Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not try sunlight? There’s about as much UV on an overcast day as a clear day. I’ve used overcast daylight to cure optical cement for a telescope lens. If your screen is out of the car, it seems it might be easy to put it outside for a day. I’d love to know if sunlight will eliminate the yellow.

Hmm maybe I'll try this with the sunroof open, I mean it can't hurt to try.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I love my car(going on 2 years now) and it’s been the best decision I made outside of my family. but OMG had I found this forum PRIOR to my purchase I would have maybe never even got one.
We really need to stop these positive posts, it really does upset some on this forum. There's no place for Tesla praise on TMC. ;)

Thanks for sharing,pretty cool
o.png

Last edited:
Hmm maybe I'll try this with the sunroof open, I mean it can't hurt to try.

You’d be exposing your upholstery to the UV so it is possible you might fade the exposed surfaces under the open roof.

I’d suggested it because that fellow said he had an extra screen, so that could be put outside, flat, so getting maximal exposure. I doubt there will be enough UV reaching the screen if the screen is in the car and the sun roof is open. There is the time of exposure, the sun moves 15 degrees per hour across the sky, then there is the angle, since the light will be coming in somewhat near vertical, the amount of UV energy that strikes the near vertical screen will be very small. We could calculate it but I don’t think it is worthwhile. I suppose you could rig an aluminum foil reflector to redirect the sunlight, then keep moving it, but I think the best bet will be to buy one of those UV light setups described in the first post. I just can’t see sunlight being an option for a screen that’s still installed in the dash.

I'm really glad this was posted! I've been thinking about the merits of trying a DYI fix for my yellow border on my Model X screen ever since I saw a photo of the unit Tesla started using for the repair.

I wasn't able to see what the actual bulbs looked like on it, since the pictures I saw were of the unit attached to a dash and actually in operation. But it basically appeared to be a metal box that fit almost perfectly around the display, with some kind of fasteners on the top and bottom to hold it in place. I saw it had several cooling fans built into it. I assumed maybe it used 4 UV florescent tubes placed around the inside edges of it so as to shine directly on the yellow parts of the touchscreen when it's attached to it. Could be they used a bunch of LED lights in it too, but seemed like that was making it more complex than necessary to me?

Either way, I can see how the tubes would wear out after so many hours of use. I have a bug zapper that needs new tubes in it each season, after leaving it powered on after dark and off in the morning in the summer. Assume it's the same situation. The tubes still light up to the naked eye when you plug it in, but bugs stop being attracted to it -- apparently because the UV output diminishes.

Aquarium UV light tubes might be just the thing to DYI something suitable.... My guess is, such a rig would direct the light much better to fix the problem than the unit shown in the original post here, that's just generally aimed at the screen while sitting on boxes?

Not every screen has the issue. I suspect the issue is that the UV light source they used for curing the screens when they were assembled didn't get replaced often enough so some screens didn't get fully cured, while ones that were made right after a lamp change were fully cured.

Only screens made late 2016 are experiencing the yellowing ring. Older screens had its own issues. (leaking goo, bubbles)

Thanks for posting this.

When I spoke to the person at the SC last week during the 2nd Annual service he said yes they were doing the UV treatment of the yellowing screens but the equipment "wore out" and to check back later.

As I have 2 UV light sources I was thinking of rigging something up myself.

"Wore out"??? That's possible and means the light bulb(s) quit. That's a pretty damn simple thing to fix in a service center. But then maybe this is technology that is a bit too advanced for Tesla.

BTW, I read something on UV lights the other day, maybe it was a YouTube video by Big Clive, can't recall. But it talked about the different types of UV lights. Type A and B UV will light up your clothes and such, but mostly are not harmful other than long term exposure. The other form (UV-C) is very dangerous causing rapid burns and photokeratitis to the eyes. So if you make your own UV light fixture, be careful of which type of light is being generated and protect your eyes.

Wow! I don't get it..your cars build 2018 mine is 2017 and we have it but MichaelP90dl above is 2015 and states he does not have the issue?o_O

My expectation is that the problem is caused by inadequately cured glue in the assembly process. Over time it ages. There is no reason to think all cars will develop the problem since many displays were likely made correctly. Or it could be some other mistake in making the units, but it does not seem that all cars are affected. My car was built in July/Aug '18 and developed the problem less than a year later.

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Update: Since the first post I've subjected the screen to another ~8 hours of UV treatment, splitting it into 4 "quadrants" and applying light directly to each one for ~2 hours each.

I can say at this point that the yellow ring is almost completely gone - I'd say ~95% improvement. I honestly don't know if I'm still seeing a ring or my mind wants to see one - either way the whole experiment has been a great success. For $35 all-in, I'm extremely satisfied. If others find themselves in my post-warranty position or otherwise don't want to mess with the service center rodeo, go for it - you've got little to lose.

I did that too! Motorola 6805 (I think) mostly. Yes, those erasing machine typically had mechanical interlocks so you didn't go blind. Got a little warm too.
I still got one of those eprom erasers - it has a simple interlock (a small proximity switch cuts the power to the light bulb when drawer is not closed all the way). Even the timer is mechanical on it. Very simple design, worked well.

That is why I said "$200 of time and facilities". :) Btw, it probably takes at least an hour combined to take the car in from customer, park it, then bring it off the parking lot, setup the machine, then take things down, make sure it's still working, clean it up, return the car to customer. Their hourly rate of $155 IIRC. I think my $200 guestimate might be on the low end.
I agree! I don't want to drive down there, leave my car and drive back. Its worth it to me to diy and spend $35

Really appreciate this thread, thanks OP.

My 2014 Model S had the "bubbles and goo" issue. The entire MCU was replaced in 2017 under warranty. And guess what showed up last week? Yeah - the yellow border issue. Great.

Gonna try the new Carlsbad service center first. Anybody know what the service center will charge for this if you are out of warranty? If they can't do it, or want to charge an exorbitant amount, I will try this DIY solution.

screen.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
How difficult would it be to make a 3d printed holder for these UV lights? I'm thinking that a thingaverse recipe and a shopping list of UV lamps on amazon would be a neat contribution.
Difficulty level depends on how universal you want it, specifically what max size parts you can print (remember, the screen is large, so the holder is likely to be large). Then the challenge would be to design it so all parts go together and it works well - sounds like a mech eng challenge.

Difficulty level depends on how universal you want it, specifically what max size parts you can print (remember, the screen is large, so the holder is likely to be large). Then the challenge would be to design it so all parts go together and it works well - sounds like a mech eng challenge.

The holder could be a frame made out of some kid's construction toy. The lamp would be attached with some minimal amount of 3D printed clips and the lamp purchased from eBay... hmmm... maybe I'll get on that.

Is the bezel for the display the same in the S and X? Does this happen in the model 3? I suppose the model Y will have the same display as the 3, no? That could be a simple hook over the top of the display.

The holder could be a frame made out of some kid's construction toy. The lamp would be attached with some minimal amount of 3D printed clips and the lamp purchased from eBay... hmmm... maybe I'll get on that.

Is the bezel for the display the same in the S and X? Does this happen in the model 3? I suppose the model Y will have the same display as the 3, no? That could be a simple hook over the top of the display.

Are suction cups a bad idea for these sorts of screens?

Entirely speculation but an assembly made up of one of these and a suction cup and a some 3d printed clips to hold the mess together may be sufficient to reverse the yellowing one side / section at a time.

latest

Really appreciate this thread, thanks OP.

My 2014 Model S had the "bubbles and goo" issue. The entire MCU was replaced in 2017 under warranty. And guess what showed up last week? Yeah - the yellow border issue. Great.

Gonna try the new Carlsbad service center first. Anybody know what the service center will charge for this if you are out of warranty? If they can't do it, or want to charge an exorbitant amount, I will try this DIY solution.

View attachment 483932
Would you keep posted about your experience? I have the same issue and in the area so need to know how they handle. I still have warranty though.

Thanks!