Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do FSD cars have different hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "visualization" is one of the best features to me. You get to see all that is around and near you. If that becomes limited, your car is limited. FSD is still "want to be" software. It isn't even clear how insurers will deal with people who have problems with the "summon" feature - and hurt someone.

You can only currently get HW 3 by purchasing full self driving, that is, if you have HW2.5. I think its unlikely that your recently purchased Stealth performance has HW 2.5 so this is not something you likely need to concern yourself with. If it does, however, have HW2;5 the only current way to get HW 3.0 is to purchase FSD. IF you have HW2.5 (unlikely) and IF you wanted the new visualizations, THEN you would need to purchase FSD.... full stop. No amount of "I want HW3.0 without purchasing FSD" is likely to get tesla to change that position.

Like was said, likely nothing you have to worry about, but IF you (or anyone else) has HW2.5 and they want HW3.0 "eventually" the path forward is FSD, and that it... nothing else.

I would imagine that if you went into Tesla and ordered the 3.0 hardware and let them slide your credit card, they would probably sell it to you. I would think they would also be happy to install it for you if you let them slide your card again.

I'd actually be very, very surprised if they would do either.

Sometimes Tesla won't even sell you repair parts for things that actually came on the car you bought...(see the Rich Rebuilds stuff for example) and I've never, ever, heard of them doing any sort of upgrade of any kind other than one explicitly offered as one in general (like the Roadster battery upgrade program)

I would imagine that if you went into Tesla and ordered the 3.0 hardware and let them slide your credit card, they would probably sell it to you. I would think they would also be happy to install it for you if you let them slide your card again.

If by "slide your credit card" you mean " purchase FSD" then yeah they will let you slide your credit card to purchase HW3.0.. .then they will send you away until your vin comes up for the hardware update "later" whenever that is.

UPDATE: I am seeing various threads regarding the 264 vs 265 codec, and that after a specific software update everything is recording in 264 now (both 2.5 and 3.0). So, it would appear I do have HW3.0.

Hmm, I wonder if something changed regarding 2.5/3 and cone visualization. I just picked up an August build SR+ that originally had FSD on it. I had FSD removed when I purchased it. I assumed it had HW3.0, but when I checked the video file codec, it was H.264 so I believe that means it is HW2.5. That being said, I see cones, lots of lots of cones on the screen when driving through a construction zone at my wife's office.

Last edited:

I have no idea what the cost might be. If it were several thousand dollars, it might be worth the FSD investment which would include the free upgrade.

I'd bet big money that you cannot, unless that part number is titled FSD.

The "visualization" is one of the best features to me. You get to see all that is around and near you. If that becomes limited, your car is limited. FSD is still "want to be" software. It isn't even clear how insurers will deal with people who have problems with the "summon" feature - and hurt someone.

I guess I'm too old school. I rarely look at the screen; and by rarely, I mean almost never, altho the dancing cars were entertaining when I was stuck at a stoplight. I keep my eyes forward too much, and use the mirrors for stuff around me. And the last thing I would care about is cone visualization. If I'm driving thru traffic cones, I am only focused on the road and cones ahead, those that I can see thru the windshield.

fwiw: Very happy with EAP and did not purchase FSD.