Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NHK X

Nov 18, 2017
Texas
Anyone on here have experience doing a full DIY wrap for their Tesla? Not asking for a debate with going to a shop instead. Saving money isn’t the objective, although nice. I like DIY and want to learn how to do this so I can change out colors easily if the vinyl is damaged or I want a fresh coat of color.

I’ve done a fair amount of research and think I can do a fairly good job. Expecting some challenges and imperfections along the way. Will be using a heat gun and take time to be meticulous.

Some of the simple large panels seem straightforward. Wondering what you have done for the door jams and complex areas and small nooks in the front and rear bumper. Can you overlap some areas of vinyl? Any other advice on prep, tools, techniques and aftercare would also be appreciated.

I have a white MX and M3, might start with a matte white so it’s a little more forgiving if I don’t fully cover the small nooks in the front bumper. Afterwards a vinyl chrome delete and some PPF to the headlights is the plan.

Reactions: Pkmmte
See this thread for DIY PPF Cheap DIY Paint Protection Film Project
There are also some threads on vinyl wraps in the Interior/Exterior forum.

Just took a look. Some helpful tips for sure but geared toward PPF, not vinyl wrap. Definitely some similarities but also some nuances compared with a wrap. Biggest one is that the wrap will be applied dry.

Guess I should clarify, not looking for computer cut pieces, looking to do this the old fashioned way buying a big roll.

• Helpful
Reactions: Moded3
There are also a lot of videos on this topic on YouTube as well, I'm sure you'll find some info there for wrapping the MX and M3.

Yeah definitely watched a lot of YouTube videos already. Most are from shops that have a lot of experience. They can make it look easy from all the experience. I want input from the community here, people who have experience doing this DIY.

Just ordered basic tools and supplies and heat gun. Will start with mild tinted vinyl to give headlights and taillights a slight tinted look as well as providing some protection from rock chips.

Develop skills before tackling trim and body panels. Saw some photos of wrapped model s in some other threads. Anyone who went with the matte wrap have any issues or second thoughts after getting it wrapped? Likely out a ceramic coat on top of the matte which could make it a little more satin, and make it easier to clean.

Reactions: jjskinner
Wrap is done for my wife's model 3. Tried to upload photos of the front but website wouldn't let me. Wrap overall looks pretty dang good, very pleased with the results. Ordered wrap through Vivvid, it's the matte white. Put a layer of ceramic coating over the top which gives it a really nice satin look instead of looking completely flat matte while making it super hydrophobic and easy to clean. Definitely turns heads.

I'm a guy with no prior experience wrapping. Watched a lot of CK wraps on youtube (who makes it look too easy) along with internet research. If you have patience, and are meticulous with prep and cutting, you can do a pretty good job even with no prior experience.

Overall cost for the wrap material was $450, I ordered 100 ft, so I have extra to cover about 60% of my model x. Other tools and ceramic coating put it at $550 total. Add another $100-150 to finish my model x and per car it is roughly $350 in total cost. Took around 35 hours in total, worked a panel at a time at night once the kids went to sleep.

In this age of youtube, anyone can do anything with the proper research. In 2 years when I want a color change and a small hobby for a couple weeks, now that I have learned this skill, I have the option to change colors in any way I want with minimal cost. All while keeping another layer on top of the paint protecting it from sun/small chips/dings.

I didn't see much info on this site when I asked prior to starting, wanted to show this here if there are any other intrepid DIY minded people who want to give this a try. I've already started the model x, the panels are much flatter in general with less curves, it should actually be a fair degree easier than the 3 was.

Best of luck,

N

IMG_1812.jpg

Few bullet point tips.

- Get edge tap
- You don't have to cover every piece with one piece of vinyl, okay to make seams but be meticulous and heat treat the seams well for longevity
- Think about the direction of the seams and direction of car movement with water
- Heat treat everything post application
- Cut a little large as the material shrinks with heat treating and time
- Take extra time prepping "dirty" areas to really make the vinyl stick long term
- Fresh blades when cutting
- Use painters tape, vinyl application gloves and use spudge tools, get lots of white gloves to keep them clean
- If a piece looks all jacked up, don't give up. With time and some gentle heat and stretching you can fix most mistakes..

I'm thinking about DIY wrapping my 3 as well and I'd love to know how you handled the recessed areas in the lower front bumper. Did you need to cut it anywhere and add, or did you do it all one piece? I'm pretty confident I can handle the rest of the car, but those areas give me some pause.

Thanks for the info, getting ready to do this myself. Did you remove the bumpers/lights or were you able to tuck into the crack?

I was able to tuck pretty well, wasn’t feeling adventurous enough to take bumpers and lights off. I did take the side repeater off though, there’s a decent YouTube video showing you how if you google. The repeater housing has small tabs on top that can be damaged if you just force it out, and the video connection has a pretty delicate tab you want to give a little bit of gentle heat prior to disconnecting so it doesn’t break. Worst case I think the mobile tech I talked to said it’s a couple hundred bucks to replace so not the end of the world if that happens.

I'm thinking about DIY wrapping my 3 as well and I'd love to know how you handled the recessed areas in the lower front bumper. Did you need to cut it anywhere and add, or did you do it all one piece? I'm pretty confident I can handle the rest of the car, but those areas give me some pause.

Honestly one piece is very hard, especially for a first timer. I made seams using edge tape, it’s easy to do the flat parts in two pieces, for the cutouts use smaller pieces. Also consider which way water will run off, you don’t want seams with the flap facing up where water can sit and egress. If you go with Matte the seams don’t seem to stick as well together, suspect it will be much less of an issue with gloss wrap.

Either way best of luck to you both. It will take stubborn persistence to learn the material but does get easier.

Honestly one piece is very hard, especially for a first timer. I made seams using edge tape, it’s easy to do the flat parts in two pieces, for the cutouts use smaller pieces. Also consider which way water will run off, you don’t want seams with the flap facing up where water can sit and egress. If you go with Matte the seams don’t seem to stick as well together, suspect it will be much less of an issue with gloss wrap.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Any chance you have pictures of those areas, or any other spots you found tricky?

Can you post some shots inside of the doors, the frunk/frunk etc? I really like the approach but am concerned about the finish quality I could achieve. I suspect the pro installers spend a lot of time on the final trimming.

Your total price makes sense; paid pro wrap jobs don't make any sense to me due to the high cost.

Can you post some shots inside of the doors, the frunk/frunk etc? I really like the approach but am concerned about the finish quality I could achieve. I suspect the pro installers spend a lot of time on the final trimming.

Your total price makes sense; paid pro wrap jobs don't make any sense to me due to the high cost.

Here's my X in Avery's Matte Anthracite Metallic. Just finished up; took 3 days off plus the weekend for some get away time. I've never touched anything like this before; I'm a computer guy lol. Still came out more than serviceable with plenty of vinyl to spare. Vinyl and reusable tools were were about $750 total. I will redo my trunk where the spoiler is (extreme angles in there) and probably my front bumper. I did not wrap my hood, the old HaloEFX is still there. I certainly respect wrappers and their skills however $3-6k for me would be better spent elsewhere. I could redo my car in 2 days tops now.
IMG_20190630_223016~2.jpg
IMG_20190630_134000~2.jpg
IMG_20190630_133938.jpg

Definitely watch some youtube videos on DIY wraps. I learned a lot from watching CK Wraps videos: CK Wraps

And watch the first few minutes of this video
on how to disassembly the mirror cap housing. The Model 3 is very similiar to the Model S's mirror cap (except there are no screws holding the bottom chrome piece, just 2 tabs). Just taking out the mirror cap and bottom chrome piece open up a lot of room to wrap the mirror arm

Reactions: acadapter