Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying out the method from @Blue X90 and it’s working out slowly but surely! As mentioned in this thread it looks like the key is getting the light as close as possible to the screen which is easier with Blue X90s method (vs rigging up a cardboard box with the other UC light).

BEA54B84-39C3-4A9B-9A01-F3D35126D1B8.jpeg

Reactions: N..8
UCMNDD, this has been a great DIY for those of us that live a bit away from our SC and don't wish to loose the day or two of work to drive the cars to the SC. As people here already said the light has to be really close and for me the LEDs needed to be directly in front of the area I'm treating. My first time doing it I placed it just in the middle of the screen and the Yellowing faded (darkened) for the most part. Then I began to work the outer edge in sections. It only takes me about 5 mins to set it up and then I forget about it for the day.

Reactions: ucmndd
UCMNDD, this has been a great DIY for those of us that live a bit away from our SC and don't wish to loose the day or two of work to drive the cars to the SC. As people here already said the light has to be really close and for me the LEDs needed to be directly in front of the area I'm treating. My first time doing it I placed it just in the middle of the screen and the Yellowing faded (darkened) for the most part. Then I began to work the outer edge in sections. It only takes me about 5 mins to set it up and then I forget about it for the day.

How was your final result?

Here is my attempt. I removed the screen and put it in a box, had 2 lights on in for about 28 hours. No specific reason for time, it was just when I put it in and took it out. All the yellowing is gone. Ring remains when uv shines on it. Also I tried using the UV light on a non yellow screen and also see the uv glowing ring....Compare_s.jpg

Reactions: ucmndd
My late 2016 Model S was one of the earlier cars to exhibit the infamous yellow ring on the 17” MCU screen. I had it replaced early on, right before my warranty expired, before the prevalence of the problem was really known. Now about a year and a half later, the replacement screen has once again yellowed and I’m well out of warranty, about to turn 100,000 miles. I’m far from a service center, have no idea if Tesla would charge me for the UV treatment, if they even have the tool, and frankly don’t have the time or interest to fight with their service organization about it.

But hey, it’s just UV light, right? How hard could this be? I did a little research and determined that most adhesives for glass bonding are cured with UV light in the 365-400nm range. After a little poking around on Amazon looking for a reasonably powerful light in that spectrum, I settled on this bad boy for $35:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MDWKNMK

It arrived the next day and I set out to fashion a rig of sorts (read: stack of cardboard boxes) to position the light in front of the screen and see what happened. I took some basic precautions to cover the dash with towels - didn’t want to risk yellowing the lacquer on the wood dash parts or anything.

Long story short, it’s dark now so hard to know for certain but first impression is that after 4 hours of baking the yellowing is dramatically reduced, but not quite gone. I’m going to examine things in the daylight tomorrow and based on what I see do another 4-6 hours and reassess. As of now I’m quite pleased with the results for $35 and am reasonably certain it will get even better with a little more time.

Before:
View attachment 481061
View attachment 481062
View attachment 481063

Shots of my “rig”:

View attachment 481064
View attachment 481065
View attachment 481066

After:

View attachment 481067

I know it’s kinda hard to see the results in the pics, but it looks markedly better in person. Will try and get some better shots tomorrow.

Nice thanks for the insight. I have yet to deal with this issue as most the Tesla’s I own or owned never had many miles before I sold them. But it’s been something I’ve kind of been waiting to occur with my P85D now that I actually use it and has 28k miles. I will def remember this for when the time comes.
Thx

BulldogsRus, perhaps others meant that, but the poster I responded to said, "It’s hard to believe Tesla is taking so long to “create and produce a machine” when a $35 diy solution works just fine". That seems pretty clear he wasn't aware the tool actually existed. If not, it was poorly written.

You also have to put it in the context of the poster having sold his Tesla, still remaining on a Tesla forum, and doesn't seem to appreciate that not all owners detest their Teslas. Yes, there's much to criticize about how Tesla goes about their business, but there's still quite a bit to appreciate about owning a Tesla. ;)

Very true, I can criticize a lot of things about Tesla’s and don’t hesitate too cause it’s informative for others who have never owned to get honest insight since so many owners won’t say anything negative like they owe it to Tesla. Which is the last thing any owners should think or feel if they really knew the shady things Tesla has done in the past, present and definitely moving forward. I always try to tell people who are new to owning how much better Tesla was years ago with their customer service. It was top notch and a step above anyone else and has drastically changed primarily due to less employees. The service has never been an employee issue too me but more of an upper management issue leaving employees to take the fault for something they can’t control. With all the positives definitely comes with a lot of negatives especially when it comes to trust. I don’t trust Tesla at all (the ones making the decisions, such as the updates they have done to negatively effect cars). But from my experience the employees on the floor are still some of the most respectful and generous people to deal with. At least at all the service centers I’ve been too.

Tesla did my screen earlier this week. They told me they had version 3 of the UV light treatment. They said version 1 took forever to fix the yellow border, so they developed version 2 that had a more powerful light source. However, they indicated that the UV light source would burn out after several treatments. The new, version 3 unit seems to be reliable and normally treats the screen in 2-1/2 hours, with an occasional need for a second treatment if the screen is really bad. Version 3 of the device is being manufactured and shipped to all the service centers now.

I asked whether the treatment is permanent and they replied that the fix is too new to know for sure, but that no screen treated to date has come back for a re-treatment. They also said that if a screen needs a re-treatment it would be at no cost as long as the car is under warranty. He did not say what would happen (ie, if you would have to pay for the treatment) if the car is no longer under warranty.

This thread has been very informative and lead me to my own solution for $14.99.

I found this device that has 4 UV bulbs at 365nm:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X8ZVJSS/

Many thanks to Blue X90. I bought the above instrument and used it on my screen. I laid the UV light for 12 hrs on each quadrant of the screen. I can confirm that the above instrument does the required job and I don't see the yellow borderline on my screen now. I was waiting for the past 3 months and all SCs around me have their machines not working.

I’ve got my car baking right now. Based on the descriptions above, my box is likely too deep (didn’t see that info until after I started). I’m going to let it be for 12 hours or so, and see what happens.

Attachments

• 6AA4004F-F28C-4886-BEF4-1797643E5471.jpeg
    6AA4004F-F28C-4886-BEF4-1797643E5471.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 364