this on my MS, but all my ICE cars have been put up on the lift, which seems much easier to me.
I asked this question when our Model 3 was getting new tires 2 weeks ago. All other cars on lifts but the Tesla was lifted with a jack on each corner. The technician said they do it out of an abundance of caution to avoid damaging the battery. They were quick and all 4 new tires were on the car within 20 minutes -- so what do I care?

Reactions: Daekwan