Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do custom orders get delivered on time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to take delivery in December which means I need to place my order in the next few weeks.

Are estimated deliveries generally on time?

For tax purposes I have to take delivery this calendar year and I want to make sure I actually get it in December.

Thanks!

Being in California with an easy delivery process, provided you order in the next few weeks, Tesla will do everything in it's power to get you the car by the end of the year. I would not expect it to be a problem provided you give at least 8 weeks lead time.

It really depends. I literally live 3 miles away from the factory, and my delivery slipped 3 or so weeks beyond the original ETA. My friend lives in San Jose and his Tesla slipped about 2-3 weeks because it "failed QC" at the end and ended up being remanufactured.

If you really must have the car by a certain date, IMO I'd order with at least a 2 week margin.

Mine was originally about a six weeks order (August 6 to September 13, so under 6!). I delayed it a week because of vacation plans and now it's caught in the weather-related freight backlog in the southeast. But I would say 8 weeks would normally be fine. To the west coast, definitely. But it does depend on what part of the quarter you are in. Worst case, by EOQ for sure if you order in the earlier part. Does that help? Maybe? :D

ordering it sooner is always better... as you will be higher in the list to be produced, then you can postpone if needed, but also remember cars are produced in batches, and that is that causes the delays... ( like cars are produced at the same time)

don't forget to use a referral code

Not sure of this helps you. Here is my situation.

I ordered at the beginning of the month.

Set trade in for mid Sept. Then requested delivery in mid December. Was informed this was only possible with a custom order.

About sept 10th was informed that they are not supposed to delay delivery any more. The contact at tesla, was not aware of this when he said it was possible. He would make it work, at least one last time. Good reason to have things in email.

They picked up my trade in, then a few days ago they had to reorder the car, because they could not change the delivery for mid Dec.
He said it was common to do a reorder.

Although my situation might be out of the ordinary to have the trade in so much in advance of the delivery.

Just sounds like the days or custom delivery dates are the thing of the past.

No surprise seeing how they will hopfully soon double the amount of deliveries.

Not sure of this helps you. Here is my situation.

I ordered at the beginning of the month.

Set trade in for mid Sept. Then requested delivery in mid December. Was informed this was only possible with a custom order.

About sept 10th was informed that they are not supposed to delay delivery any more. The contact at tesla, was not aware of this when he said it was possible. He would make it work, at least one last time. Good reason to have things in email.

They picked up my trade in, then a few days ago they had to reorder the car, because they could not change the delivery for mid Dec.
He said it was common to do a reorder.

Although my situation might be out of the ordinary to have the trade in so much in advance of the delivery.

Just sounds like the days or custom delivery dates are the thing of the past.

No surprise seeing how they will hopfully soon double the amount of deliveries.
Do you mean delay as in ‘change the order date you set originally’ or in ‘set a future delivery in the first place’? There was always the drop down for setting a future delivery, but that seems to be now behind the paywall of paying the deposit!

Do you mean delay as in ‘change the order date you set originally’ or in ‘set a future delivery in the first place’? There was always the drop down for setting a future delivery, but that seems to be now behind the paywall of paying the deposit!

I may have missed the drop down. Must admit that I did not look too closely, even missed the referral, had to have him add it afterwards.

I had asked the rep before even placing the order. That is when I was told this was possible. So never changed any delivery drop down, guessing if it was there, it was set to as soon as possible.

I may have missed the drop down. Must admit that I did not look too closely, even missed the referral, had to have him add it afterwards.

I had asked the rep before even placing the order. That is when I was told this was possible. So never changed any delivery drop down, guessing if it was there, it was set to as soon as possible.
Right, it defaults to 'ASAP'. When I ordered (early August), it had 'ASAP', September, October, November, December.

I don't know if it usually has now through next quarter, or what.....

And, BTW, the best way to do a referral is to click on the ts.la link. That puts you in the Design Studio with the referral in place (it shows $1000 USD off and the free supercharging included) and you enter your order from there. I don't think there's a way for us to actually enter a referral. Your DS or OA can add one afterwards, but sometimes it takes a while to 'take'.