Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do electromagnetic fields cause long term damage to health by driving an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interesting that a new poster arrives - posts a question that can easily be answered using a search engine - I even sent instructions how that works.
Then his subsequent posts are complaining because nobody treats him seriously.

Community welcomes are usually reserved for folks who want to be part of the community rather than those who complain about it - just sayin' . . . . . .

Reactions: sduck
It's clear some clearly non-trolls are peeking out with concerns as well. I find this interesting and want to correct a few things.

Those who say it's safe because it's DC: No. I'm still not saying it's unsafe, but it's definitely not "just DC" and you're leaving a huge hole of fact in that statement, which isn't consoling at all.

For driving, AC waveforms are generated via the drive inverters from the DC battery pack. For charging, rectification is done which has its own ripple and isn't pure DC. For both cases, surely all the switching electronics to convert voltages are generating fields. These are all sources of EMF, despite the energy source itself being DC it can be used in many changing ways.

At rest, yes, a 400V DC pack isn't doing much of anything regarding EMFs. That's all chemical energy, nothing more.

And for all the "but you use cell/wifi/whatever", yepp. This is true. You're surrounded by fields. This isn't to say "you should worry about everything everywhere!", but to so say "well, it's already everywhere and we're pretty sure it's not doing anything bad despite being inundated with it every day for decades". You're not dumb for missing these details (despite the implications in other posts!), and there's a lot of misinformation out there on this topic due to anti-government/freedoms/conspiracies/whatever. We could also be entirely wrong and this is something to worry about, in which case yes, EVs are the least of our worries. Though the accusations were a bit strong, folks are correct in stating we have more concrete things to worry about like emissions which EVs are helping with.

Be gentle, folks.

One of the reasons I still come to this site, and check many of the threads, is that I learn something almost every single day. Even a thread like this one, in which I have my doubts about the OPs motivations for starting said thread, there are still some very educational responses in it, where I learned something I didnt know.

I feel like my original suspicions on the OP of this thread were shown to be likely true, but as you mention the topic itself is one some people have concern over, and I found some of the responses enlightening.

So, for those of you who took the time to respond with information even in the face of what appeared to be a bait leading post, I thank you, because I learned something.

Reactions: SageBrush
Regardless of the motivation for the OP, reading the thread suggests there is some ambiguity concerning electromagnetic radiation.
Without a certain degree of scientific literacy, it is quite normal for the void in understanding to be filled with suspicion or even fear. Asking a question most often implies recognition of ignorance, and a desire to learn more. Ignorance is a hole we are all climbing out of, and that never stops - unless you just decide to stop learning.

The photon is the carrier of electromagnetic radiation and the wavelength describes the energy of that quanta. Longer wavelength = lower energy, shorter wavelength = higher energy. The electromagnetic spectrum starts in the radio wavelength (long) and progresses up through microwaves, into the infrared, and then into visible light where we have the colors of the rainbow. the only tiny section of the electromagnetic spectrum our eyes can see. The higher you go the shorter the wavelength. Above that, we go into the ultraviolet up into Xrays and ending with gamma rays, the most powerful. Anything below the wavelength of ultraviolet doesn't possess enough energy to knock an electron off of an atom - ionizing it. In living tissue ionizing an atom in a molecule of DNA can result in a mutation - the root of cancer.
5G:rolleyes:, living under high power lines, our phones or our cars pose zero threat of ionizing radiation. Too low in wavelength (energy).

That is not to say all magnetism is harmless. Magnetism, like gravity, has an ugly side taken to an extreme. For example, a neutron star's magnetic field will shred ordinary matter. As in wavelength, it's the inherent energy that dictates the threat. Consider the tiny EMF generated by the battery or charging is nothing compared to the magnetic field all life has lived within riding this giant magnet we call Earth.

Of course, there's much more to human biology than DNA, Ionising radiation / EMF and cancer as discussed above.

How about the effects electromagnetic fields have on neurological function - the brain is essentially a massive array of electrical connections, we know that we can alter the function of the brain with focused / targeted EMFs (see brain-brain interfaces) so even though we have a pretty god idea that long term exposure to electromagnetic fields doesn't have a permanent effect, nobody really knows with 100% certainty what low-level neurological dysfunction may be occurring, or not, on a day-to-day basis.

Do you have the performance model? I hear hard acceleration pulls the hair from the scalp stretching it out ;-}
I only have a RWD so my hair hasn't improved.

Its AWD thanks for asking. I think the real difference is (and everyone knows this)
the electrons are larger in Europe. Watch out because some of the hair growth is
not always where you want it.

That may also may reason we get so many more KM to your miles.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: jjrandorin
I have no idea why it took so long for someone to ask this question. Thought of it ages ago and to be honest it almost made me get out my tin foil hat again. I would recommend the first page as it is full of fairly accurate info especially on the ability for such a magnetic field to effect cells. Well its all about the vibration and the heat generated. But personally myself I think long term exposure to low level electromagnetic fields are way more healthy than all the particulates from an ICE car. If we can get rid of break dust and tyre wear this is more of an issue as EV's create more of these in the tyre department. This coats everything in our environment on a large scale. This is the area of health to focus on. We need stronger tyres made out of non toxic bio degradable matter. Or common sense tyres that last the life of the car????...???.. bingo. *hangs up hat*

Ignoring the discussion of is EMF safe or not, there is a significant variance in EMF when it's supercharging and not supercharging.

I would personally not sit in the car during supercharging sessions. Even worse, keeping kids/pets in the back seat where EMF is the highest during supercharging (think exponential increase compared to the front seats).
You can’t ignore whether or not EMF is safe, that’s the entire point of the thread. That’s like saying “I’m worried that humans will melt if they get wet; ignoring whether or not that’s actually true, I certainly would never live in Seattle.”

Reactions: SageBrush
1 Post - Trying to stir up - Don't feed the troll.

I'm an electrical engineer with an emphasis on EMF as pertains to cancer. This EMF is non-ionizing. The sun is wickedly more dangerous. End of story
bullshit - you're just a paid shill working for Big Battery who's been sent here to mislead us on the dangers of EVs.

You can’t ignore whether or not EMF is safe, that’s the entire point of the thread. That’s like saying “I’m worried that humans will melt if they get wet; ignoring whether or not that’s actually true, I certainly would never live in Seattle.”

Anyone can make obscure examples to try to validate whatever they're trying to say. It's stupid.

Only presenting facts (what is up with people these days trying to argue everything?). The EMF discussion is scientifically inconclusive. The fact that there is a measurable EMF presence when supercharging is however easy to prove. The OP can make his own decision on how he wants to use the information. I'm also pretty sure it's scientifically proven that humans won't melt if they get wet (I'm assuming you meant water. Your example lacked a lot of detail). So your argument is invalid.

Agree. I also wouldn't want to live in Seattle. Glad I don't.

for those bottom readers :
1, Nurella is not a ray, or an atomic particle
2 Growing a third arm can help in hanging stuff
3. Model 3 grows balls
4. Hair growth can be good and bad, beard on the ass
5. Great folks trying to show us what EMF really is (thanks for the math)
6. supercharging is DC so no EMF
7. Blond girls love EMF and Tesla drivers
*. Larger member TBD
8. EMF is not dangerous unless near a black hole
9. damn hairlines expanding
10. Going back in time where cars were cool fast and o on