Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I buy the Y or keep my S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This might sound a little crazy but I really love the heated steering wheel of my S. From what I read, this will not be available on the Y, which is a deal breaker for me. I also have the sunroof in my S, which I really like. The one thing is really hate about the S is fitting in my 2 young children in the back.

Reactions: IdaX
This is my response from a previous posting here a while back. Same subject. A 2017 MS is running MCU1, so that applies.

My two cents. From my signature you’ll see my conclusions. Here’s why.

Model S advantages
1. Premium car. It’s Tesla’s flagship. Feels and looks fantastic. Beautiful and appreciated by all car lovers. It’s special and will always be. Becoming an iconic legend. It speaks to everyone. Nothing like it.
2. Dual displays. The single display is a bit ahead of its time as it will be better suited for Level 3 and 4 autonomous driving. Put another way, current driving experience is definitely more suited for dual displays. The S and X definitely enjoy that and is preferred by myself hands down. I really love it.

Model S disadvantages
1. All top end luxury cars suffer from cost to value exponential curve.
2. MCU1 is lacking. Maybe a retrofit option will arrive, but will probably be at a premium price. I think too much risk for the return of value. YMMV
3. Long car. Going to be more difficult to park in the garage and in public parking areas. Also won’t have a tight turning radius. Noticeable in U-turn situations.
4. Low to the ground. After ripping off my front bumper when pulling away from my parking sport, I soon realized how low my Model S truly was from the ground. Also tends to scrape the ground getting in and out of driveways. Can be managed with adjustable suspension, but not practical for every situation.
5. Low to the ground #2. I’m over 50 now and for me getting in and out several times everyday isn’t a big problem, but it definitely wasn’t enjoyable. This may not be an issue for your wife depending on her age, height and weight. My small, 4 foot 11 inch wife had no problems. :). Again, YMMV
6. Pretty much software feature locked. Some small things will still happened, but sentry mode and similar features will never happen.
7. Slower charging

Model Y advantages
1. By almost all accounts, it’s more bang for the buck, at least physically for your dollar. 2. Better tech, batteries, AP, your going to enjoy the features for years to come and further improvements and enhancements with software updates that are yet to exist.
3. Will have a higher resale value, even from Model 3. The market currently dictates that a compact SUV is more desired than a sedan. Not close in this department.
4. Easier to park
5. Easier U-turns
6. Higher off the ground to avoid problems with parking curbs
7. Easier to get in and out of
8. More practical vehicle for small families
9. Fast charging rates, less wait at a super charger
10. Sentry mode, games, streaming videos (MCU1)

Hope these words inspire and enlighten your mind in a some small way.
Chuck

This is my response from a previous posting here a while back. Same subject. A 2017 MS is running MCU1, so that applies.

My two cents. From my signature you’ll see my conclusions. Here’s why.

Model S advantages
1. Premium car. It’s Tesla’s flagship. Feels and looks fantastic. Beautiful and appreciated by all car lovers. It’s special and will always be. Becoming an iconic legend. It speaks to everyone. Nothing like it.
2. Dual displays. The single display is a bit ahead of its time as it will be better suited for Level 3 and 4 autonomous driving. Put another way, current driving experience is definitely more suited for dual displays. The S and X definitely enjoy that and is preferred by myself hands down. I really love it.

Model S disadvantages
1. All top end luxury cars suffer from cost to value exponential curve.
2. MCU1 is lacking. Maybe a retrofit option will arrive, but will probably be at a premium price. I think too much risk for the return of value. YMMV
3. Long car. Going to be more difficult to park in the garage and in public parking areas. Also won’t have a tight turning radius. Noticeable in U-turn situations.
4. Low to the ground. After ripping off my front bumper when pulling away from my parking sport, I soon realized how low my Model S truly was from the ground. Also tends to scrape the ground getting in and out of driveways. Can be managed with adjustable suspension, but not practical for every situation.
5. Low to the ground #2. I’m over 50 now and for me getting in and out several times everyday isn’t a big problem, but it definitely wasn’t enjoyable. This may not be an issue for your wife depending on her age, height and weight. My small, 4 foot 11 inch wife had no problems. :). Again, YMMV
6. Pretty much software feature locked. Some small things will still happened, but sentry mode and similar features will never happen.
7. Slower charging

Model Y advantages
1. By almost all accounts, it’s more bang for the buck, at least physically for your dollar. 2. Better tech, batteries, AP, your going to enjoy the features for years to come and further improvements and enhancements with software updates that are yet to exist.
3. Will have a higher resale value, even from Model 3. The market currently dictates that a compact SUV is more desired than a sedan. Not close in this department.
4. Easier to park
5. Easier U-turns
6. Higher off the ground to avoid problems with parking curbs
7. Easier to get in and out of
8. More practical vehicle for small families
9. Fast charging rates, less wait at a super charger
10. Sentry mode, games, streaming videos (MCU1)

Hope these words inspire and enlighten your mind in a some small way.
Chuck

Very well said. In point 6 though, while true once, Sentry mode is now available for Model S and X. So you may want to fix that. Another thing that I read in many places (which in general is true with any luxury vehicle) driving 3 (and/or possibly Y) somehow feels less wasteful compared to driving a X or an S, especially when a single person is driving, just feels wasteful resources. Why does a single person need such a big car? So on one side you want to save the planet by buying electric and then on the other hand you are so wasteful. Doesn't add up. If you truly care about env, buy a Y and donate the remaining $$ for environmental causes (even battery research) that you would have spent buying and S or and X.

I'll be in the same boat next year. I'm looking at the Y to replace my S (or to even get a new S). With the kids now becoming teenagers, I'm looking to see whether there's any better legroom in the Y and how it'll be for ingress/egress for them. Space-wise, I think it's pretty much a wash, although hopefully the rear door opening will be a bit more amendable.

2017 S Pros: Panoramic Sunroof (still like opening it up), dual screens, biohazard, air suspension, handles (my opinion), powered hatchback, free supercharging (not available on the new ones), free connectivity, overall comfort and dual chargers so you can charge at a higher rate on destination chargers (up to 80amps vs 40 for new Teslas), longer range.
2017 S Cons: no dashcam function or true recordable Sentry Mode, older battery tech, older AP hardware (unclear whether Tesla will upgrade this properly including the updated camera and sensor suite), MCU1, no trailer hitch.

Y Pros: smaller footprint will make it easier to park, better outward vision, maybe more storage room, AP3, MCU2, wireless charging for phones, newer batteries with faster charging rates at Superchargers, full regen to stop.
Y Cons: less switches for primary functions (lights, windshield washers, etc), unsure of body as aluminium of the S is expensive to repair (I've heard the Y will still be aluminium), no biohazard, no air or raven suspension, unsure of powered trunk lift, slower charging at destination chargers.

2020 S Pros (with some conjecture): All of S pros from above. Raven suspension, new and better motors with potential for 3 motors, unsure of vented seats (except on the Performance), longer range, updated MCU and AP, full regen to stop. better batteries coming,
2020 Neutral: interior changes (colors and materials), possible rollout of single center screen.
2020 S Cons: no panoramic sunroof, no dual chargers, slower Supercharging than on the 3/Y, no lifetime free supercharging, no lifetime data. No trailer hitch.

I guess it'll also be a question of what to do with the optional equipment I've already got - extra wheels with snow tires, roof rack, chademo adapter, extra mats and winter mats, UV/IR rejecting tint.

At least I've got some time to figure it all out.

For me, this will likely come down to ride quality and road noise. Teslas in general aren’t exactly top tier in this regard and the 3 is generally regarded as being worse than the S in both. Taking a car and raising the center of gravity and weight (I.e. Model 3 to Y), could further result in both of these areas being worse than the 3 unless Tesla plays close attention to them. Indeed, I wish they would realize the Y’s target audience might be a lot different than the 3 and de-prioritize the full on “sport” suspension...or heck, do what BMW does, and just make it an option.

Hi everyone!

Hoping you don’t mind if I ask for some opinions here. I leased a 2017 model S 75D three years ago now and my lease will be up soon, and my original plan was to buy it out at the end. We’re now a family of three, about to be four in June, and I’m worried a bit about space. There are a lot of great features in both cars so I’m hoping to skim your brains for opinions and logic. (I know preferences are always different for different people but I like to research any how).

I paid for the autopilot upgrade and FSD when they were offering the free hardware upgrades for users to HW3, and I’ve confirmed with my local parts center my car does indeed qualify for the upgrade when it’s available.
I also currently have unlimited supercharging.

the Y is beautiful and has a lot of great new features and tech my current car doesn’t, but mine has a lot of luxury features I guess the Y may not?

Ive since preordered a Y thanks to the news of the earning call, I “preordered” the Performance performance edition but I’m still a little worried or on the fence and so I’d love any thoughts you’d be willing to share.

my current model S:
75D with 21” wheels and the unlock on the motors, premium interior with sound upgrades and Ap FSD.

thanks again everyone!
I currently have a 2012 Model S P85 with production VIN under 2000 and 69000 miles. I have a preorder in since launch for performance Y, but now having second thoughts about giving up my S for the Y, especially given the really low trade in value I was quoted by Tesla.