TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do FWD's auto-close when driving (and what speed)?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by FlasherZ, Mar 1, 2016.

1. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Curious - there is a parade opportunity coming up for our Model X. Has anyone determined at what speed the Model X can be driven with the doors open, and whether the car attempts to automatically close them as with Model S's hatch?

2. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

I was at the reveal and they were dropping off people and then moving ahead to pick others up with the doors open.
    Also saw a video with one driving with them open

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Can i be the first to hit 60 with them open, or is the car limited in speed when they are open?

4. notAmeenPerson

I have always wanted to see the Model X beat a race car at the drag strip with both of its falcon wing doors up.

5. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

I wonder if the amount of G-force would break the wings/hinges when launching! Or if we see lift-off!?! :wink:

6. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Only one way to find out!

7. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

A parade will be slow, so you can probably do this; no way to know except to try it. You might also be able to force the doors to stay open by opening them an pulling the relevant fuse.

8. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

I tried driving with a FW door open in my driveway yesterday. You can do it but there is a constant reminder and chime on dash console and the tablet telling you it is open and needs to be closed.