Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Extra Door and Boot Rubber Strips Work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I've walked away from my Model 3, I've had a feeling the door closing reminded me of something but just couldn't remember what. Yesterday, it came to me. 1973 Austin 1100. The noise the doors and especially the boot make when shutting them - exactly the same. Like thinly painted tin smashing together. I know people buy rubber strips for wind noise suppression (with varying results) but I wondered if they might help provide a more suitable 'thunk' for a £60k car.
Anyone tried them?

Very subjective but mine helped with road noise a little.
Had a full kit including frunk and trunk
Where did you get the frunk and trunk ones from?

I've been thinking about this recently. I don't have any obviously bad road noise, and my doors don't close with any particularly tinny noise, but at the same time whenever I've washed the car water does easily get all around the sills and up the pillars, etc. If I can prevent that (and crud) from getting that far, I'd be for it.

Reactions: M3noob
Every time I've walked away from my Model 3, I've had a feeling the door closing reminded me of something but just couldn't remember what. Yesterday, it came to me. 1973 Austin 1100. The noise the doors and especially the boot make when shutting them - exactly the same. Like thinly painted tin smashing together. I know people buy rubber strips for wind noise suppression (with varying results) but I wondered if they might help provide a more suitable 'thunk' for a £60k car.
Anyone tried them?
You are showing your age there. I always think 1980's Peugeot 205

I would still fit them but would avoid the boot one. We had problems with it closing properly. You had to give it a right thump and for those not familiar with the car, they would try and try again. Had it on months and it never bedded down properly so took it off.

Agree with the sound and particularly keeping sills clean comments above.

I used this one as well - everything was very well labeled & of equal quality to Basenor (probably the same Chinese product). It also includes Frunk/boot.

After watching online YouTube videos it was an easy install. The car didn't have any noticeable wind noise before but door closing now has a more pleasing/weightier 'thud' & the sills are clean even after heavy rain and spray.

1. For the boot, I didn't like the sharp twists so put a single cut length on the lid itself, the rest around the edge of the car opening as shown in pics 2&3 (7 cut pieces in all)

5CC2Lhj.jpg

2. Car/boot opening edges
YBXZsDi.jpg

3. Top arrow shows the bit hidden in the pic above (dotted arrow)
dVI08A7.jpg