Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY UV Treatment for Yellowed MCU Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try that again with a contact doh!

Hey, Does anyone in the East Bay Area (Dublin) have a home-made UV rig I can borrow please. My cell 917 318 9522.

Thanks

Hi Ian, I DM'ed you back on the forum with my info. You're welcome to take mine, though I'm across the bay from you, so you'll probably find it far more convenient just to get one from Amazon directly with Prime shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X8ZVJSS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm seeing the yellow border on my 2018 Model S 75D (built 09/18), especially across the top. If I go the DIY route with this using the nail dryer on Amazon, are there any risks I should be aware of? For those that had success with this several months ago, has the problem stayed away? If I try using the nail dryer UV light, and I'm not happy with the result, will that have any negative impact on having the SC fix it with their UV machine? Has anyone in Western NY had this done at the Henrietta SC? Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm just a little nervous about trying this out for some reason.

Thanks!

I doubt it would have any negative impact but why not just take it to the SC in the first place? Of course if you have plenty of down time at home due to COVID give it a shot. If it works than you would already have the tool to fix it again if it comes back. I had mine done a 18 Month back and it still looks good.

I doubt it would have any negative impact but why not just take it to the SC in the first place? Of course if you have plenty of down time at home due to COVID give it a shot. If it works than you would already have the tool to fix it again if it comes back. I had mine done a 18 Month back and it still looks good.
Both of our Model S are out of warranty. If the yellow border returns, we'll probably try the home method first.

I have had the screen in my 2018 model S replaced for the yellow border. The new screen turned yellow as well. I took it to the service center to have them do the UV treatment on the new screen and it worked for a while. I think it has been about a year now and the yellow border is coming back again. If you are out of warranty you have nothing to loose with the home remedy since paying for the service isn't a permanent solution anyhow.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I took my Model S to the service center today to have the UV treatment done on my screen (along with a couple of other things). The service writer said that it was kind of like a portable tanning bed that they used and that for some screens it took a few treatments. I picked up the car after the SC had closed and unfortunately I didn't notice any difference in the screen at all. I double-checked the invoice and it says that they did the UV treatment (it was done under warranty).

They needed to order a part for another minor issue, so I'll have them treat it again when I take it back took get the part. In the mean time, I'm going to try the DIY approach.

Also, for what it's worth, there was a layer of yellowish dust left on parts of my screen and dash near the screen when I picked up my car. Maybe they just hadn't used the lamp in a while and it had collected a bunch of dust which fell onto my screen? It was kind of odd.

Hopefully one of these treatments will work.

Reactions: Country Roads
It took about 14 hours total over 2 days. I moved the UV light to each of the corners. Yellowing seems to be gone for now. I am surprised it worked. The yellow banding was much worse in person but here are the before and after photos. I will take to Tesla if it comes back. This was worth the very minimal effort it took.

mcu big yellow sm 1.jpg before

mcu big no yellow sm.jpg after
mcu upper corner no yellow.jpg will bring the car outside tomorrow and double check results.

Last edited:
It took about 14 hours total over 2 days. I moved the UV light to each of the corners. Yellowing seems to be gone for now. I am surprised it worked. The yellow banding was much worse in person but here are the before and after photos. I will take to Tesla if it comes back. This was worth the very minimal effort it took.

View attachment 739915 before

View attachment 739916 after
View attachment 739919 will bring the car outside tomorrow and double check results.
That is good news! Can you post a link to the UV light you purchased at Amazon as a point of reference to those that may want to try the DIY route? I have no problems at the moment since I upgraded to MCU2 but with Tesla you never know. Thanks.

Reactions: KArnold
How do you get the car's screens and climate control to not stay on while doing this? My car even when I am out of it and far away still has the screen changing every second and hvac system turning itself on, as if I was in the car. And doing screen cleaner mode doesn't help either. Or do I just do this with the screen on and changing? Though wasting a lot of battery on hvac, unless turn it off every 2 minutes via phone app.

How do you get the car's screens and climate control to not stay on while doing this? My car even when I am out of it and far away still has the screen changing every second and hvac system turning itself on, as if I was in the car. And doing screen cleaner mode doesn't help either. Or do I just do this with the screen on and changing? Though wasting a lot of battery on hvac, unless turn it off every 2 minutes via phone app.
Turn the car off (should automatically happen after you lock it, but you can also explicitly do that from the main screen, it won't turn back on until you close and open the doors, or hit the brake pedal).

Right but when you turn the car off, as soon as you exit it turns back on. The only thing that works sometimes is to put it in screen cleaner mode and then exit and get lucky. It seems the UV light is pressing buttons, turning on hvac, ect on the screen.

Right but when you turn the car off, as soon as you exit it turns back on. The only thing that works sometimes is to put it in screen cleaner mode and then exit and get lucky. It seems the UV light is pressing buttons, turning on hvac, ect on the screen.
If you shut off the car (not just screen cleaning mode) via the main screen menus, no amount of touching the screen will turn the car back on. Only brake pedal, or shut the door and open again. This has been true for my Teslas at least.