Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dl_w126 error code/power reduced /DU replacement under 8 year warranty/charged for High Voltage cable = ok?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

After getting the error code while driving on the highway and being told I could keep driving until an appointment slot opens (15 days), the drive unit died on us about a week before the appointment. Got the car towed and a new drive unit was installed. The only charge we have to pay for is the
ASY,HV
COVER,INVERTER(1003783-
00-B)

for 540$ canadian.

Is everybody out of 48/80000km warranty paying for that High Voltage cables when replacing their DU? I'm asking as I thought all parts would be covered.

thanks

p.s. we got the Q revision same that was replaced in 2014

ASY,PTRAIN,
RMN,MDLS,BASE,CMC,HS,FA2+
(1025276-00-Q)

for reference purpuse we have 215,000 km on the car. Just another reference, we are very please with our service center. Last time we needed service was for a coolant leakage and I'm not kidding you, I was on the highway and when the code appeared, I booked an appointment and all was fixed in the following hours and I could drive back home on the same day. I was really impressed. A third reference (!!!) was told that if I wanted a Tesla as a replacement car, it would be 100$ per day if the repair was not under warranty but Enterprise would be free (gas).

The only charge we have to pay for is the
ASY,HV
COVER,INVERTER(1003783-
00-B)

for 540$ canadian.

Is everybody out of 48/80000km warranty paying for that High Voltage cables when replacing their DU? I'm asking as I thought all parts would be covered.

HV cables probably wouldn't be covered under the drive unit warranty. But that part appears to be a cover for the inverter which seems to be part of the drive unit, so I wouldn't think you would need to pay for that. (Unless it was damaged by hitting some debris on the road or something else that would preclude warranty coverage.)

Edit: It looks like a small part that shouldn't cost anywhere near $540:
1618957942818.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up! Indeed, I went with what I was told on the phone : "the HV cables wrapping over time dry-up and are not reusable" but you are right that it is not the same I was charged for. I'll inquire about it.

As far as having to change the drive unit once more, I'm curious as to what is causing the replacement as no special sound forewarned us. The only issue I kept mentioning (3 different times since last september but never acknowledged on the work orders, a practice I hate about Tesla) was that there was sort of a lag at low speed (like if there was as gap between acceleration and deceleration) like was the case in 2014 but on that occasion, there was a milling noise to repair as well.

This car is not abused and 100% original i.e. no modifications whatsoever. Any ideas?

Actually, in french the part is the one I posted whereas in English, it is

Part
Quantité Prix unitaire
Prix Ajustement
540.00 0.00
Total
ASY,HV HARN,DRV INV TO 1.00 HVJB,MDLS,GEN2(1022562-
00-C)

they invoice in both French and English in Québec.

I just got this error and the reduced performance wouldn’t outrun a Zamboni. :confused:
luckily I have an appointment with the local service for Monday morning.
Getting the car to the service centre in peak hour traffic should be interesting.
Then there’s the small matter that it happened whilst away an a long weekend and I am 160Km from home.
Wish me luck.

Reactions: rickyjb