Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

‘Merica

S85 and S100D
Jun 3, 2019
Las Vegas
I had fantastic results. My yellowing was fairly minor. An hour in each corner last night, and it’s completely gone. I couldn’t be happier.

ianaz1

Sep 4, 2017
Dublin. CA
I'll try that again with a contact doh!

Hey, Does anyone in the East Bay Area (Dublin) have a home-made UV rig I can borrow please. My cell 917 318 9522.

Thanks

wwu123

Apr 11, 2017
Silicon Valley, CA
I'll try that again with a contact doh!

Hey, Does anyone in the East Bay Area (Dublin) have a home-made UV rig I can borrow please. My cell 917 318 9522.

Thanks

Hi Ian, I DM'ed you back on the forum with my info. You're welcome to take mine, though I'm across the bay from you, so you'll probably find it far more convenient just to get one from Amazon directly with Prime shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X8ZVJSS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SecrtAgnt

Mar 9, 2021
Rochester, NY
I'm seeing the yellow border on my 2018 Model S 75D (built 09/18), especially across the top. If I go the DIY route with this using the nail dryer on Amazon, are there any risks I should be aware of? For those that had success with this several months ago, has the problem stayed away? If I try using the nail dryer UV light, and I'm not happy with the result, will that have any negative impact on having the SC fix it with their UV machine? Has anyone in Western NY had this done at the Henrietta SC? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm just a little nervous about trying this out for some reason.

Thanks!

morepower

Sep 4, 2017
Washington
I doubt it would have any negative impact but why not just take it to the SC in the first place? Of course if you have plenty of down time at home due to COVID give it a shot. If it works than you would already have the tool to fix it again if it comes back. I had mine done a 18 Month back and it still looks good.

MorrisonHiker

Mar 8, 2015
Colorado
I doubt it would have any negative impact but why not just take it to the SC in the first place? Of course if you have plenty of down time at home due to COVID give it a shot. If it works than you would already have the tool to fix it again if it comes back. I had mine done a 18 Month back and it still looks good.
Both of our Model S are out of warranty. If the yellow border returns, we'll probably try the home method first.

motocheme

Jun 25, 2019
Murrieta, CA
I have had the screen in my 2018 model S replaced for the yellow border. The new screen turned yellow as well. I took it to the service center to have them do the UV treatment on the new screen and it worked for a while. I think it has been about a year now and the yellow border is coming back again. If you are out of warranty you have nothing to loose with the home remedy since paying for the service isn't a permanent solution anyhow.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

SecrtAgnt

Mar 9, 2021
Rochester, NY
I took my Model S to the service center today to have the UV treatment done on my screen (along with a couple of other things). The service writer said that it was kind of like a portable tanning bed that they used and that for some screens it took a few treatments. I picked up the car after the SC had closed and unfortunately I didn't notice any difference in the screen at all. I double-checked the invoice and it says that they did the UV treatment (it was done under warranty).

They needed to order a part for another minor issue, so I'll have them treat it again when I take it back took get the part. In the mean time, I'm going to try the DIY approach.

Also, for what it's worth, there was a layer of yellowish dust left on parts of my screen and dash near the screen when I picked up my car. Maybe they just hadn't used the lamp in a while and it had collected a bunch of dust which fell onto my screen? It was kind of odd.

Hopefully one of these treatments will work.

Reactions: Country Roads

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC