TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do all 2016-2017 Model X have the capability to add the Accessory Hitch if it doesnt have Tow Packag

Discussion in 'Model X' started by shadowinstallz, Jan 27, 2019.

1. shadowinstallz

Do all 2016-2017 Model X have the capability to add the Accessory Hitch if it doesnt have Tow Package? Havent really found a yes or no answer, seems very confusing. Looking to get into a 2016 model x possibly, but i dont care if it has towing package, but i need the accessory hitch. any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tress

Tress Member

No early models did not have the right bumper setup and it needs to be swapped, it is possible but the tow package has been out of stock for over a year.

Model X Tow Package

3. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

If you really need the accessory hitch, you would be advised to buy one with it already installed.

Accessory hitch installation is a bit of a grey area, and ability to get them installed has been fluid.

If you really want to know, you would need to contact your local service center with the serial # of the Tesla in question and ask specifically about that case.

They used to do it, then stopped. Some Xs came with them installed, but the owner may not be aware. You would need to take the vanity cover off and take a look to be sure.

My 17 was ordered without the hitch, but it came with the car anyways. The tow software was not energized, and they told me it could not be retrofitted, but some months later the policy changed and they installed the software at no charge.

Some Xs were supposed to come with the smaller light weight accessory hitch, designed for light weight trailers (dirt bikes/jet skis) or bike carriers, but they upgraded all those to the full sized 2" hitches.

Lots of liability with trailer hitches. You will be lucky if you can get Tesla to bolt on something after original manufacture.

4. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

That's not true at all.

This is correct. There's no such thing as an "accessory hitch" in terms of hardware. When the car went into production, it either did not come with a hitch or if it did; it came with the full tow hitch. The difference between a tow package and an accessory package is software only - which does matter. The hardware is identical. If you have a car that has an "accessory hitch" you can upgrade the software for $750 through Tesla or if you're lucky; get it goodwilled for free.

5. Tress

Tress Member

Yinn, are you saying the Tow Package is in stock? As far as I know it has shown out of stock for long over a year

6. alkfung

alkfung Member

I'm having my tow package installed after a year it was on my DUE BILL, seriously.... at the Burlingame CA SC. I have a 2017 Model X 100D. I would suggest calling your local SC and asking if they have it in stock. I swung by the SC for my annual service and asked about it, when they checked said it was in stock with parts. So I wouldn't rely on the website to update but give your local SC a quick call to check in.