Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I even own this car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I “bought” a model x during the end of the quarter rush the end of October. When I went to the store for delivery I was told it wasn’t ready but that it could be dropped off at my house the following day. This occurred without a hitch. I received the car and went on with my life.

The first two weeks the car was great, It served our needs quite well. On a random Tuesday afternoon the cars front passenger window was smashed out in an attempt at burglary although there was nothing of value in the car. We filed a police report and tried getting the window replaced through tesla but after many hours spent on the phone and in correspondence we decided to order a new window through Safelite. We have now been waiting 3+ weeks.

Also during this time I started to notice that we hadn’t recieved any correspondence from the loan company organized through tesla. I didn’t think much of it until our temporary tags were about to expire. I called the tesla store we bought the car from and after numerous attempts I finally got through to someone. It seems that the original paperwork was never properly executed or at least they asked me to sign the mvpa again and send it to them. I quickly did so and sent it to the person at the tesla store. Many more days passed and my tags were now expired so in addition to not having a passenger window, the car was now also undrivable due to the tags being expired. I emailed, called and texted to no avail. Finally, I received a call from a different employee who again asked for the signed mvpa. I promptly forwarded it to her. She also asked for a hard copy. This was three days ago and I am very busy with work and didn’t have the time to print it off and drop it in the mail. Either way, I got absolutely no response after I emailed and texted again. The car has now been sitting with expired tags for 15 days with little to no response from tesla.

Meanwhile I figured my first loan payment should be coming up so I call the loan company. Guess what? They have absolutely no record of me and no account in my name. I have no idea why this is other than tesla must not have finalized the loan I guess?

So, I have had the car approximately 45 days and put about 1500 miles on it in the first three weeks. In the latter half of that time the car has been undrivable first to not being able to have the front passenger window replaced and also for 2+ weeks due to not having appropriate license/registration. All this with little to no response or help from tesla and as it seems, no loan was ever executed on my behalf. At this point I am totally appalled at the company and do not want a car that is essentially a lawn ornament and little more. Do I have any recourse? I mean, I can’t even get someone at tesla on the phone let alone for someone to actually follow up and help me out with any of this. I feel like calling someone at tesla corporate and telling them to come pick up their car. Advice?

Ugh, sounds horrible. Have you tried using the escalation team via your car’s management page? You should definately be speaking to the escallation team at this point, not a DA or OA.

Had similar issues with a traded in leased vehicle that simply didn’t get resolved until I went that route, and even then it took many back and forths.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Ugh, sounds horrible. Have you tried using the escalation team via your car’s management page? You should definately be speaking to the escallation team at this point, not a DA or OA.

Had similar issues with a traded in leased vehicle that simply didn’t get resolved until I went that route, and even then it took many back and forths.
That’s the next step it seems although I would really like to know what my options legally are prior to doing so.

The car has now been sitting with expired tags for 15 days with little to no response from tesla.
Have you checked the reverse side of the temp tags? Chances are there is another month worth of validity attached there.

Sorry to hear about the smashed window. It sucks when it happens, regardless if the car is new or used. Hope you get it all sorted out soon!

Tesla so screwed up my 2014 Model S P85+ registration back in March 2014 that it took six months and Tesla to give up and abandon me and the process completely, so I was finally free to go to the dmv and register my own car. Got so used to not having plates that once I got the plates i threw them in the glove box and forgot all about them. I drove without plates for over 3 years, and nothing ever happened. There are so many new Teslas running around the country a well kept years old one looks exactly like a brand new one to most people. My wife finally had enough and she put the plates on the car, but there was nothing forcing us to do it.

I’m hopefully picking up my new Model X P100D at the Fremont factory tomorrow and I expect Tesla to similarly screw up my registration, and again insist on not letting me take care of it, causing months of delays and expired temp tags becoming the order of the day again, and if so I’ll not be in a hurry to put the plates on again.

The OP currently has a free car; pay for a new window install and drive the heck out of that car. It sounds like it’s his to enjoy with little to no obligation to do anything with it, like carry an expensive auto loan that Tesla has currently gifted to him at zero dollars a month!

Sorry to hear about your troubles but sadly I'm not surprised. I've never dealt with a company so ill equipped or trained for what they are doing. It's almost like they made a car and then decided a few years later to try and sell them without actually talking to anyone that has sold a car. We've dealt with grossly inaccurate delivery estimates that don't get firm until after the refundable window is closed (really sketchy feeling BTW), complete lack of response from the sales team after the sale, refusal by Tesla main customer service to engage a manager on our behalf, non response to emails for support after the sale and 1 hour plus hold times if you try to call in. Just mind boggling that the support you get for a $100k purchase is lower quality than a $25k toyota. Scares the hell out of me to be honest knowing I've got this car that probably can't get support but I'm along for the ride now.

If I were in your shoes I'd still drive the car (after the window is fixed of course) but keep the paperwork in the globebox for if you get pulled over. For the people saying it's not a big deal, be glad you live where it's not. In one of our areas the police actually roll down the streets at night running plates of cars sitting in front of houses for registration lapses. Once when I had failed an inspection and was waiting for the car to "reset" I was driving with expired tags. Pulled over twice in as many days and had to show the paper that indicated a failure and grace period for re-inspection.

• Love
Reactions: wayneco and neroden
Update: still no response from tesla but I did receive my plates yesterday. So now I have a legal car with no loan that I can tell. Definitely feel weird about that but I have more than done my due diligence trying to rectify this. I guess if they want their money they will come knocking.

Maybe you should move, with no forwarding address.;)

• Funny
Stop calling Tesla to force them to bill you for your car. It’s not your job, you signed in good faith, now let it go. Enjoy your car. If someday they sheepishly call to ask, tell them you reached out, they were their typically chaotic post sale selves and you eventually gave up trying., You’ve done your part, and when someday in the future they are ready to bill you for the car... they will at that time.

Well, I finally got the bank documents in the mail, a month after the first payment was due and without any correspondence or response to my multiple calls and emails to tesla. I could get over this but I still don’t have a replacement window and an $90,000 lawn ornament is a bit excessive to me. Seriously, 2.5 months with a window on order with multiple calls and emails and no response. Beyond frustrating. It’s really sad because the company has some absolutely amazing innovation but screws up the most basic things beyond belief. Anyone in the market for a low mileage 2018 X without a front passenger window?

• Informative