Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have a SPORT motor in my BASE roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the cleaning, I took a picture of the labels on my motor. It mentions "SPORT" on both labels. If so, I would think one day I can make it run like a SPORT, as the PEMs in both cars should be identical (based on a user here that had his PEM replaced under warranty, and he received a sport labelled PEM in his base car). Then it would only require a PEM firmware upgrade..

My car was built as one of the very latest (November 2011), so it might be possible that they had more sport motors on stock and decided to go this route.

WP_20150718_17_16_40_Pro.jpg

Maybe now that Roadster is long out of production, someone will finally come forward and let us know specifically what is different between sport and non-sport motor & PEM. For now, I think we are only guessing what could be different. At one point I recall them saying that Sport motors were "hand wound" (as apposed to "machine wound" I assume.)
Some speculated that the Sport PEM had extra IGBTs to provide more current. Just because a non-sport car got a Sport PEM installed and working, doesn't necessarily mean you turn a non-Sport into a Sport with just a firmware change on your non-Sport PEM. You may have jumped to the wrong conclusion there. The PEMs could have more differences than just firmware.

Maybe now that Roadster is long out of production, someone will finally come forward and let us know specifically what is different between sport and non-sport motor & PEM. For now, I think we are only guessing what could be different. At one point I recall them saying that Sport motors were "hand wound" (as apposed to "machine wound" I assume.)
Some speculated that the Sport PEM had extra IGBTs to provide more current. Just because a non-sport car got a Sport PEM installed and working, doesn't necessarily mean you turn a non-Sport into a Sport with just a firmware change on your non-Sport PEM. You may have jumped to the wrong conclusion there. The PEMs could have more differences than just firmware.

The service center told me that the only difference between the two PEMs is the firmware and the label on top. I've got a 2.0 non-Sport, and in the process of fixing the numerous Power Train fault (1144-type) alarms I ended up with a PEM with a Sport label on it, so I asked. That's what they told me. (Yeah, I'm bummed that it's not a better one too...)

I recall reading somewhere that the Sport motors have more turns in the coils, presumably using a manual winding process to accomplish that.

The service center told me that the only difference between the two PEMs is the firmware and the label on top. I've got a 2.0 non-Sport, and in the process of fixing the numerous Power Train fault (1144-type) alarms I ended up with a PEM with a Sport label on it, so I asked. That's what they told me. (Yeah, I'm bummed that it's not a better one too...)

I recall reading somewhere that the Sport motors have more turns in the coils, presumably using a manual winding process to accomplish that.

that's what they told me as well for my late (RIP) #1400

however, the coils were hand wound and from what was told to me, sometimes they would add more. When the service center drove my car, they said it was noticeably different (faster) than any other sport they have had.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
You're lucky. My 2010 sport motor says "Made in Taiwan", although I'm not sure how much "assembly" takes place in the USA.

During the cleaning, I took a picture of the labels on my motor. It mentions "SPORT" on both labels. If so, I would think one day I can make it run like a SPORT, as the PEMs in both cars should be identical (based on a user here that had his PEM replaced under warranty, and he received a sport labelled PEM in his base car). Then it would only require a PEM firmware upgrade..

My car was built as one of the very latest (November 2011), so it might be possible that they had more sport motors on stock and decided to go this route.

View attachment 89044

My *guess* is that the PEMs are the same other than the sport label. I also would guess that they would only have one set of firmware code. However, the code would key off of the coded VIN number for the car, and simply run a different algorithm for the sport model. If this is the case, that would mean the cars performance is baked into the DNA of the car based on the VIN number.

My *guess* is that the PEMs are the same other than the sport label. I also would guess that they would only have one set of firmware code. However, the code would key off of the coded VIN number for the car, and simply run a different algorithm for the sport model. If this is the case, that would mean the cars performance is baked into the DNA of the car based on the VIN number.
When I got my PEM replaced last year, the one I receive had a Roadster Sport label on it, so I asked. I was told it was the same PEM hardware, but different firmware between the Sport and non-Sport versions (which they took care of at the time of the swap). At the last service, they finally remembered they needed to swap the label, and took care of that too. The 1.5 cars, of course, have different hardware from the 2.x, and no sport version.

I got a PEM with base badges on a Roadster Sport... How to assure if it is programmed as a Sport PEM?
Floor it with the VDS in peak mode. If you get 290 ftlbs of torque you have a sport, With 270 ftlbs you have a standard Roadster. Alternatively you can look at the odometer/amps meter and if you peak at at 700 amps you are standard but if you go to 900 amps you have a Sport.

Just make sure you have a clear road or better yet go to a local drag strip.

• Informative
Reactions: snd92
Floor it with the VDS in peak mode. If you get 290 ftlbs of torque you have a sport, With 270 ftlbs you have a standard Roadster. Alternatively you can look at the odometer/amps meter and if you peak at at 700 amps you are standard but if you go to 900 amps you have a Sport.
So, the meter on my standard 2.0 dash pegs at 200kw. That's only 533 amps (at 375 v). How do you get 700 amps (262kw) to the motor? Nobody's complained about bent needles...

Just make sure you have a clear road or better yet go to a local drag strip.

Thanks :) Found out that my Sport has 700 amp and 264 ftlb. Off to SC to evaluate what to do next...

Edit: Service tech: All PEMs have the same firmware. Me: Well, the numbers don't lie. Maybe the motor is base version? Service tech: Well how old is your Roadster? Me: That doesn't matter. Are you telling me that an old Sport becomes a Base when it is old?... End of discussion.

Last edited:
Thanks :) Found out that my Sport has 700 amp and 264 ftlb. Off to SC to evaluate what to do next...

Edit: Service tech: All PEMs have the same firmware. Me: Well, the numbers don't lie. Maybe the motor is base version? Service tech: Well how old is your Roadster? Me: That doesn't matter. Are you telling me that an old Sport becomes a Base when it is old?... End of discussion.
Did you put it in performance mode? I'm under the impression that 2.x versions need to be in performance mode to squeeze out the last little bit of performance.

Reactions: dhrivnak
...All PEMs have the same firmware...

At a minimum that isn't true because 1.5's have different firmware from 2.x's, and various Roadsters have different updates applied.
But it is possible that Sport and Base 2.x could use the same firmware, and just give extra "oomph" if the car's VIN is for a Sport.

Do you know about red vs white mode on the VDS? You may not get full current if something is too hot at the time.
Red "Performance" mode versus White "Performance" mode?