Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do cars with dual chargers have stiffer or deeper regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Just wondering if the on-board chargers affect driving dynamics at all?

I've got dual chargers and I know they're both working on the wall charger (80A throughput from HPWC, and J1772 stations..).

Just wondering if these chargers come into play on the regen side when slowing down, or if they're bypassed and recovered kinetic energy finds its way back to the battery along some other route? Maybe directly form the inverter to battery pack.

Does everybody's regen scale go to 60kW at the deepest level? Or just those cars with dual chargers go that deep with single charger cars stopping at 40kW?

Dual chargers not dual motors. I have one motor in my S, twin chargers.

But you raise a good, similar, question about the possibility of dual motor cars having stronger regen. Intuitively, it would seem so, as the inverse of forward thrust could be captured better with two motors-come-generators working on it.

Dual chargers not dual motors. I have one motor in my S, twin chargers.

But you raise a good, similar, question about the possibility of dual motor cars having stronger regen. Intuitively, it would seem so, as the inverse of forward thrust could be captured better with two motors-come-generators working on it.
It seems that stronger regeneration might be possible through a P85D firmware update.