Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Vinyl Wraps and Pieces

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a vinyl cutter for making signs and graphics, and was wondering if anyone had "patterns" or files to share or collaborate on for making either paint protection pieces for the car's exterior or stick on "upgrades" to the trim, door handles, emblems...I can get all kinds of different prints and types and would like to really make the car my own...Think about gold trim instead of piano black, or other types of finishes that can be put on and replaced when your ready to refresh your cars look!?!

I have a vinyl cutter and I've used it to do graphics for vehicles. But when it comes to wrapping items (mirrors, hoods ,wings, etc.) I've never found it necessary. From what I've seen with pre-cut paint protection kits, they generally don't fit well on modern cars w/ sensors on the bumper fascia with intricate compound curves and details. Generally they have to be custom wrapped for a good look. If you're looking to wrap items, I'd recommend just not being cheap w/ the materials since a lot more excess is needed for manipulation that you may initially think.

Definitely try it if you have the inclination, you can't really hurt anything as long as it's on factory paint, you don't go nuts with heat or scratch anything w/ the tools.

I have a vinyl cutter and I've used it to do graphics for vehicles. But when it comes to wrapping items (mirrors, hoods ,wings, etc.) I've never found it necessary. From what I've seen with pre-cut paint protection kits, they generally don't fit well on modern cars w/ sensors on the bumper fascia with intricate compound curves and details. Generally they have to be custom wrapped for a good look. If you're looking to wrap items, I'd recommend just not being cheap w/ the materials since a lot more excess is needed for manipulation that you may initially think.

Definitely try it if you have the inclination, you can't really hurt anything as long as it's on factory paint, you don't go nuts with heat or scratch anything w/ the tools.
Thanks for the reply, I definitely want to tryout out with either carbon fiber emblems or red emblems, but the interior trim would be really cool to try and "wrap" Ill have to start the measurement process and post progress as it goes!

Thanks for the reply, I definitely want to tryout out with either carbon fiber emblems or red emblems, but the interior trim would be really cool to try and "wrap" Ill have to start the measurement process and post progress as it goes!
If you're talking about the piano finish center console items, it might be best to go with an oversized piece of vinyl and wrap it to fit & finish. I dunno if getting dimensions and cutting the vinyl to fit will give good results. I've never attempted interior components but I'll bet there's enough youtube videos out there now-a-days that would make you a master at it.

If I could wrap these on my mirror caps, I would do the following
  1. Die laughing
  2. Die again laughing
  3. Probably take it off after a week of dying laughing
*If you don't know who these guys are, look up Robbie Blumpkin and Steve Brule on Instagram, I promise you will not be sorry.*

---------------

Ok ok in all seriousness, I have thought about wrapping my emblems in chrome gold. I know its like super flashy, but I have always thought it could look unique. May do it just for shits and gigs

Attachments

• 14240867_505470819646553_1487009986_n.jpg
    14240867_505470819646553_1487009986_n.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 44
  • 1509e34005183da5ea4eb29150f341e5_400x400.jpeg
    1509e34005183da5ea4eb29150f341e5_400x400.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 36