Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do destination chargers "phone home" usage statistics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charger can't report anything but the car can. Charge time, rate, voltage, etc. would all be possible.

Right, and it can report all of those stats about it associated with the GPS where it is, so they can identify which destination charger it is.

Along those lines, people might not have considered this, but I don’t think the Superchargers actually have their own internet connections, either. They may be relying on the cars’ communication as well. That’s my supposition, but it may be incorrect.

I seem to recall seeing mentions of Superchargers directly phoning home to headquarters. The connection would cost maybe $100 in hardware and $10/month, so it would be kind of odd not to have one given how that compares to the total costs of the facility, and the potential usefulness of getting diagnostics from them even when no cars are plugged in.

Good point. I bet the HPWC reports its serial number to the car which then passes the info to Tesla.

I don't think it can. AFAIK, the HPWC uses pure J1772 AC communication (but with a Tesla physical connector.) J1772 AC communication doesn't pass any digital data - everything is simple voltages on various pins except the amperage available, which is communicated by a square wave duty cycle.

With no way to talk digitally, it can't pass a serial number or anything else.

Of course, the car has high precision GPS and reports to the mothership continuously - so it knows what stall it parked in and how much power it charged with, and there's no reason Tesla couldn't filter and assemble the data from the car side.
Walter

- - - Updated - - -

I seem to recall seeing mentions of Superchargers directly phoning home to headquarters. The connection would cost maybe $100 in hardware and $10/month, so it would be kind of odd not to have one given how that compares to the total costs of the facility, and the potential usefulness of getting diagnostics from them even when no cars are plugged in.

Superchargers almost certainly are, and are in digital communication with the car for virtually the entire charging session. The HPWCs of the destination charging program that the OP asked about are a very different animal.