Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Trailer Harness for Model Y

camthehombre

Jan 25, 2018
Spanish Fork, UT
Maybe I missed it but has anyone tried the wiring harness from Ingenext? I stumbled across it tonight and for $63 and being way easier than running wiring all the way up to the 12v with some other options and not feeling comfortable splicing into other wires, I figured I might try it.

Webeevdrivers

Jan 2, 2017
Canada
Maybe I missed it but has anyone tried the wiring harness from Ingenext? I stumbled across it tonight and for $63 and being way easier than running wiring all the way up to the 12v with some other options and not feeling comfortable splicing into other wires, I figured I might try it.
Interesting. But I'm not sure the scenario where this would be used.

Thanks in advance.

a2t2

Jul 8, 2021
Atlanta
? You would use it in the scenario that you wanted to install your own trailer hitch/harness and save a boatload of $.

That is super nice ! So it plugs right into the existing tesla harness for the trailer hitch ? $63 ? I paid $100 for the Tekonsha version -

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Tekonsha/TK56FR.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Shop - Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring&adgroupid=55199189484&campaignid=753605683&creative=260216520228&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9010798&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=CjwKCAjwn8SLBhAyEiwAHNTJbStrMSptwVK7GoXwTjN2w1MNJkNE86ZyPy4ojpuTj5ePZ66jFThvaxoCoNEQAvD_BwE

you have to splice into the rear 12v outlet harness. It wasnt at all hard to do that and the 12v socket is replaceable if you wanted to "undo" that splice, ever. The rest of that harness plugs into the tail lights so its all very simple. But this one you posted is even easier.

Its really not an issue to have the rear warning on the screen while towing. Sorta annoying but it doesnt chime, and as you said you get to retain AP while towing which is really nice. When backing up, it will chime and alert since it thinks something is behind you, so if you plan to drive in reverse alot with a trailer then it would probably get annoying. Some have said there is some way to disable the rear back up sensors but I havent seen that on my 2020 Model Y Performance.

As the ad says, Tesla service center wont install any tow software unless they do the hitch install so you are on your own. I did my own hitch install a year ago and love it so far. Went with the simple Draw-tite and was fairly simple but a little time consuming to install. IF you wwere to use this harness you mentioned the whole thing would take about an hour. Good find ! Obviously only for the DIY crowd, theres alot on here that prefer Tesla to tie their shoes for them too so they will inevitably chime in here ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: camthehombre

camthehombre

Jan 25, 2018
Spanish Fork, UT
? You would use it in the scenario that you wanted to install your own trailer hitch/harness and save a boatload of $.

That is super nice ! So it plugs right into the existing tesla harness for the trailer hitch ? $63 ? I paid $100 for the Tekonsha version -

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Tekonsha/TK56FR.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Shop - Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring&adgroupid=55199189484&campaignid=753605683&creative=260216520228&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9010798&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=CjwKCAjwn8SLBhAyEiwAHNTJbStrMSptwVK7GoXwTjN2w1MNJkNE86ZyPy4ojpuTj5ePZ66jFThvaxoCoNEQAvD_BwE

you have to splice into the rear 12v outlet harness. It wasnt at all hard to do that and the 12v socket is replaceable if you wanted to "undo" that splice, ever. The rest of that harness plugs into the tail lights so its all very simple. But this one you posted is even easier.

Its really not an issue to have the rear warning on the screen while towing. Sorta annoying but it doesnt chime, and as you said you get to retain AP while towing which is really nice. When backing up, it will chime and alert since it thinks something is behind you, so if you plan to drive in reverse alot with a trailer then it would probably get annoying. Some have said there is some way to disable the rear back up sensors but I havent seen that on my 2020 Model Y Performance.

As the ad says, Tesla service center wont install any tow software unless they do the hitch install so you are on your own. I did my own hitch install a year ago and love it so far. Went with the simple Draw-tite and was fairly simple but a little time consuming to install. IF you wwere to use this harness you mentioned the whole thing would take about an hour. Good find ! Obviously only for the DIY crowd, theres alot on here that prefer Tesla to tie their shoes for them too so they will inevitably chime in here ;)
I installed my own hitch for a bike rack and cargo carrier with no plans to actually tow and now things have changed.

I just saw this and thought it seemed too simple with other posts of people splicing and making their own adapters and such. Felt like I might be missing by something.

I don’t care for the tow mode to be enabled, so this looks like probably my best bet for a pretty reasonable price. $85 shipped and all I gotta do is remove the bumper again and plug it in. Sounds like a win! :)

Thanks for your input. Like I said this seemed too good to be true so I felt like k was missing something compared to the other $100+ sets that require the splicing.

a2t2

Jul 8, 2021
Atlanta
Yep no brainer. Love the full plug play.. i spliced a lead into the 12v plug in trunk and that took an extra 5 min. Rest was all plug and play. But I hate cutting into factory harness and this is half the price ! Win win.. unless Tesla does something dicky and disables that rear tow harness for those not paying for their gourmet install lol

NainEr

Apr 10, 2021
LAX
Good thing I came by here; so I got a (TESLA) OEM trailer hitch from some guy here in LA, is brand new and comes with the wiring harness direct fit; I'll post pictures later if i can; I will install sometime this week; is good to know that my lights will work without trailer mode available...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC