Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY vinyl wrap interior and exterior :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks sick. I did the same thing. You can get your badges painted or dip yours in like an hour which is what I did. Holding flawlessly after 31k miles. You can also dip the Tesla lettering on back trim and that contrast of CF/black would be cool.
Some cool things:
RPMTESLA sells the trim by the fog lights to wrap. I did that and it is super easy.
I took off my front badge and taped it where it was sticking out on the side of my lights in front of my house to get around it 360* so I dipped it. Rear badges I just dipped. Looks great and do not have to worry about replacing them perfectly. Pictures attached.

Thanks for the tips. I like how your X looks super low. Your X looks lower than mine on "VERY LOW". Do you have a suspension mod?

Thanks! Yes i removed it. I thought someone would ask so i took a few pictures when I did it :) There are 6 snaps in the upper center (yellow arrows), then there are 4 alignment ribs that go into these slots (red arrows), then there is a triangular piece of adhesive (red circles) on each end of the chrome.

I started on the right side. I pried the end of the chrome up with some trim tools. Probably could have done the floss trick (for emblems) to break the adhesive but I was kind of impatient. Then i worked left to unsnap the hooks, then eventually ended on the left and broke the adhesive with the trim tools again. The adhesive is really the hardest part. The trick is to pry up, then wedge something sharp under and cut the double stick tape a little at a time.
View attachment 401357
View attachment 401358
View attachment 401366

After removing the trim from the car, the logo part must be broken off the trim. The logo is heat staked onto the trim...Meaning there are some plastic posts on the logo part that are melted to the trim part. This "welds" them together. See the red circles below. There are 5 or 6 posts that have to be ground off to remove the logo part. I used a Dremel tool to grind off the tops of the posts. Pictures already have the post tops removed.
View attachment 401360

Logo part removed...
View attachment 401361

After the logo part is removed just apply the vinyl to the chrome part, press it into the letter holes as best you can, put your blade in there and follow the edges of the openings to make the cuts. Really easy after removing the Tesla logo part. Oh also the logo part snapped back into the chrome part w/o issue. I was going to glue the logo part back in, but it held pretty well so i just left it alone.

Hope this helps, good Luck!

I would like to personally say thank you for your write-up. I was able to tackle these steps from beginning to end; very thorough. Here is how I came out:

IMG_20190626_053817_1.jpg
IMG_20190626_060923.jpg
IMG_20190626_060936.jpg

This is very cool and gives me some suggestions for taking care of some issues in my 2009 Mercury Mariner hybrid interior with a wrap of some of the areas of wear in the center console and arm rests. Does anyone have experiece with the carbon fiber wrap offerings from Amazon?

• Disagree
Reactions: Jetwash08
Sorry for my ignorance, but you can vinyl wrap the wheels? I really didn’t want to spend the extra cash for the upgraded ones. How hard is it to do the deletes yourself? Can you take it off if you mess up?

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. People do vinyl their wheels but that works best on flat face wheels only. Wheel Dip has drastically improved over the last two years with a multitude of colors, finishes (metallic, etc), and kits. I'd recommend that route or powder coating.

Everything vinyl (or dip for that matter) is removable so trial and error costs just time and materials.