Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Trailer Harness for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I missed it but has anyone tried the wiring harness from Ingenext? I stumbled across it tonight and for $63 and being way easier than running wiring all the way up to the 12v with some other options and not feeling comfortable splicing into other wires, I figured I might try it.

Maybe I missed it but has anyone tried the wiring harness from Ingenext? I stumbled across it tonight and for $63 and being way easier than running wiring all the way up to the 12v with some other options and not feeling comfortable splicing into other wires, I figured I might try it.
Interesting. But I'm not sure the scenario where this would be used.

Thanks in advance.

? You would use it in the scenario that you wanted to install your own trailer hitch/harness and save a boatload of $.

That is super nice ! So it plugs right into the existing tesla harness for the trailer hitch ? $63 ? I paid $100 for the Tekonsha version -

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Tekonsha/TK56FR.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Shop - Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring&adgroupid=55199189484&campaignid=753605683&creative=260216520228&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9010798&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=CjwKCAjwn8SLBhAyEiwAHNTJbStrMSptwVK7GoXwTjN2w1MNJkNE86ZyPy4ojpuTj5ePZ66jFThvaxoCoNEQAvD_BwE

you have to splice into the rear 12v outlet harness. It wasnt at all hard to do that and the 12v socket is replaceable if you wanted to "undo" that splice, ever. The rest of that harness plugs into the tail lights so its all very simple. But this one you posted is even easier.

Its really not an issue to have the rear warning on the screen while towing. Sorta annoying but it doesnt chime, and as you said you get to retain AP while towing which is really nice. When backing up, it will chime and alert since it thinks something is behind you, so if you plan to drive in reverse alot with a trailer then it would probably get annoying. Some have said there is some way to disable the rear back up sensors but I havent seen that on my 2020 Model Y Performance.

As the ad says, Tesla service center wont install any tow software unless they do the hitch install so you are on your own. I did my own hitch install a year ago and love it so far. Went with the simple Draw-tite and was fairly simple but a little time consuming to install. IF you wwere to use this harness you mentioned the whole thing would take about an hour. Good find ! Obviously only for the DIY crowd, theres alot on here that prefer Tesla to tie their shoes for them too so they will inevitably chime in here ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
? You would use it in the scenario that you wanted to install your own trailer hitch/harness and save a boatload of $.

That is super nice ! So it plugs right into the existing tesla harness for the trailer hitch ? $63 ? I paid $100 for the Tekonsha version -

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Tekonsha/TK56FR.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Shop - Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring&adgroupid=55199189484&campaignid=753605683&creative=260216520228&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9010798&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=CjwKCAjwn8SLBhAyEiwAHNTJbStrMSptwVK7GoXwTjN2w1MNJkNE86ZyPy4ojpuTj5ePZ66jFThvaxoCoNEQAvD_BwE

you have to splice into the rear 12v outlet harness. It wasnt at all hard to do that and the 12v socket is replaceable if you wanted to "undo" that splice, ever. The rest of that harness plugs into the tail lights so its all very simple. But this one you posted is even easier.

Its really not an issue to have the rear warning on the screen while towing. Sorta annoying but it doesnt chime, and as you said you get to retain AP while towing which is really nice. When backing up, it will chime and alert since it thinks something is behind you, so if you plan to drive in reverse alot with a trailer then it would probably get annoying. Some have said there is some way to disable the rear back up sensors but I havent seen that on my 2020 Model Y Performance.

As the ad says, Tesla service center wont install any tow software unless they do the hitch install so you are on your own. I did my own hitch install a year ago and love it so far. Went with the simple Draw-tite and was fairly simple but a little time consuming to install. IF you wwere to use this harness you mentioned the whole thing would take about an hour. Good find ! Obviously only for the DIY crowd, theres alot on here that prefer Tesla to tie their shoes for them too so they will inevitably chime in here ;)
I installed my own hitch for a bike rack and cargo carrier with no plans to actually tow and now things have changed.

I just saw this and thought it seemed too simple with other posts of people splicing and making their own adapters and such. Felt like I might be missing by something.

I don’t care for the tow mode to be enabled, so this looks like probably my best bet for a pretty reasonable price. $85 shipped and all I gotta do is remove the bumper again and plug it in. Sounds like a win! :)

Thanks for your input. Like I said this seemed too good to be true so I felt like k was missing something compared to the other $100+ sets that require the splicing.

Yep no brainer. Love the full plug play.. i spliced a lead into the 12v plug in trunk and that took an extra 5 min. Rest was all plug and play. But I hate cutting into factory harness and this is half the price ! Win win.. unless Tesla does something dicky and disables that rear tow harness for those not paying for their gourmet install lol

Good thing I came by here; so I got a (TESLA) OEM trailer hitch from some guy here in LA, is brand new and comes with the wiring harness direct fit; I'll post pictures later if i can; I will install sometime this week; is good to know that my lights will work without trailer mode available...

Thanks @Synder for the pinout and part numbers. I tried to create this plug, but found a couple of issues with my 2021 June Model Y.
1. Ground is on the Black Corner wire.
2. There are two white wires, one of them is reverse. The other white wire has a + voltage upon putting the car in gear/pressing the brake pedal.
3. You need a different pin for the Molex connector in order to use the constant 12V (Red corner wire) and ground. I have not found the part number, but it is different than the other pins.
4. I did not get to find the brake controller wire yet. I stopped working on it until I get the other pins.

I purchased the following from DigiKey:
1. Molex male connector - DigiKey PART: WM10859-ND, MFG : Molex / 0349861601
2. Molex pins - DigiKey PART: WM11224CT-ND - MFG : Molex (VA) / 0330000001 - This is for 14 AWG, you will need a different part number for thinner wires.

So, I am missing the pins for the corner connections. Does anyone know this part number? My backup is to just splice the cables, but I am not in a hurry and want to play with building this connector.

Attachments

• 20211220_175039.jpg
    20211220_175039.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 824
  • 20211220_175053.jpg
    20211220_175053.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 20211220_175105.jpg
    20211220_175105.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 253
  • 20211220_175118.jpg
    20211220_175118.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 346
Thanks @Synder for the pinout and part numbers. I tried to create this plug, but found a couple of issues with my 2021 June Model Y.
1. Ground is on the Black Corner wire.
2. There are two white wires, one of them is reverse. The other white wire has a + voltage upon putting the car in gear/pressing the brake pedal.
3. You need a different pin for the Molex connector in order to use the constant 12V (Red corner wire) and ground. I have not found the part number, but it is different than the other pins.
4. I did not get to find the brake controller wire yet. I stopped working on it until I get the other pins.

I purchased the following from DigiKey:
1. Molex male connector - DigiKey PART: WM10859-ND, MFG : Molex / 0349861601
2. Molex pins - DigiKey PART: WM11224CT-ND - MFG : Molex (VA) / 0330000001 - This is for 14 AWG, you will need a different part number for thinner wires.

So, I am missing the pins for the corner connections. Does anyone know this part number? My backup is to just splice the cables, but I am not in a hurry and want to play with building this connector.
Just to update, I think the corner pin I need is Tyco 2.8 terminal MFG TE 1-1326031-2, Mouser's #571-1-1326031-2 for 12AWG wire. Hard to find too unless you want 7000+ reel of it. Grabbed this information from the Molex connector datasheet. It will be mid Jan when I get it and will report back when I assemble the entire thing.

Sorry for the delayed response! This pinout I made with a multimeter and testing. Notice I mentioned corners in the pinout, this should guide you through getting the pinout correct and avoid any confusion of pin #s between male/female connector. My car is an early VIN 2020 (no heated steering wheel or pedestrian speaker) fyi. I like the harness idea gman99!

My car is an early VIN 2020. The pinout is described from corner to corner to avoid confusion of pin number from male to female connector.

Neat idea gman99! The chains are still tight but doable, I may improve the placement eventually but for my occasional use I'm okay as-is.

Just wanted to chime in. I bought the harness for my model y and installed a week ago. While it plugs in just fine, im not receiving any voltage on break/turn signal. I contacted them for support so we'll see what's up.

Just wanted to chime in. I bought the harness for my model y and installed a week ago. While it plugs in just fine, im not receiving any voltage on break/turn signal. I contacted them for support so we'll see what's up.
Not sure what controller you are using but here is the colour code match up for Tekonsha products.

CA956CC0-CDA5-4110-BD2D-103459D85C9A.jpeg

Attachments

• 6E49DB9D-F58F-46BE-8706-BDD6999CC5BC.png
    6E49DB9D-F58F-46BE-8706-BDD6999CC5BC.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Not sure what controller you are using but here is the colour code match up for Tekonsha products.

View attachment 837903
It’s the ingenext harness they were selling (seemed to have been removed from their site this week) including the connector so I didn’t have to splice anything…

Attachments

• 930DCAC5-B2C2-472E-873D-6E90011D379B.jpeg
    930DCAC5-B2C2-472E-873D-6E90011D379B.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
How you fix the problem ?
I haven’t yet but probably going to go and splice the brake/signal wires and do it up manually. I have to take the bumper off if I want to check the connector to see if there is signal routed somewhere else. Other possibility is that a fuse isn’t installed because it doesn’t have tow package or it’s disabled in software in which case well be SOL lol