Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have enough capacity for another 240volt outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
On the left top are the circuits for my existing mobile charger with nema 14-50. Wired with 6guage as recommended by Tesla. Zero issues/all good.

about to buy my second Tesla and want to add another 240volt for second charger and nema 14-50.

based on this (dedicated panel for my garage) photo, am I good to go in adding another 240volt outlet/circuit? I’m assuming I’m good, as I interpret the photos to mean I have a 200amp panel, and I can go a total load of twice that capacity, for a total of 400amps, correct?

If so, which side of the panel should I add it to?
Also, is 50/50 breaker overkill for a 32amp charging capacity?

Attachments

• C1D33C5A-0939-4F44-A262-E74A8571494A.jpeg
    C1D33C5A-0939-4F44-A262-E74A8571494A.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 4610B0BD-8012-4254-A7B3-3E8933285EAF.jpeg
    4610B0BD-8012-4254-A7B3-3E8933285EAF.jpeg
    583.6 KB · Views: 83
Looks like your garage subpanel is rated at 125 A max, but that’s just rated. You have 100A main breaker in the lower right which at first glance indicates that’s the max capacity of that circuit feeding the panel...but it’s worth tracing it back to the main panel to verify.
So *if* you have 100A total capacity for that panel and are charging two cars at a steady state of 64A combined, the only leaves 36A left and you have 50A combined in those two AC circuits which are notorious for pulling large amp loads in startup (as opposed to EVs which start low and ramp up). In other words it’s close and probably should be evaluated by an electrician.

Looks like your garage subpanel is rated at 125 A max, but that’s just rated. You have 100A main breaker in the lower right which at first glance indicates that’s the max capacity of that circuit feeding the panel...but it’s worth tracing it back to the main panel to verify.
So *if* you have 100A total capacity for that panel and are charging two cars at a steady state of 64A combined, the only leaves 36A left and you have 50A combined in those two AC circuits which are notorious for pulling large amp loads in startup (as opposed to EVs which start low and ramp up). In other words it’s close and probably should be evaluated by an electrician.

I agree, the A/C's concern me as well as not knowing what else is running off the 120v breakers.

On the left top are the circuits for my existing mobile charger with nema 14-50. Wired with 6guage as recommended by Tesla. Zero issues/all good.

about to buy my second Tesla and want to add another 240volt for second charger and nema 14-50.

based on this (dedicated panel for my garage) photo, am I good to go in adding another 240volt outlet/circuit? I’m assuming I’m good, as I interpret the photos to mean I have a 200amp panel, and I can go a total load of twice that capacity, for a total of 400amps, correct?

If so, which side of the panel should I add it to?
Also, is 50/50 breaker overkill for a 32amp charging capacity?
The very first information box of your panel tells you that it's max rating is 125 amps, unless you're in New York City in which case it's 100 amps (see the second info box). However, you only have a 100A main breaker on that panel, so regardless of where you are that's at most the limit right now. It could be less than that depending on the feed from your main panel to the garage subpanel. I'm not trying to be offensive, but the nature of your questions (which badly misunderstand load calculations and panel limits), that you missed the 100% obvious answer right in front of you, and that you so badly miscalculated what would be acceptable means that you need to hire a professional to do this work for you. And just to be safe, you should have them double check any prior electrical work you did on your own while you're at it. Sorry.

Got it. Checked the house panel feeding the garage. 90amp. So 90 is my max simultaneous amp usage for the garage even though it’s a 125amp panel/even though main breakers at the garage box show 100amp.

And if I have both ac units on, that’s a total of 50 right there. Add 32amps from the current nema 14-50, and I’m at 82amps potentially. So running two nema 14-50’s at 32amps at same time isn’t a go, as in a situation where one or both AC units kick on, and I’ve hit circuit overload. Best case, a breaker would trip.
In short, not enough capacity to safely add another nema 14-50 as I’d have to remember to only use one at a time and/or reduce charging amperage while charging simultaneously, when units are in use.

so no, far too much risk

Reactions: tstolze