Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my X in Avery's Matte Anthracite Metallic. Just finished up; took 3 days off plus the weekend for some get away time. I've never touched anything like this before; I'm a computer guy lol. Still came out more than serviceable with plenty of vinyl to spare. Vinyl and reusable tools were were about $750 total. I will redo my trunk where the spoiler is (extreme angles in there) and probably my front bumper. I did not wrap my hood, the old HaloEFX is still there. I certainly respect wrappers and their skills however $3-6k for me would be better spent elsewhere. I could redo my car in 2 days tops now.View attachment 425340 View attachment 425341 View attachment 425342
Strong work looks great

• Love
Reactions: acadapter
Yeah definitely watched a lot of YouTube videos already. Most are from shops that have a lot of experience. They can make it look easy from all the experience. I want input from the community here, people who have experience doing this DIY.

Hardest part is the cutting and stretching of the PPF over curved panels to avoid fingers at the end. You need a helper for the stretching. As for cutting, always pull and tension the film to make cutting smooth and easy. Practice on an older car with a small piece (size of the mirror to get the feel). It's easy once you get the hang of it.

As for applying, the big smooth pieces like hood and doors are simple, you can cheat and mix in the slip and tack solutions into a hybrid, will save you time on the big pieces. Have the separate solutions for the stuff that need extra tack. The bumpers where there will be lots of cutting will be harder. Takes time, patience, and above all, lots of planning. Think three times before cutting, one mistake can ruin your hard work.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and iMoe
X looks good but can we see some close-ups inside of the door, frunk, trunk? What color are these cars underneath? I agree your post is inspirational so far!

I have Midnight Silver underneath. My FWD insides need work. I couldn't decide which bodyline to bring the wrap to and ended up not using knifeless tape --- no need to post those yet lol. Here is the inside of my door area and trunk.
IMG_20190704_162448.jpg
IMG_20190704_162343.jpg
IMG_20190704_162333_1.jpg

I’ve seen some vinyl jobs where panels appear slightly mismatched. This is noticeable on Tinh’s job in the recent LikeTesla video about DIY wrapping, and I’ve seen it on other wrapped cars from time to time. No knock on his job at all which was very inspiring, just something I noticed in one of the side shots of the car moving.

I presume it’s due to variable amounts of stretching the material panel to panel? And also affected by the wrap vs. original color? Or is there variation in the material itself that you have to watch for?

I’ve seen some vinyl jobs where panels appear slightly mismatched. This is noticeable on Tinh’s job in the recent LikeTesla video about DIY wrapping, and I’ve seen it on other wrapped cars from time to time. No knock on his job at all which was very inspiring, just something I noticed in one of the side shots of the car moving.

I presume it’s due to variable amounts of stretching the material panel to panel? And also affected by the wrap vs. original color? Or is there variation in the material itself that you have to watch for?

It's both. If you do a car it's always encouraged to order enough for spare/repairs. Basic colors have little variation but color flops, Chameleon, differ slightly roll to roll. In addition, overstretch will change color which is why Chrome's and the like can't really be stretched when applied to maintain consistency. Some colors are also directional so someone might apply the film from left to right next to a panel that has it upside down causing the differences as well.

• Informative
Reactions: woodisgood
With cars being wrapped. Does it cause any issues with AP?

Not with any vision cameras since we aren’t wrapping near them. Ultrasonics wrapped and made sure it stuck down tight around them. I didn’t do cut outs. Most of my research indicated low risk of causing issues since I didn’t use a metallic wrap. If you plan on going metallic plan on cutting out circles and maybe doing a non metallic button.

Just be careful when taking off the side repeater. Damaging the connections would just mean purchasing another side camera, but not something you want to do.

After wrapping both cars we did a cross country move without any issues with autopilot.

Few bullet point tips.

- Get edge tap
- You don't have to cover every piece with one piece of vinyl, okay to make seams but be meticulous and heat treat the seams well for longevity
- Think about the direction of the seams and direction of car movement with water
- Heat treat everything post application
- Cut a little large as the material shrinks with heat treating and time
- Take extra time prepping "dirty" areas to really make the vinyl stick long term
- Fresh blades when cutting
- Use painters tape, vinyl application gloves and use spudge tools, get lots of white gloves to keep them clean
- If a piece looks all jacked up, don't give up. With time and some gentle heat and stretching you can fix most mistakes..

do you think you could possibly tell me exactly what materials you bought for this? ex. the spudge tools , etc.

last question! what ceramic coating did you use? I've been trying to find satin black but can't find the exact color, so I'm thinking just going with matte black and doing the coating as you did with white.

No worries, I went with McKee’s. It’s an easy application relative to some other brands. In terms of longevity would assume if you went with a more pro application or actually get it done by a pro it would last longer. Also I’m no expert on this but would also assume longer longevity with a gloss wrap. I did it more for the look and hoping stays cleaner longer.

Reactions: P-Lo801
Just ordered basic tools and supplies and heat gun. Will start with mild tinted vinyl to give headlights and taillights a slight tinted look as well as providing some protection from rock chips.

Develop skills before tackling trim and body panels. Saw some photos of wrapped model s in some other threads. Anyone who went with the matte wrap have any issues or second thoughts after getting it wrapped? Likely out a ceramic coat on top of the matte which could make it a little more satin, and make it easier to clean.

what vinyl did you get for the headlights? precut ones or just a generic roll? I'm trying to start out with the lights as well

what vinyl did you get for the headlights? precut ones or just a generic roll? I'm trying to start out with the lights as well

I started with the Vivvid wraps headlight tint. Uncut in a roll, pretty cheap on amazon. I actually ended up taking mine off, a little too much light output degradation. Would order the lightest color possible. But it’s a good intro to see if you have the patience to wrap the rest of the car.

Here's my X in Avery's Matte Anthracite Metallic. Just finished up; took 3 days off plus the weekend for some get away time. I've never touched anything like this before; I'm a computer guy lol. Still came out more than serviceable with plenty of vinyl to spare. Vinyl and reusable tools were were about $750 total. I will redo my trunk where the spoiler is (extreme angles in there) and probably my front bumper. I did not wrap my hood, the old HaloEFX is still there. I certainly respect wrappers and their skills however $3-6k for me would be better spent elsewhere. I could redo my car in 2 days tops now.

@acadapter - How much wrap in total would you estimate you used for the full X? I'm looking to DIY mine in 3M S261 Satin dark grey.

@acadapter - How much wrap in total would you estimate you used for the full X? I'm looking to DIY mine in 3M S261 Satin dark grey.

I got the largest roll of Avery's --- 5ft × 75ft and used 70 percent or so. This includes the extra cut out I made for the door, a pillar, and front bumper (which is the largest body piece length wise); all which I did over.

Does the thickness of the material differ the work ability of the wrap. I was Satin space pearl it is 4.7 mils and what roll do you suggest for a Model 3 , 75'X5'

Thickness will affect it but brand seems to determine overall friendliness for stretch/heat. Brand also affects the bubble release technology built into the vinyl itself. Don't quote me, but what I've gathered from the countless industry write ups and reviews is Avery's is the most friendly of the top notch brands with 3M close behind. That's why I chose Avery's since I'd never done this before. In addition, some colors (Chrome's, shifts, etc) can't be stretched at all so the margin of error is extremely low.

Someone wrapped a Model X and Model 3 with a single 5ft×75ft roll so that should help you gauge. Let me know if I can help in any way!

• Informative
Reactions: Deece