TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do I have a SPORT motor in my BASE roadster?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by m0rph, Jul 31, 2015.

1. m0rph

m0rph Member

During the cleaning, I took a picture of the labels on my motor. It mentions "SPORT" on both labels. If so, I would think one day I can make it run like a SPORT, as the PEMs in both cars should be identical (based on a user here that had his PEM replaced under warranty, and he received a sport labelled PEM in his base car). Then it would only require a PEM firmware upgrade..

My car was built as one of the very latest (November 2011), so it might be possible that they had more sport motors on stock and decided to go this route.

WP_20150718_17_16_40_Pro.jpg

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Maybe now that Roadster is long out of production, someone will finally come forward and let us know specifically what is different between sport and non-sport motor & PEM. For now, I think we are only guessing what could be different. At one point I recall them saying that Sport motors were "hand wound" (as apposed to "machine wound" I assume.)
    Some speculated that the Sport PEM had extra IGBTs to provide more current. Just because a non-sport car got a Sport PEM installed and working, doesn't necessarily mean you turn a non-Sport into a Sport with just a firmware change on your non-Sport PEM. You may have jumped to the wrong conclusion there. The PEMs could have more differences than just firmware.

3. gregd

gregd Member

The service center told me that the only difference between the two PEMs is the firmware and the label on top. I've got a 2.0 non-Sport, and in the process of fixing the numerous Power Train fault (1144-type) alarms I ended up with a PEM with a Sport label on it, so I asked. That's what they told me. (Yeah, I'm bummed that it's not a better one too...)

I recall reading somewhere that the Sport motors have more turns in the coils, presumably using a manual winding process to accomplish that.

4. 7racer

7racer Member

that's what they told me as well for my late (RIP) #1400

however, the coils were hand wound and from what was told to me, sometimes they would add more. When the service center drove my car, they said it was noticeably different (faster) than any other sport they have had.

5. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

You're lucky. My 2010 sport motor says "Made in Taiwan", although I'm not sure how much "assembly" takes place in the USA.

6. Stefan T

Stefan T Member

I have base Roadster and a sport motor

IMGP6921krump.jpg