Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Xpel Stealth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Y last weekend, drove it home, installed most of this over the weekend, finally finished it off yesterday evening. It isn't a pro job but I think it came out well. Had a lot of "oh, so that is why they do it that way" moments along the way but overall I'm happy with it. I hated how prone my 3 was to scratches and rock chips so hopefully this mitigates a lot of that.

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_185734.jpg
    IMG_20200902_185734.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 506
I'll be in it about $2200 for material and tools. I bought a 60" X 50' bulk roll because I didn't want to have to worry about aligning features such as ultrasonic sensors, door handles, etc. I also wanted some extra material in case I messed up a panel or for down the road.

Doing a bad job is easy but if you're willing to take your time and watch a lot of youtube videos it is doable.

Bought the material from a forum member:
Pentium2004

Reactions: CO_MY
Cutting those areas wasn't too bad. Sensors - I was able to slot the knife between the sensor and body panel so I didn't need to cut on the panel of the vehicle. Door handles - I was able to get the film lifted off the handle and make an access cut along the centerline of the handle. From there I was able to get the film lifted off the handle recess, put a slight bit of tension on the film, and then make my cut off the panel with the blade hovering over the gap between the handle and the body panel.

I found one of the keys to getting the blade to glide and not catch up on the film is to make sure the area being trimmed has a bit of tension.

The pros can cut on the vehicle by scoring the film without actually pushing the blade all the way through. I didn't even attempt that because I didn't want to risk cutting my paint. I was always able to find a way to make my cuts off the vehicle.

Edit: probably also worth noting is I removed as much of the trim as possible. Door trim, wheel arches, pillars, also removed tail lights, etc. That took some time up front but allowed me to tuck the film in those areas - easier trimming and seamless edges.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jbapckfan
If you did the front bumper and quarter panels then the doors will be cake. Rear hatch will have to be in bulk because it requires a lot of stretching if you want to do it in a single piece. Some good youtube videos out there showing how it is done.

Thanks for the advice. I will do the doors, rear bumper, and partially on the trunk because I do not want to remove the spoiler, and other parts.

I saw you did not put the spoiler back yet.
Still need to remove the adhesive and then reapply (3M adhesive remover has worked well for me thus far)

Looks great! How many hours did it take you to wrap the entire car?

Probably about 30 hours. Now that I know what I'm doing I could cut that down to 10. Applying the film took maybe an hour per panel, it was all the other stuff that took time; removing trim, preping panels (wash, alcohol wipe), trimming/wrapping edges, measuring & cutting bulk film, etc. All that other stuff took more time than actually applying the film.