Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do 20" wheels have aftermarket value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered a MY LR with the 19" wheels. Was shocked to get an estimated delivery date a year out (October 2022)-- a couple weeks ago (pre-Hertz) it was April. . Our sales guy says that if I order 20" wheels instead they are "promising" June. Can I recover any significant fraction of the 20" wheel price by immediately selling them as nearly new and replacing them with 19"? I would strongly prefer ending up with the 19" wheels, but would consider such a swap if it weren't too pricy and could really buy me delivery four months earlier. I don't want to end up driving on the skinny tires though. (Been there, done that, hated it with other vehicles)

OTOH, with the bouncing and inexplicable delivery dates, is this just a fool's errand? (This is what I'm tending to think)

I'm pretty sure that there is no worldwide shortage of 19" wheels and tires, and this is just a slightly less transparent way of getting people to pay for an earlier delivery date that may or may not materialize. (A fully transparent way would be, for example, to auction off positions in line.) Some bean counter could easily change their mind in the next 8 months and the strategy would be for naught.

There are folks on the forum who will gladly trade their Geminis + cash for your 20's which would allow you to recoup a portion of the $2k. For comparison sake, the 21" Uberturbines are exchanging hands for $2500 to $3000 range w/o exchange depending on condition and where you are in the country.

There are folks on the forum who will gladly trade their Geminis + cash for your 20's which would allow you to recoup a portion of the $2k. For comparison sake, the 21" Uberturbines are exchanging hands for $2500 to $3000 range w/o exchange depending on condition and where you are in the country.
I'm one of these people. I'm not sure what the going rate is but I'm definitely looking to swap out my Geminis for something when I take delivery early next year.