TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Do cars come out from the factory in order based on their VIN?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by xsi123, Nov 18, 2016.

1. xsi123

xsi123 Member

So the question is: will car with VIN xxx170002 produce right after car with VIN xxx170001?

Probably not, but maybe someone knows for sure.

2. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Nope. Cars come off the line based on availability of components, order scheduling (cars to be delivered further from the factory tend to get made earlier in the quarter), and a number of other factors. There's quite a lot of discussion of this on the forums.

For more information there's an order tracking spreadsheet here, data provided by TMC members:

http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XZiDkogRyBqHMEnlWJT4HA8BKxYjR5J-z5TPikra8gQ/edit#gid=456592867

Bruce.

3. schtig

schtig Member

@bmah: does a similar Doc exist for Model X?

4. xsi123

xsi123 Member

Hmmm ... I find it strange that my car got a VIN earlier from someone else (based on the spreadsheet) but my estimated delivery is later.

My configuration is pretty standard so it is not like they are out of components.

One thing I can think of is that mine will be a lease. Maybe they fill the cash orders sooner in order to get the money sooner (?). In the spreadsheet there is no column for Payment method: Cash/Loan/Lease/Other. Maybe that would help to determine that theory.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Extremely unlikely. Cars are not built in strict VIN order.

• Like x 1
  6. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I'm not sure, or rather I think a similar collection of information exists but I don't know if it's a GooSheet or something else. You might go poke around on the analogous forum over on the Model X section of TMC.

Bruce.

7. Watts Son

Watts Son Member

I'm now seeing VIN's higher than mine being offered as inventory cars and mine hasn't even entered production yet. I'm sure it's because I asked for a 2017 and all they did was slap an "H" into the VIN, but still....