Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do 2021 MY'S have the same crappy hitch cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As my August 2020 build? Honestly, whoever designed that piece needs to not have a job at Tesla. I just got a new bike rack and started using the hitch. I've watched every video of how to remove it and still mangled it. Really can't fathom how it passed the design review process.

Reactions: profdustin
There is a revised part number but I believe it's not a big improvement. According to Tesla it's designed to break and be left off. At least that's what they've told a few people that I've seen take it in to get addressed.

Essentially it's "Within spec"

Ya’ll need a $5 set of plastic trim tools. I use the hitch cover at least once a week for my bike rack and it doesn’t take more than a few seconds to remove or replace. Work a thin trim tool in at the top to pop the left and right sides, then pull the cover straight back to remove. To reinstall just make sure the tabs are lined up and give it a bop.

Reactions: suprax
yes they do... and the Rear looks like garbage with it off for a ball mount in there lol. Just tried mine first time this weekend, but squashed the plan. TO test out the car towing range, I took the ball mount from the Nissan, and was gonna flip it so height was right for boat trailer tongue. But, it was late, the nut was frozen on and just felt sketchy to be putting that much effort into something brand new. lol :) I was only using it for a test but still...

sorry for piggy back question.... but Im curious which ball mounts did you guys use?

I struggled with this for some time given I hook up and dismount a bike rack at least twice a week. Tried several solutions but this is my latest. Easy on and easy off!

Attachments

• BC376DA3-49FA-4D3F-8D04-9AE4CCFED6A6.jpeg
    BC376DA3-49FA-4D3F-8D04-9AE4CCFED6A6.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 877
  • Disagree
Reactions: brinox
Found this on Amazon. Looks like a good solution... I'm gonna give it a try and report back.

Model Y Hitch Cover
I got that one and it's a huge improvement. Some people have complained about the hole (appearances).

My experience with the original. Even with cutting off most of the clips I struggled with it enough that I just left it off most of the time.

I had also bought a new OEM cover. When mobile delivered it on 1-Jul, the cover had the same part number and same clips. It is still in the bag.

That one from amazon requires a decent jerk/pull but comes right off. It is good enough that I put it on as soon as I take the bike rack off. And I don't leave the rack on unless I'm sure to use it on consecutive days. I'm really paranoid about hitting the screen trunk by accident and have the trunk bash the bike rack.

I am a little concerned about water through the hole. I poured water in to the large opening area and it drained out maybe two feet from the rear of the car. So there is drainage. But that hole in the cover opens to a square piece that fits in to the receiver. I'm a little concerned that if water does get in it will sit in the receiver and rust. I plan to drill a hold in the bottom of the cover for drainage.

Overall I'm happy with that cover.

There is a revised part number but I believe it's not a big improvement. According to Tesla it's designed to break and be left off. At least that's what they've told a few people that I've seen take it in to get addressed.

Essentially it's "Within spec"
The one they brought me on 1-Jul is the same as my original. Part number was still the -A suffix

The one they brought me on 1-Jul is the same as my original. Part number was still the -A suffix
I just looked it up in the EPC and yeah. It's showing the Rev A part still. 1494009-00-A

I couldn't remember where I saw mentions of the revised part but then I went looking. I found one YouTube video where someone discusses it and he says he received a Rev C part.

Start at the 6 minute mark.

This is the easiest and best solution.
I did that and still had trouble prying it off. Also mangled some of the remain clips putting it on although I guess that's my fault for not being careful enough lining up clips. The amazon one is much easier. Line it up in the receiver and push it in. Taking it off requires a bit of tug with your finger but easy enough. For me, the Amazon one was with $40 less frustration.

Like all of you, I found taking the cover off my June 2021 build MY tricky, however I was able to get it off and barely avoid scratching up the surrounding bumper trim. Since then I've left it off as I use my bike rack about once a week during the Spring-Fall months, and then as I've done with my previous cars, I'll put the hitch cover back on for Winter. Personally it's not worth the time to remove and replace it on a constant basis, and I honestly don't think it looks too bad with it left off.

Reactions: Gadget63
Found this on Amazon. Looks like a good solution... I'm gonna give it a try and report back.

Model Y Hitch Cover
I purchased this cover as well and it looks OEM with only a small hole for one's finger to easily remove it. 100% better than prying the original cover. What was Tesla thinking when they designed the original cover that it nearly impossible to remove or scratch the surrounding plastic...

I purchased this cover as well and it looks OEM with only a small hole for one's finger to easily remove it. 100% better than prying the original cover. What was Tesla thinking when they designed the original cover that it nearly impossible to remove or scratch the surrounding plastic...
They could have made it almost completely like the OEM if they had made the hole have a spring loaded cover. I suppose you'd still be able to see a ring but probably not noticeable at all. I'm now putting the cover back on every time I take the bike rack off. Just put the rack on a couple hours ago. The new cover requires a good tug but orders of magnitude better than the Tesla one.

Reactions: KurtSanders
I bought a pair of 3D-printed EveryAmp (same folks who make the SnapPlate license plate holder) removal tools, and they work great. Practice with one for a bit and you can get the cover off in about 8 seconds.

Still a bad design, but not a quality of life issue relative to the much harder task of getting the bike rack mounted and loaded.

I did buy those tools. I think the same ones but they were called LivingTesla at that time? They did help but I never got the hang of doing with without significant pain even with clipping some of the clips off. The amazon cover is so much easier. Literally hook your finger in the hold and pull.