Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DJI Phantom 4 Active Track Tesla Demo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the money, maybe just go with the Standard. It's such a huge step up from the Syma X5C that you'll be amazed.

I just bought a Phantom 3 Professional. I was able to pick it up for $699 from Microcenter. I also picked up a hardshell backpack and a set of propeller guards. I am planning to get a second battery when I can find a deal on it. Any other accessories that you would recommend for it? Thanks!

Reactions: benjiejr
I just bought a Phantom 3 Professional. I was able to pick it up for $699 from Microcenter. I also picked up a hardshell backpack and a set of propeller guards. I am planning to get a second battery when I can find a deal on it. Any other accessories that you would recommend for it? Thanks!

Honestly, that's about all you need. I would get a couple extra batteries at some point. I've had the prop guards before and next used them because I would have to take the off to put in my case. If your case allows them to stay on then that's nice.

Honestly, that's about all you need. I would get a couple extra batteries at some point. I've had the prop guards before and next used them because I would have to take the off to put in my case. If your case allows them to stay on then that's nice.

I've heard that the propeller guards rarely get used too. Should I just return them and get something else like spare propellers or any other accessories? Thanks!

I briefly had the 3 Pro, but after the 4 came out I upgraded to that. Since then it's been weirdly windy around my way, so I've not had much of a chance to really use it. To those worried about crashing $1K+ of hardware on the first few flights, I was too, but at least DJI offer coverage for that now, so it's less of a worry. After a near-miss with my 3 Pro, I took out the coverage for the 4.

$279 for 1 year coverage for my DJI Phantom Pro.. so it's worth it? What should I watch for as a first time Phantom drone flyer to help to avoid these accidents?

I've heard that the propeller guards rarely get used too. Should I just return them and get something else like spare propellers or any other accessories? Thanks!

Yeah, maybe so. You get a spare set of props and that should last you quite a while too. Or just save up for the extra battery - that's the most important to me. If you don't have a sun shield for your iPad (or whatever), I also find that quite helpful when flying in the sun.

$279 for 1 year coverage for my DJI Phantom Pro.. so it's worth it? What should I watch for as a first time Phantom drone flyer to help to avoid these accidents?
Well, I think it's worth it. In the ~10hrs of flying the 3, I had one fairly serious crash; nothing was broken (aside from my pride, and the props), but at that point I realized how gutted I'd be if it was broken, and I had no coverage. That situation was just flying a little too close to a building, the wind caught it and pushed it into the building before I could react. Then it hit the ground props first, and of course in the middle of that panic I didn't kill the prop rotation fast enough, thus ensuring all of them were broken while trying to stir up the mud they were face-down in. Of course I should have started with a 'throw away' drone, but that's not really my style, and it sounds like it's not yours, so with all that in mind, yes, I'd pay for coverage, at least for your first training year :)

Here's a Tesla-related video... I used the DJI Phantom 4 Active Track functionality to follow the Tesla...

On a side note to the mods or anyone that might know, I tried to create a new post in the "Videos" section, but it says I have insufficient privileges to do so. I've made several posts there before, even since the move to the new forum design. Not sure why it gives me that message so I've posted here instead. Mods are welcome to move.

I had the same problem today, not having sufficient privileges to post...

as I found a beautiful video from a guy named Andy who lives in the north-east of Germany.
He drives an Audi and rented a Tesla a couple of days.
Now he has the same problem as all of us, after driving Tesla for the first time: making a plan to save up money for your own Tesla. Asap!

Maybe you like to see his beautiful (green) video

Yeah, maybe so. You get a spare set of props and that should last you quite a while too. Or just save up for the extra battery - that's the most important to me. If you don't have a sun shield for your iPad (or whatever), I also find that quite helpful when flying in the sun.
I fly with removable prop guards. Removable makes it easy to put the bird back into its pelican case. The guards can show up in videos, but if you are gentle with acceleration - no problem. If its for your own giggles, then leave them on. every time I fly without guards, I don't land flat and chip up my props. Took a few times for me to learn that lesson. I alway have spare prop/spare battery. A quick crash can cost the entire trip without backups.