Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY: Troubleshoot "dead" horn on 2014 pre-facelift model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my horn in for service a couple of times at Tesla's because it stops working, and of course starts working again at the shop. They "clean the contacts", whatever that means but since it's already working when they have it in- house they are never able to fully troubleshoot the issue and verify that it works.

Now it's once more dead, not responding to steering wheel pressure nor the app, and since the car is our of warranty and Tesla wants to start charging for the troubleshooting, I'm wondering if there are anything I can check myself.

I have checked the #45 fuse that the manual says is for "Passive entry (horns" and it seems to be OK, and indeed passive entry works, so the next point is to check the wiring.

Anyone have any experience with this? I believe I have the wiring diagrams and a general idea of where the horns are located but if anyone has done this before I'd be happy for some quick info on caveats etc before I start dismantling the car ;)

Reactions: WarpedOne
The fuses are fine if the issue comes and goes - that's why they are looking at contacts.

I think I'd start with replacing the horn itself if they didn't start with that. Something is getting connected and disconnected - and it sounds like they did the steering wheel side. I haven't replaced the horn in a Tesla, but I did on some simpler cars years ago and it was just a simple unplug and replace process. You might even be able to go with an old Model T horn or something else interesting (what I did years ago) unless Tesla used a computerized horn or something.

My horn stopped working last week after slowing dying for a few weeks prior. The horn tone kept getting weaker and weaker. I thought it was my imagination at first but then one day last week I tried to beep someone sitting at a green light and... nothing. The horn did come back a few days later but then went again.

I have a appointment to replace it this week. It sounds like they have to drop the front bumper to do it. $65 x 2 for the horn parts (high tone and low tone) plus labor as it's out of warranty.

That horn was dead on delivery. I've used mine one time.... never again. What an embarrassment! You would think in such a dominating car Elon would've put a substantial horn (think: TRAIN)