TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do I dare : Firmware 6.2

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by smartypnz, Mar 18, 2015.

1. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

With all the revisions of 6.1 (I have no idea how far behind my S is), I have a feeling 6.2 is about to be born.

2. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

Cmon, is the presser to announce 6.2 this Thursday a giveaway or what? methinks smarty wants to be OP of a big, sticky thread :)

3. smartypnz

smartypnz Member

hahahaha
    ok, how do I delete the thread?

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

My prediction: v6.2 will come soon with some tidy ups and small improvements. The big Thursday announcement will be a couple months out and will be a bigger version jump e.g. v6.5 or v7.0

5. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Actually, Elon said that he'd be discussing the contents of 6.2 on Thursday at the press call.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Well that shows how smart I am then doesn't it.....:redface:

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

No, it just means you missed his talk yesterday at the Nvidia conference where he made the comment. :wink:

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Elon said something else interesting at the conference, but I haven't seen anyone picking up on it. He said that current Tesla hardware will not be able to do urban autonomous driving. Urban autonomous would require a new sensor suite. Maybe everyone already knew this...

9. 647chang

647chang Member

Been told by a little bird that blind spot monitoring is coming soon. Maybe this will be on the next up date.

10. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

There has been some discussion of the sensors that were omitted in the various threads. No rear facing camera, no midrange proximity sensors, etc. I do think this is the first time Tesla themselves have acknowledged it.

- - - Updated - - -

That is absolutely my #1 wishlist item. I actually decided against Tesla because they lacked this feature and changed my mind after the D announcement, so I'm very eager to see it implemented.

11. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

My prediction? Elon will announce a ton of cool features. One or two of them will be in 6.2 which will then start rolling out slowly, but all the interesting things will be in "future updates" :)

12. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

They already have a pretty impressive backlog of cool features yet to be implemented.

13. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

As well as a pretty cool list already implemented!

14. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

I'm still waiting for the software update which allows my Model S to fold up into a briefcase just like George Jetson's car. :smile:

15. Joer293

Joer293 MODEL X P100DL

6 firmware versions later, and I'm still waiting for the App store/developer kit initially announced for the cars 17" infotainment unit. or at least, better Car play integration so we can create iPhone apps that make better use of the Tesla voice recognition, and screen while driving.

16. dirkhh

Funnily enough, IIRC that was the same presentation in Germany in Nov 2013 where Elon talked about the SDK and about the wind / weather / charging aware nav improvement.

17. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

I think you're right 6.2 is right around the corner, but I don't think that's a good reason to hold off on 6.1. Since .179 we haven't seen much movement on 6.1. There's been a handful of reports of cars having newer versions since then (someone reporting .180 on a new car and a report of .220 installed by service). But there's not been a big push of versions to a bunch of people. Which makes me think they've got significant bugs worked out on 6.1 and are holding anything else to 6.2.

As I understand it you have to go through the version your car has already downloaded, so you might as well just update to whatever you have waiting to install.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Curious considering the relatively recent comment saying the hardware wouldn't be significantly upgraded in that area for the next 2 years. (Or something like that.)

- - - Updated - - -

My impression is that this is overstating it. I would phrase it this way:
    "Implementation undergoing testing and refinement" is quite different from "not implemented".

19. dirkhh

I had a chance to speak to a coworker doing research into autonomous driving (I love my job) and she pointed out to me that current state of the art assumption is that for truly autonomous driving in a crowded environment (i.e., inner city) you need at least half a dozen cameras for this to work. So I'm not that surprised that Elon expects to need more sensors...

20. Barry

Barry Member

6.2 includes real submarine wings :smile: