TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

dizziness or nausea from driving Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hankinjax, Feb 22, 2016.

1. hankinjax

hankinjax Member

I just got my model s. Has anybody else gotten dizzy or nauseous after driving?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Ludicrous?

3. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

You are having delayed sticker shock!

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

My dog gets sick if I don't drive gently enough.

5. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

It's the new car smell.

6. tezzla

tezzla Member

Could it be wind buffering from the rear hatch?

7. Lump

Lump Active Member

I get nausea in my S85 after flooring a few times & I'm still under 50 & not the "delicate type", so a P85 or above was a complete waist, its been explained g-forces or blood flow with our eyes or in our brains are the cuase.

8. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

All joking aside, my wife and kids complain about dizziness when I launch from my P85.
    I guess I've already gotten use to the acceleration, but they haven't.

9. Josh.md.us

Josh.md.us Member

@hankinjax - yes, it's motion sickness and I experienced it in the beginning. In an ICE car, when you see something ahead for which you need to slow down, you take your foot completely off the accelerator and the car just coasts. In your Tesla, when you take your foot completely off the go pedal, the regeneration kicks in and slows the car dramatically. This is the issue. You'll need to get good at using the pedal to moderate your speed and instead of completely letting off the pedal, just ease up on it a little and try to mimic the coasting of a gas car.

10. dayhu99

dayhu99 Member

Yes and I drive very sedately Before I got the Tesla I first had that feeling driving the Volt It goes away after a few days The subject has been discussed before. I think it has got to do with the disconnect your brain has with noise ,movement Not unsimilar to seasickness

11. TMobe

TMobe I have forgotten more than I remember

I nearly got my girlfriend sick while she was in the back seat on my test drive. A day or two after delivery I learned how to adapt to the way it drove. All good now.

12. Electric700

Electric700 Member

No, but you might be sensitive to the new materials in the car, so try setting the vent to outside air.

It might also be the level of regenerative braking, so you could set the corresponding value to Low under Controls > Driving. Note that I don't recommend this for the long term since you will recover less energy, and that will negatively impact your range.

13. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Only time I felt a little bit dizzy was when I tried to drive with the rear view camera on as the top half of the console. The movement agains t the direction of travel out of the corner of my eye was triggering motion sickness.

14. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Change regenerative braking from standard to low. I do that when I have passengers.

15. 5thumbs

5thumbs Member

I did for the first 10 days or so, then it went away. As others have mentioned I suspect it was due to adapting to the regenerative breaking and "one pedal" driving.

16. lennieorr

lennieorr Member

We had the same problem when we took delivery. The new car smell was so strong it was nauseating. Had to leave the windows open in the garage for a few weeks to let it air out. Now my wife only complains of whiplash from acceleration.

17. nbbody

nbbody New Member

Didn't know this was a problem. I know the regeneration is weird at first when driving, but it is absolutely no different from friction brakes on an ICE, physically speaking.

I don't know if the lack of noise exacerbates the forces, but I have rode in cars that accelerate more forcefully than even the P85D. A torque junky, I am, and I have never had these symptoms.

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Hasn't happened to me, Denise, or any passengers in 65K miles.

19. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

If it because of acceleration, the effects of 1.1G (launch) you are experiencing the normal results. After our initial test drive (a few launches) I was feeling sick. I commented to one of the twenty-somethings back at the showroom about the motion sickness and probably my age. He smiled and said that everyone gets sick it just depends on the number and frequency of launches. Google the effects of 1+ G on a human. After a few times of launching our P90DL I would rather have a few more miles of range vs the 2.8 sec launch. 3.1 is plenty fast.
    Turning on the rearview camera while going forward is not fun either.

20. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

My son who never complained of how I drive in my Infiniti M35, got nauseated pretty much right away in the front passenger seat. The feeling went stayed regardless of how good I did with 1 pedal driving. Once I turned off Standard Regenerative Braking and switch to Low, he's ok now.