Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
usOgdmy.jpg

PAPo2K0

PAPo2K0.jpg

ERUtpIf.jpg

yDODhRg.jpg

oyH7LUp.jpg

WcrE8Jv.jpg

Youtube.
yDODhRg

oyH7LUp

Brushed black for accent, and 3M on the rest. Also black reflective wrap on rocker panels and corners.
WcrE8Jv

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Good thing about wrap is that you can pull it off and try again. Nothing ventured nothing gained!

As part of a full front wrap I had my chrome handles covered in clear 3M when the car was new. Lately they were starting to show scratchy marks, so I pulled the film off.

Wow, bright shiny new chrome just as the day I bought it.

But alas, I am going to wrap the handles again.

Reactions: zoeconner
Only thing I've wrapped on my Tesla was doing chrome delete. I have wrapped one of my previous cars/helped wrap a few a few other friends cars. It's not too bad takes some practice and patience. Vinyl is pretty forgiving. The worst parts on majority of vehicles are bumpers/mirrors. Just depends on how much of a perfectionist you are and how much you can live without it being perfect if you make mistakes.

I'm in the process of doing it myself. It takes a long time. I've spent over 20 hours and not done yet. Any specific questions?
Maybe a general description how it is supposed to be done?
How to position the vynil, how to stretch it (?), how to step back and redo failed attempts, what to avoid, what not to do?
Anything :)

Be patient. It takes a long time. Much of the time is spent in preparation of the surface. You have to wash, clay bar and alcohol off the area first, then make sure dust or lint doesn't get on the surface.
Start with small easy areas first.
The gel makes it easy to position, but can leave a residue. I found that watering down the gel with water and alcohol works best
Spray both sides
Take 10-15 minutes to get the alignment straight. Someone helping you can save a lot of time.
Once everything is (almost perfectly) aligned, squeegee from the middle out, pushing the gel in equal small areas at a time until the moisture exits the film. Make sure you get all the moisture out. Moisture left behind can take a lot of time fixing it. Anything as big as dime size is too much moisture. Gently push open any trapped areas and then re squeegee. You have to spray the outside as well so the squeegee can slide smoothly without stretching the film
Big bubbles left behind can be needled out after a few days. Don't use bigger than 30 gauge needle. Smaller bubbles (a little bigger than pen tip size) will eventually go away and you just rub it after a week or two and it will attach and disappear
You have to stretch the side view mirror pieces in order for it to fit. You might have to cut or trim some of the curved corners to make it attach smoothly to the edges.

There's a forum member that sells xpel. He will give you all the information you need and had good prices and will provide you with everything you need, except maybe a good blade

Here is some confidence for you. I had the same aspirations so I bought a full roll of Avery's Matte Anthracite Metallic, some tools and took 3 days off work. After living in my garage for what seemed like 5 days (including the weekend) here are the fruits of my labor. Is it perfect? Nope, but close. Plus I have enough left over for almost another car so I can go back and redo the trunk and front bump which were my problem spots. Cost of materials, $750. Saved nearly $2500.

Ignore the hood, its still liquid wrapped in the previous Halo EFX I had done on the whole vehicle last year.

IMG_20190630_133938.jpg
IMG_20190630_133938.jpg
IMG_20190630_134000~2.jpg
IMG_20190630_223016~2.jpg
IMG_20190630_223016~2.jpg
IMG_20190629_005545.jpg

Reactions: Simon21
CB3CA551-DDA0-4C84-A801-2B5FA132DE83.jpeg
EB6689C4-1D99-4417-BD29-7465B9EC42D4.jpeg
17F4B905-A681-4E33-A1A5-9EFFC90ED3FF.jpeg
9D6C6179-700A-41B4-9EF0-7215E89E2334.jpeg
B9B47DE8-1627-4AC4-8066-7F97624F6C0E.jpeg
D26090F8-C931-4581-9855-D2C5B5DC08B7.jpeg

Just started. Not done yet.

Done:
Door trims
Door handles
Turn signals
Center console door
B pillar

Still need
-front
- back
- mirrors
- lower door trim

Attachments

• 3CE72B83-8CE4-4C2D-80A3-8E0A1463360E.jpeg
    3CE72B83-8CE4-4C2D-80A3-8E0A1463360E.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 3C7C226B-814A-485D-B456-1BBB4EE3B22D.jpeg
    3C7C226B-814A-485D-B456-1BBB4EE3B22D.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 70A3E181-9F5B-4E67-9112-1C346B9CD6B3.jpeg
    70A3E181-9F5B-4E67-9112-1C346B9CD6B3.jpeg
    547.3 KB · Views: 32
I have always hated the look of the 3M CF vinyl. It always looks cheap to me. I think I have just been to too many car shows and seen all the trashy VWs and Civics covered in it.

Don't disagree, it doesn't look expensive because it isn't. I have spent $20/roll and 3 rolls and still haven't tapped the third one yet. A few purchases from RPM tesla. I first wrapped the handles in 2015 because they get too damn hot in the sun. So I'm maybe down about $120 in wrap materials so far and have more to use. Much less than the $1000+ shops charge.

I'd love to replace everything chrome with real CF, and maybe the seat backs too. But that's >>>$$$$$$ and the better half thinks I'm nuts as it is for this.

looks cheap perhaps, but doesn't all the vinyl wrapping look so...? To each their own. So James lit ooks cheap vs. you did a crappy job are two different things. Looks cheap, but what's your thought on our TLC DIY? I know I need to replace a few pieces myself since this was my first time really wrapping anything.

And thanks for comparing a Tesla to a car show civic or VW. As if these cars are remotely in the same class. Haha

Here is some confidence for you. I had the same aspirations so I bought a full roll of Avery's Matte Anthracite Metallic, some tools and took 3 days off work. After living in my garage for what seemed like 5 days (including the weekend) here are the fruits of my labor. Is it perfect? Nope, but close. Plus I have enough left over for almost another car so I can go back and redo the trunk and front bump which were my problem spots. Cost of materials, $750. Saved nearly $2500.

Ignore the hood, its still liquid wrapped in the previous Halo EFX I had done on the whole vehicle last year.

View attachment 425304 View attachment 425304 View attachment 425308 View attachment 425301 View attachment 425301 View attachment 425302

Can you please post more pictures and maybe a video and instructions? Looks good

Also, where is everyone ordering the wrap from?

Don't disagree, it doesn't look expensive because it isn't. I have spent $20/roll and 3 rolls and still haven't tapped the third one yet. A few purchases from RPM tesla. I first wrapped the handles in 2015 because they get too damn hot in the sun. So I'm maybe down about $120 in wrap materials so far and have more to use. Much less than the $1000+ shops charge.

I'd love to replace everything chrome with real CF, and maybe the seat backs too. But that's >>>$$$$$$ and the better half thinks I'm nuts as it is for this.

looks cheap perhaps, but doesn't all the vinyl wrapping look so...? To each their own. So James lit ooks cheap vs. you did a crappy job are two different things. Looks cheap, but what's your thought on our TLC DIY? I know I need to replace a few pieces myself since this was my first time really wrapping anything.

And thanks for comparing a Tesla to a car show civic or VW. As if these cars are remotely in the same class. Haha
You are correct that real CF is much more expensive, that's why you always find really cheap cars covered in cheap CF vinyl.

Most vinyl wrap doesn't look cheap, if anything it makes the car look more exotic. Your personal wrap job is adequate. Someone can easily tell it's not professional as the weave patterns don't even go in the same direction.

You are correct that real CF is much more expensive, that's why you always find really cheap cars covered in cheap CF vinyl.

Most vinyl wrap doesn't look cheap, if anything it makes the car look more exotic. Your personal wrap job is adequate. Someone can easily tell it's not professional as the weave patterns don't even go in the same direction.

Correct. I need to fix the passenger front door portion. That’s where I messed up. Everything else flows from bottom right to top left at an angle. Reverse on the other side. To each their own I guess. Thanks for the honest feedback. The three comments I’ve gotten at SCs are what type of wrap is it? How much? And where did I get it done. So those who aren’t pro wrappers or fanatics actually don’t begrudge the DIY.

Correct. I need to fix the passenger front door portion. That’s where I messed up. Everything else flows from bottom right to top left at an angle. Reverse on the other side. To each their own I guess. Thanks for the honest feedback. The three comments I’ve gotten at SCs are what type of wrap is it? How much? And where did I get it done. So those who aren’t pro wrappers or fanatics actually don’t begrudge the DIY.
My opinion is my own. If you like it, then my view doesnt really matter. Enjoy your car in whatever way makes you happy.

Reactions: seclinton
Can you please post more pictures and maybe a video and instructions? Looks good

Also, where is everyone ordering the wrap from?

I will certainly share more photos. I videoed a bit early on, but that was during the struggle phase :) --- for a month, I watched CKWraps and FESPA World Wrap Masters for a month in my spare time. Check out both channels on YouTube. When I redo my trunk lid I will video that and share as well.

I ordered from MetroRestyling.com. You will find VinylGiant.com also has great pricing. The difference for me was no tax for my state from MR. Both authorized resellers.