Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do dealership reps know much about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are car dealerships in the UK usually a good source of information on Electric Vehicles? I'm looking for a single knowledge source for various pieces of information including:
  • Functionality + costs of EVs
  • Maintenance and good practice ownership
  • Government subsidies and programs for EVs
  • EV-specific rules/laws
  • EV infrastructure i.e. charging, road etc.
  • Environmental impact
How much of this would the dealerships know and does this vary depending on the dealership/manufacturer?

In my limited experience it’s a very mixed bag. Some employees at dealerships are very well informed and clearly very enthusiastic. Others are woefully ignorant.

It’s pretty much the same at Tesla. This forum is full of instances when people have been given completely duff information by Tesla employees. Before I bought my car in 2019 I was categorically assured that the M3 had matrix headlights. Bollocks!

I think the problem you will have is dealers have a motive, they want to sell their vehicles. Throughout my search I watched hours of YouTube videos, and still do.
One channel I like and keep referring back to is https://www.youtube.com/c/ElectricVehicleMan
I have no links to the channel but he has been driving electric vehicles for a number of years and posts videos of the cars, costs, infrastructure and solar etc.
He also discusses and breaks down a lot of the myths surrounding electric vehicles.

Last edited:
I think it’s unlikely that you will find a single source of knowledge as the range of information you are looking for is very broad.

Consider however that it can be fun to research and pull together information from different sources. Often I find other interesting avenues of information to seek, something which would probably not have happened if there was a single source of information.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I think Milton Keynes has an EV experience centre which a lot of brands participate in, it might be worth a visit or checking if there is one local to you.

But otherwise, it’s a complete mixed bag as others have said and it depends on the individual you speak to in the respective dealerships. Otherwise, get on YouTube and seek out some of the less mainstream channels that go more in-depth.

Dealerships make most money on servicing. EVs shouldn't need much servicing unless the maker wants to keep dealers happy.

The odd dealer might be useful, but I wouldn't even consider them for advice myself. Their incentives are against EVs (in general)

First - how do you use your car? Do you have a way of charging at home or work?

Better sources of info:-

1. This forum
  2. SpeakEv (UK forum)
  3. Fully charged, especially beginners' guides -
  4. EV dealer - https://www.youtube.com/c/RSymonsLtd
  5. Carwow - buying one for Mum
  6. EV dealer/fixer - https://www.youtube.com/c/GoGreenAutos/playlists
  7. Model 3 maintenance (out of warranty) $400 / $800 for c 75k miles -
  8. EV James & Kate - old(?) Tesla service -
    - a whole week of fixing EVs (mobile tech) -
  9. EVs tested in Norway, long term/high mileage use. NB. Norway is cold - so worst bit sof EV driving covered - https://www.youtube.com/user/bjornnyland/playlists
  10. EV database - car specific & cheatsheets - EV Database
  11. Explore your worst likely journeys - pick different cars & compare Tesla vs others - ABRP - do return jouneys so you see alternative EV chargers
    1. TM3LR - A Better Routeplanner - LandsEnd>John O'Groats>Land's End - 1686 miles, 27.5 hours driving, 3 hours charging, 9 stops there & back (and you'd have to stop anyway) - also £105 in charging
    2. KIA EV6 Long Range, but RWD (best range) - A Better Routeplanner - bit longer to drive, 5 hours charging
    3. more... just change vehicle
  12. Loads more, but not in mainstream media as Tesla etc don't pay for advertising, every EV imported is sold, waiting lists. Best bet is to test drive/order a Tesla & then by the time it eventually appears you'll know everything. Worst case, you lose £100 deposit.

• Functionality + costs of EVs - fantastic - winter, pre-heated, defrosted, ready to go, neighbours scraping. Return journey, use phone to do the same.
  • Maintenance and good practice ownership - on most, keep battery 30-80% long term, but Tesla 3 SR+ (or just TM3 now), use as you wish, keep at 100% if you want. Depending on mileage refill every 1-2 weeks or top up as you go about normal life (graze). What maintenance? Oh, washer fluid.
  • Government subsidies and programs for EVs, I think charger might still have a grant, maybe cheaper EVs. Business / company car - fantastic, low Benefit In Kind, 100% First Year Allowance, salary sacrifice (gross, not net pay, save tax for business & employee, keep under tax, child benefit limits)
  • EV-specific rules/laws - try to be nice at chargers, don't park / block / over-charge - some people may need charge/travel more.
  • EV infrastructure i.e. charging, road etc. Tesla best, rarely used others, getting better. Slow chargers like pod-point at holiday camps, supermarkets, sometimes free, sometimes time-limited.
  • Environmental impact - much better. Loads of lying hit pieces - but look at info from people like @AukeHoekstra on twitter eg
  • Consider upcoming clean air zones
Lastly, if you're not sure, order a Tesla Model 3 (£100 quid down) anyway.

Last edited:
I think the problem you will have is dealers have a motive, they want to sell their vehicles.
I think it may be worse than that even. Margins on EV's are often low and future profit from maintenance and warrantee work is also likely to be low. So there are many reports, mostly from the US but I bet it happens here as well, of people being steered away from EV's altogether towards ICE vehicles by salesmen in dealerships there is more money in it for them.

Are car dealerships in the UK usually a good source of information on Electric Vehicles? I'm looking for a single knowledge source for various pieces of information including:
  • Functionality + costs of EVs
  • Maintenance and good practice ownership
  • Government subsidies and programs for EVs
  • EV-specific rules/laws
  • EV infrastructure i.e. charging, road etc.
  • Environmental impact
How much of this would the dealerships know and does this vary depending on the dealership/manufacturer?
Most Dealerships are pretty ignorant about EV's and there is a lot of misinformation around. Which did a Mystery Shopper Survey of VW Dealerships in Germany and most Salespeople actively steered Customers away from their iD3 EV despite the Which People presenting an EV Friendly Profile.

This Forum is an excellent source of Information on EV's allbeit very Tesla focussed, spend some time on here and you will be better informed.

Dealerships make most money on servicing. EVs shouldn't need much servicing unless the maker wants to keep dealers happy.

The odd dealer might be useful, but I wouldn't even consider them for advice myself. Their incentives are against EVs (in general)

1. This forum
  2. SpeakEv (UK forum)
  9. EVs tested in Norway, long term/high mileage use. NB. Norway is cold - so worst bit sof EV driving covered - https://www.youtube.com/user/bjornnyland/playlists
  11. Explore your worst likely journeys - pick different cars & compare Tesla vs others - ABRP - do return jouneys so you see alternative EV chargers
    1. TM3LR - A Better Routeplanner
    2. KIA EV6 Long Range, but RWD (best range) - A Better Routeplanner
  12. Loads more, but not in mainstream media as Tesla etc don't pay for advertising, every EV imported is sold, waiting lists. Best bet is to test drive/order a Tesla & then by the time it eventually appears you'll know everything. Worst case, you lose £100 deposit.

• Functionality + costs of EVs - fantastic - winter, pre-heated, defrosted, ready to go, neighbours scraping. Return journey, use phone to do the same.
  • Maintenance and good practice ownership - on most, keep battery 30-80% long term, but Tesla 3 SR+ (or just TM3 now), use as you wish, keep at 100% if you want. Depending on mileage refill every 1-2 weeks or top up as you go about normal life (graze). What maintenance? Oh, washer fluid.
  • Government subsidies and programs for EVs, I think charger might still have a grant, maybe cheaper EVs. Business / company car - fantastic, low Benefit In Kind, 100% First Year Allowance, salary sacrifice (gross, not net pay, save tax for business & employee, keep under tax, child benefit limits)
  • EV-specific rules/laws - try to be nice at chargers, don't park / block / over-charge - some people may need charge/travel more.
  • EV infrastructure i.e. charging, road etc. Tesla best, rarely used others, getting better. Slow chargers like pod-point at holiday camps, supermarkets, sometimes free, sometimes time-limited.
  • Environmental impact - much better. Loads of lying hit pieces - but look at info from people like @AukeHoekstra on twitter eg
  • Consider upcoming clean air zones
just don't read the papers. their stories are almost universally rubbish. Latest one this idiot:
almost managed to run out of charge on the motorway in a Model 3 she had for a week. I could forgive her if it was another EV but with the SuC network you have to be really trying. Research is a basic skill in that profession so why do so many journalists decide to try out an EV with zero knowledge beforehand. Its almost like it makes a better story." I drove a model 3 for a week and it was fine" is not going to get many clicks I guess

1. This forum
  2. SpeakEv (UK forum)
    1. TM3LR - A Better Routeplanner - 27.5 hours driving, 3 hours charging (and you'd have to stop anyway)
    2. KIA EV6 Long Range, but RWD (best range) - A Better Routeplanner - bit longer to drive, 5 hours charging

Thats a good list although I've found fully charged is increasingly off the money to the point I rarely review. They're a bit too political

EV Database is often wrong for UK cars. Our spec is rarely the same as the European cars as we tend to get different batteries

I'd also add tesla-info.com for a lot of tesla info (hence the name) but also decent guides explaining charging and abbreviations etc, Speakev and TMC have a lot of rambling threads discussing stuff whereas they tidy it up into consolidated articles. I read the people who started it wanted to strike the middle ground between fanboyism and anti EVs so they call a spade a spade. Richard Symons also seems to have based his buyers guides on their content.

• Informative
Just to mention as this is a Tesla forum, there aren't any dealers for Tesla. Tesla sell direct, all of the showrooms are staffed by Tesla employees, when you order you do that on Tesla's website. As such it kind of makes no difference between which you go to.

As per the other people's comments the staff are reasonably good, but you are trying to ask reasonably detailed questions it would perhaps be better to search in this forum if you want a collection of views from Tesla Owners. Experience with other dealers has been that they were not very knowledgeable about EVs, or ICE cars.

Jason71, I thought it funny when you had a dig at a stupid journalist (complete with link).

When I read the OP’s post I thought it set out a full run of questions that a journalist would ask if they wanted someone to do all the research and provide the answers in a plate that they can pick through.

I may be doing the OP a disservice but I suspect that some of those questions would never occur to a prospective purchaser. Anybody thinking of buying one, or having one forced on them as a company car, normally only wants to know if it will do the job, how do you make it work, and are there any showstoppers.

Since you can find that out by a few hours of youtube research - and the OP has been pointed to some very good sites, and I concur that EV Man gives a good and well rounded view, it will be interesting to hear back from the OP.

Jason71, I thought it funny when you had a dig at a stupid journalist (complete with link).

When I read the OP’s post I thought it set out a full run of questions that a journalist would ask if they wanted someone to do all the research and provide the answers in a plate that they can pick through.

I may be doing the OP a disservice but I suspect that some of those questions would never occur to a prospective purchaser. Anybody thinking of buying one, or having one forced on them as a company car, normally only wants to know if it will do the job, how do you make it work, and are there any showstoppers.

Since you can find that out by a few hours of youtube research - and the OP has been pointed to some very good sites, and I concur that EV Man gives a good and well rounded view, it will be interesting to hear back from the OP.
EV Man, good suggestion if you like sarky angry Scotland-touring Yorkshiremen with a regular rant on charging networks. Who wouldn't?

There must be a sticky somewhere of useful beginner help videos/links? If not, search might find these posts useful.

As per the other people's comments the staff are reasonably good, but you are trying to ask reasonably detailed questions it would perhaps be better to search in this forum if you want a collection of views from Tesla Owners. Experience with other dealers has been that they were not very knowledgeable about EVs, or ICE cars.
Its disappointing that asking detailed questions is better on the internet with a lot of mixed opinions and guess work is better than asking a employee of the company in the sales centres/show rooms. Its one I agree with but its just wrong that its the case. Tesla should train their staff better.

Tesla even get the owners group to help with handovers - as if Tesla can't afford staff.

Its disappointing that asking detailed questions is better on the internet with a lot of mixed opinions and guess work is better than asking a employee of the company in the sales centres/show rooms. Its one I agree with but its just wrong that its the case. Tesla should train their staff better.

Tesla even get the owners group to help with handovers - as if Tesla can't afford staff.
I think if you were to ask about the functionality of the car you should get good answers from Tesla staff, but if you look at the OPs questions they are quite a bit broader than this, and also necessity venturing into opinions (Environmental Impact). I think any manufacturer would avoid giving official responses that they can't easily quantify. Being wrong could be costly.

I found that most dealerships had no idea about the EV they were selling. In most cases I knew more than them (even if I acted dumb) just from easy research and watching reviews on EVs. Hyundai were the worst funny enough. They had absolutely no idea how to use the car, I don't think there trained to sell them in all honesty. Most dealerships couldn't even use the infotainment system or functions for an EV.

Tesla were the best, the explained everything and answered most questions with information I hadn't heard about before.

Now if you can't sell your own cars, you have a problem with catching up with the best.